***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT IOWA BIG TEN OPENER IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Oh stop it you cant blame carr for that, but for some reason we ALWAYS shoot horrific on the road. Always 2 or 3 no shows. Never can win that way! NEVER!

I wasn't blaming Carr. I was responding to a statement that Pitt must have been really bad in his freshman year.

there is no possible way Greenlee would help this team by starting....none

Ok, if you say so, he looks like one of the few that understands the game, the other is Hurt, to bad Hurt has such limited athletic ability.

Actually teams have shot like that and won but they play lockdown defense, hold teams to under 50 occasionally and steal games regularly on poor shooting nights.
You have to admit that is an outlier.
And your two guards going 1-20 is an outlier as well. What is the tell in this game is the lethargy with which the boys in maroon played. Such a lack of effort is a knock on preparation and willingness to work. Pitino takes some responsibility for this.

Ok, if you say so, he looks like one of the few that understands the game, the other is Hurt, to bad Hurt has such limited athletic ability.
It would have been better to give Hurt the green light to start chucking threes from anywhere. Odds would have been high that he goes better than 1-20.

Amazing that someone could say this after 6 + years. I guess for some people Pitino will always be blameless.
Can blame Pitino for the loss if ya want, but guys that have shown that they can shoot going 3-29 is inexcusable. When do these guys take responsibility for being no shows on the road all the time? Should we blame Pitino for Oturu traveling a million times? Sure, lets blame him, but when is Oturu gonna take it upon himself and figure it out. Pitino is the head coach so it starts from the top, but sooner or later players have to figure it out also.

Can blame Pitino for the loss if ya want, but guys that have shown that they can shoot going 3-29 is inexcusable. When do these guys take responsibility for being no shows on the road all the time? Should we blame Pitino for Oturu traveling a million times? Sure, lets blame him, but when is Oturu gonna take it upon himself and figure it out. Pitino is the head coach so it starts from the top, but sooner or later players have to figure it out also.
It would have been better to give Hurt the green light to start chucking threes from anywhere. Odds would have been high that he goes better than 1-20.
Agreed! I think the chances that you and I go better than 1-20 are pretty good lol Our 3 best 3 point shooters percentage wise are Oturu, Hurt, and Alihan. Sure they aren't shooting them as much, but the percentages don't lie!

well we will never know cause he will never start this year unless 2 of our 3 starting guards get hurt

You have to admit that is an outlier.
And your two guards going 1-20 is an outlier as well. What is the tell in this game is the lethargy with which the boys in maroon played. Such a lack of effort is a knock on preparation and willingness to work. Pitino takes some responsibility for this.
The fact is you just can't go 1-20. That means you are taking bad shots, or that you don't have enough skill to make open ones. Good players don't have these kinds of droughts that often. Heck at a D1 level, a wide open 3 point shot should be knocked down at about 50%.

I agree also with your comment about lethargy and effort.

I just wonder what this team would look like with a coach like John Beilien. He has proven he can take guys and put them in the best spots to maximize talent. The question is are these players good enough to do something if they had better spots. Kind of the chicken/egg conundrum. The players are not playing good no doubt but there is no way you can say Pitino is putting them in great spots.

And as far as depth, that has been my #1 gripe in Pitino's 7 years. Sure we hit on a Hollins/Mason/Murphy/Coffey but we NEVER have had depth. Good teams have 7-9 guys they can trust, we seem to be about a 1-3 guys a year and then its just a dart throw.

I just wonder what this team would look like with a coach like John Beilien. He has proven he can take guys and put them in the best spots to maximize talent. The question is are these players good enough to do something if they had better spots. Kind of the chicken/egg conundrum. The players are not playing good no doubt but there is no way you can say Pitino is putting them in great spots.

And as far as depth, that has been my #1 gripe in Pitino's 7 years. Sure we hit on a Hollins/Mason/Murphy/Coffey but we NEVER have had depth. Good teams have 7-9 guys they can trust, we seem to be about a 1-3 guys a year and then its just a dart throw.
yup missing open 3s are bad spots

When Carr was a freshman at Pitt and they went 0-18 in the ACC they had 11 newcomers, 0 starters back, and 3 total players with Division 1 experience. With that being said, I guess it was all Marcus Carr's fault. Unreal!

I think my main gripe with Pitino has been roster mismanagement. It seems like every year at most he has 5-6 guys he trusts, and if any of them go down, the year is lost. Can you imagine if Oturu gets injured this year? Between a few really bad recruiting misses, sit-out transfers, and "raw" freshman not ready to play in the big ten, I don't think he's had good depth a single year he's been here.

