***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT INDIANA IN-GAME THREAD***

So its hard to quantify how many are due to Pitino. Very few coaches will move the season ticket holder needle. May take years of winning which I don’t believe the next coach will achieve
Beilein is probably the only one that "moves the needle" enough to sell more tickets, but a new coach and hope are needed to retain the existing ones.

It’s not the 2021/2022 tickets ... it’s the 2021/2022 AND 2022/2023 tickets.

Beilein is probably the only one that "moves the needle" enough to sell more tickets, but a new coach and hope are needed to retain the existing ones.

Beilein doesn’t do it for me personally but I get what you’re saying. There are a few coaches I’d renew for, probably true for many fans. Hopefully if a change is made its the right hire. Been a tough 20+ years

This was a defensive loss not offensive ... look at Indiana’s shooting percentages ... score 10 give up 12 will always result in a a loss

Indiana shot 67% in 2nd half ...can you do that in an empty gym?

This was a defensive loss not offensive ... look at Indiana’s shooting percentages ... score 10 give up 12 will always result in a a loss
True. However, there is a special burden on this team to play great defense because we almost never shoot well. Our shooting is pathetic, some of it is shot selection and some of it just poor shooters or the wrong guys shooting.

True. However, there is a special burden on this team to play great defense because we almost never shoot well. Our shooting is pathetic, some of it is shot selection and some of it just poor shooters or the wrong guys shooting.
Gave up 67% in 2nd half... hold it to 50% (which is high) and probably win. Looking at the wrong end of the court. Defense has to win some games.

I highly doubt over 50% of the season ticket base bails if Pitino comes back.
50 percent may be an exaggeration but 20-25% is not. I’m bailing if he’s back and I consider myself very loyal. I will still cheer for the team but I don’t think the product warrants my financial support any longer and my heart couldn’t handle seeing the barn in such a sad state.

The long term habit of buying Gopher tickets ended with Covid. Now you have to give the fans a reason to return. I will. But many will not.

Good. Better seats for me. I am planning to get season tickets next year to go along with my football tickets.

The first half of this game felt like complete fools gold to me. Carr hit at least two really low percentage shots, Williams made a 3, Ihnen made a 3, and I believe they also had the Williams air ball that dropped in to someone's hand for a layup too. So just off the top of my head there were 10-12 points that were very fortunate. On the other end of the floor Indiana was committing a number of unforced turnovers. Being up just 2 at the half with the way the game had went didn't give me a lot of confidence.

For the game, the Gophers had a grand total of 6 assists on 24 made field goals. The criticism of the shooting is warranted, but this offense just so rarely creates an open layup or dunk and many of the 3's that are attempted would be 30% shots for good shooters, much less a couple of the Gophers who shoot them frequently.

Defensively, the Gophers gave up nearly 58% from the floor and were out rebounded 34-24. The defensive efforts against Rutgers (over 50% from the field for a limited offensive team) and Maryland (first time Maryland scored 70 in a B1G game since December 31 AND they had 44 at half) tell a very similar tale.

82 points is too many to give up and win. I was curious to see what they’d do on defense because IU is not a very dynamic offensive team. Didn’t do enough.
Perhaps not, however they have multiple guys who can make 3's. MN does not.
20 - 25% 3 point % will not get it done.

Your wife should post on GH, she sounds more fun than you.

She certainly is. I like watching gopher hoops a lot. But it gets harder and harder to justify the effort and cost of games. This team isn’t very good

That's bullshit bro!

They hire Musselman and start running ads about bringing the excitement back to the BARN with old films of McHale, Saunders and Sweet Georgia Brown. Minnesotans will load up their oxygen tanks and their walkers and storm the place for tickets. The younger generation will be swept in with the flow and sweet smell of Depends.

I know that this is way oversimplifying it. Still, I don't understand the idea of "well they shot it really well, and our shots weren't dropping, what is he/are we supposed to do?"

Like ... those are just rolls of the dice?

We can try to make them shoot it worse. And we can try to make it easier on ourselves to shoot it better. Those are things. Both by smart play and smart coaching.

The first half of this game felt like complete fools gold to me. Carr hit at least two really low percentage shots, Williams made a 3, Ihnen made a 3, and I believe they also had the Williams air ball that dropped in to someone's hand for a layup too. So just off the top of my head there were 10-12 points that were very fortunate. On the other end of the floor Indiana was committing a number of unforced turnovers. Being up just 2 at the half with the way the game had went didn't give me a lot of confidence.

