***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT MICHIGAN IN-GAME THREAD TWAS NIGHT BEFORE XMAS THEME!!!***

Gritty performance tonight. Battle looks like he might have Vince Grier-type impact. When he’s hot, he can carry a team. I don’t know what Charleston did to Willis, but he’s not the same wallflower he was two years ago.

The start to this season has exceeded all expectations. I expected the guys we brought in to be ok since they were all quality players at their respective schools, but to go on the road to Michigan and come away with a 10 point victory was not something I dreamed would be possible when this group was assembled.
On only 2 assists and no help from Sutherlin, Curry showed his weakness,. But then again only 4 turnovers.

The broadcast showed a graphic with about 4 minutes left that showed the Gophers with 7 turnovers the past 2 games and 4 tonight (which is where the number of turnovers ended) like it was an indictment of a higher number of turnovers.

11 total turnovers the past 3 games.

I love this team, and the way they are playing!

Ski-U-Mah!

Hats off to thee, Coach Ben Johnson!

I'm trying to stay realistic. this team has flaws, and there will be some difficult games as they work through the B1G schedule.

But, I am starting to think that the Gophers could very well be an NIT team.
3 more non-conf games, then 18 conference games. If they go 10-11 the rest of the way, that puts them at 18-12 for the season going into the B1G tournament.

That should be good enough for an NIT bid. Shoot, even 17-13 might be good enough for the NIT.

Wow! Again this team stuns me. That was a legit performance. Well coached and well played. Another 4 turnover game and 50% shooting and this time not badly out rebounded, only a 6 board deficit.
They battled. They played great defense and got rewarded. Great job by coach Ben and team!

Just looked and saw there were only 2 assists. Pretty shocking stat, but they were clearly looking for switches and certain matchups.
Hot shooting always helps.
They had 17 assists to 3 turnovers on Wed. which shows me that this team can adapt and change based on what the defense give them. They'll move the ball around the perimeter if needed to find an open shooter or they can drive to the basket depending on the circumstances.

On only 2 assists and no help from Sutherlin, Curry showed his weakness,. But then again only 4 turnovers.
Lol. Just got a 10 point road win over a team you said would beat us by 20.

you are really working hard to find ways to be negative about this team. Just enjoy the season, much more fun that way.

This is not as easy a job as many thinks, but there is a path that can be successful. Ben obviously is in tune on this. I really like how hard they play and with a defensive focus. This program is fun it’ll continue to get better.

I left with about 7 minutes left in the first half. It started about 45 minutes after it was scheduled to start because other games were taking too long. Carrington had just picked up his second foul and was headed to the bench, so I split. They were down a couple of points to Wayzata. Wayzata has a pretty good sized big. 6' 9", not skinny at all. He was causing headaches for Park Center. Watched Winter and Robison earlier in the day. Payne still not playing for Park Cottage Grove. Assume he must be injured.
Thanks and sound like a great day.

ant tidbits on Carrington which stood out to you?
What s as bout our Lakeville targets?

This is not as easy a job as many thinks, but there is a path that can be successful. Ben obviously is in tune on this. I really like how hard they play and with a defensive focus. This program is fun it’ll continue to get better.
Although this may not be as easy a job as some might think, it's also not as difficult as some recent occupants of the position have made it look.

The start to this season has exceeded all expectations. I expected the guys we brought in to be ok since they were all quality players at their respective schools, but to go on the road to Michigan and come away with a 10 point victory was not something I dreamed would be possible when this group was assembled.
Interesting that you mention victory.
This season is all about culture. Not wins.

Assume you are just trying to be a prick and that on some level you get that you can enjoy a win while still believing that the won/loss record is not ultimately going to be the most important thing for the team this year.

At least I hope that is the case.

Assume you are just trying to be a prick and that on some level you get that you can enjoy a win while still believing that the won/loss record is not ultimately going to be the most important thing for the team this year.

At least I hope that is the case.
You set the stage, champ. Culture. Not wins.

Although this may not be as easy a job as some might think, it's also not as difficult as some recent occupants of the position have made it look.
Coaching that is hyper focused on playing together, taking quality shots, taking caring of the ball and playing great defense , combined with 4 seniors can produce remarkable results. Said all this when they secured Thorson.

Good defense, not being sloppy with the ball, and the wins are coming. What’s not to like so far??? I’m honestly confused what someone could be grumpy about.
I think this team is a joy to watch. Not grumpy in the least.
“Team Culture” is now focusing on wins. As I have stated wins are the reason games are played.

Good defense, not being sloppy with the ball, and the wins are coming. What’s not to like so far??? I’m honestly confused what someone could be grumpy about.
I offended him by having the audacity to suggest this team won’t ultimately be judged by their W/L record.

Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, their next opponent, is 9-1
Their only loss was to Texas A&M 86-65
They are on an 8 game win streak
TeamRankings.com is giving the Gophers a 95.9 chance of winning this game. Based on yesterdays game the have the odds of making the NCAA tournament at 63%. Lot of games left to play though.

TeamRankings.com is giving the Gophers a 95.9 chance of winning this game. Based on yesterdays game the have the odds of making the NCAA tournament at 63%. Lot of games left to play though.
Was just thinking of this game. Good test for the Gophers. Do they rest on their laurels after the big road win, or come out and take care of business? Hoping the latter.

Great win. The team plays smart and composed on both sides of the court. Undoubtedly one of the smartest playing Gopher teams in quite some time so far this year.

Does anyone know if Fox has a chance to come back this year?
I think I heard someone say something about January? But unless the gophers are on an absolute tear, and have a chance at the dance, I would medically redshirt him and have him for 2 years with a more talented roster.

You are starting to see winning and culture isn’t a chicken or egg conversation. One is required for the other to happen.

Top Bottom