I think my main gripe with Pitino has been roster mismanagement. It seems like every year at most he has 5-6 guys he trusts, and if any of them go down, the year is lost. Can you imagine if Oturu gets injured this year? Between a few really bad recruiting misses, sit-out transfers, and "raw" freshman not ready to play in the big ten, I don't think he's had good depth a single year he's been here.
Yep- you are mostly correct. However, in one of his worst years he was set up with solid depth prior to the season. He had Lynch, Murphy, Coffey, Mason and McBrayer with Curry, Fitzgerald, IW (promising incoming frosh)Hurt and Konate and even Harris as a spot shooter coming off the bench. Not bad at all. Then that got blown up. Lots of recruiting misses early hurt him bad though- no doubt.

there is no possible way Greenlee would help this team by starting....none
I think he could help in a Zach Puchtel kind of way. He won't score, but he will play hard and play defense.

Exactly right. He had one year with a solid looking roster. The rest have been terrible at best. That is all on him.

Is this the worst game in Gopher BB history?

32 minutes, 0-10, 0 pts, 1 rb, 0 assists, 0 blocks, 0 steals, 1 TO, 4 fouls

32 minutes and all he can manage in a positive column is 1 rebound?

Gabe - Come one man!

I expected better. All I heard was how big Carr would be for this team. That was from fans and from Pitino himself. He's horrendous! I did not expect this bad of suck. 50 against that Iowa defense. We are so bad, I can't even be pissed.

Carr was fantastic against Clemson. It's amazing how a team's look can change when they don't make shots. Carr, Kalscheur and Willis were a combined 3-29 from the field. That probably won't happen again the rest of the season. Kalscheur sure won't go 0-10 again in a game.

I don't get how people can put this one on Pitino. He can't make the shots for them. They have to go out and find a way to make shots. The game plan gave them plenty of open looks, they just didn't go in. That will happen every now and then on the road in the Big Ten. The transition defense and turnovers need to be cleaned up, but overall I thought the effort was there. Kalscheur, Carr and Willis are much better than what they showed.

Heck, Penn State beat Maryland tonight. The Gophers could bounce back and beat Ohio State on Sunday. Anything is possible. I wouldn't hit the panic button after 1 road loss. If they start 0-5 or 2-7, the record speaks for itself.

Carr was fantastic against Clemson. It's amazing how a team's look can change when they don't make shots. Carr, Kalscheur and Willis were a combined 3-29 from the field. That probably won't happen again the rest of the season. Kalscheur sure won't go 0-10 again in a game.

I don't get how people can put this one on Pitino. He can't make the shots for them. They have to go out and find a way to make shots. The game plan gave them plenty of open looks, they just didn't go in. That will happen every now and then on the road in the Big Ten. The transition defense and turnovers need to be cleaned up, but overall I thought the effort was there. Kalscheur, Carr and Willis are much better than what they showed.

Heck, Penn State beat Maryland tonight. The Gophers could bounce back and beat Ohio State on Sunday. Anything is possible. I wouldn't hit the panic button after 1 road loss. If they start 0-5 or 2-7, the record speaks for itself.
Difference is...Clemson sucks and Penn State is a top 5 team in the B1G.
The only question is whether you take the over or under on a 20 point osu victory.

We've played plenty of games. Carr pretty much sucks.

When they shoot better against OSU and get run out, don't blame Pitino either.

Penn State is a much better team than we are so beating Maryland at home is not so surprising. Penn State likely will go the NCAA tournament this year. Maybe you haven't been keeping up with recent events.

We've played plenty of games. Carr pretty much sucks.

I don't think he sucks; that's unfair. But, when Carr clearly appears to be your second best player and he has to do much more than he is capable of doing, you're in trouble.

I realize upsets are the name of the game in college basketball, and I'm sure the Gophers will find theirs at some point this year, but declaring a possible upset over Ohio State is downright preposterous. They've quite honestly looked like the best team in the nation this year and it isn't even that close. They're deep, spread their offense out evenly between 8 guys, and play some of the most suffocating defense I've seen from a non-Virginia team in the past few years.

I do agree that you can't put the loss on Pitino, but you CAN blame him for not bringing in the talent needed to compete in the B1G. There is probable cause to believe that not a single guy in this freshman class will amount to anything more than a role/rotation type guy in their careers. That's a problem. We do have to wait on future development, but the fact that none of them can grab real minutes with this year's roster... thats telling IMO.

Top Bottom