For the game, the Gophers had a grand total of 6 assists on 24 made field goals. The criticism of the shooting is warranted, but this offense just so rarely creates an open layup or dunk and many of the 3's that are attempted would be 30% shots for good shooters, much less a couple of the Gophers who shoot them frequently.

Defensively, the Gophers gave up nearly 58% from the floor and were out rebounded 34-24. The defensive efforts against Rutgers (over 50% from the field for a limited offensive team) and Maryland (first time Maryland scored 70 in a B1G game since December 31 AND they had 44 at half) tell a very similar tale.
So, these types of things ..... are not rocket science.

What is Pitino's thinking on how the game should be played? I mean, does he tell the guys things like:

"don't worry about rebounds! don't worry about trying to get 'high percentage' shots! don't worry about that stuff, focus on what I'm telling you to focus on, and we'll win games" ??

Like, what is the way he wants to win games?? Has he ever just laid that out on the table?

That's bullshit bro!

They hire Musselman and start running ads about bringing the excitement back to the BARN with old films of McHale, Saunders and Sweet Georgia Brown. Minnesotans will load up their oxygen tanks and their walkers and storm the place for tickets. The younger generation will be swept in with the flow and sweet smell of Depends.

I think that says a lot about me that that ad would get my chili pretty daggum hot. But you're 100% right, most young people don't know who Bill Musselman is, much less his son.

I think that says a lot about me that that ad would get my chili pretty daggum hot. But you're 100% right, most young people don't know who Bill Musselman is, much less his son.
I'm 55 and that commercial would have my chili at 5 alarm level!

Add in the FULL BANANA uniforms with the circular GOLDEN GOPHERS on the front and my chili is boiling over!

Nostalgia is the best medicine to mediocrity and whatever this is.

I'd say mostly defense but offense in 2nd half was partly to blame. Jacking up 3's again and again as usual and overall a bunch of empty posessions.

Woof. I'm not in baseball mode yet. Lots of hoops left to watch. Will watch Serena as soon as this Gopher game ends.

I'm jacked for baseball especially after we are receiving our third significant Feb snowfall after 18 and 10 - this one is 6-9".

i guess we were due as it didn't snow at all last summer.

I seriously wonder if Serena every gets another one at this point.

I'm jacked for baseball especially after we are receiving our third significant Feb snowfall after 18 and 10 - this one is 6-9".

i guess we were due as it didn't snow at all last summer.

I seriously wonder if Serena every gets another one at this point.

I think she is still in that top 5 player conversation but how long can she remain there? She had some chances against Osaka in the 2nd set and couldn’t get it done. Amazing career either way. One of the dominant athletes of her generation.

I think anyone moves the needle along with a couple early in-state recruits.

I think anyone moves the needle along with a couple early in-state recruits.

I don't think most fans are obsessed (like GHers) about trying to figure out who will be or should be the next coach. I think they tend to give the new hire a fair amount of goodwill initially no matter who he is; that is particularly true when the prior coach really wore out his welcome (like Pitino). So, anyone who is hired likely will be greeted with an initial sense of hopeful interest. Of course, big names do generate more interest than little names.

I don't think most fans are obsessed (like GHers) about trying to figure out who will be or should be the next coach. I think they tend to give the new hire a fair amount of goodwill initially no matter who he is; that is particularly true when the prior coach really wore out his welcome (like Pitino). So, anyone who is hired likely will be greeted with an initial sense of hopeful interest. Of course, big names do generate more interest than little names.

I agree with this. GH is a weird group because we are the minority of fans.

My question is if we think a coach like Brian Dutcher does anything for the casual fan? I'm going to say no.

I agree with this. GH is a weird group because we are the minority of fans.

My question is if we think a coach like Brian Dutcher does anything for the casual fan? I'm going to say no.
I agree with this. I dont think Dutcher does anything for the casual fan, but neither does Medved/Smith. Your "casual" fan knows only the super big names. I will give you a prime example, my dad watches every Gophers game, if its Gophers he has it on. Beilien was announcing the game the other day, he asked why he was announcing during the NBA season as he was coaching. He had no idea he got fired in CLE. Thats to me what you casual fan knows. Thats why Tubby was such a big move at the time, EVERYONE knew tubby's name.

Top Bottom