***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT ILLINOIS IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

I think that's the point of referencing the number. On most nights, the Gophers (and every other team) win in a blowout at 1.48 ppp.
It doesn't make sense to me to compare the Gopher vs Illinois, both scoring over 1.4, to a game like Kansas vs Chicago State.

According to this tweet https://x.com/ALionEye/status/1763028539446591680?s=20, this is why the possession arrow didn't change in the first half.

It still doesn't make sense if you watch the replay. Domask goes for the layup and misses, and Fox and Garcia can't control the ball. There is nothing even close to a kicked ball that could have been called.

That wasn't what happened.

There was a tie ball. Illinois had the possession arrow. The are set to inbound under their basket.

Illinois attempted to inbound the ball and Fox kicked it. That's a violation. That violation now gives Illinois the ball for that reason and the possession arrow doesn't change directions as Illinois now has inbounding rights due to the kicking violation.

It is a dumb, stupid rule, but that's the rule. So, that's why Illinois kept the arrow. To me, the only reason they were inbounding to begin with is because of the arrow, so to me that's where the arrow should change. But, by rule, it doesn't change until Illinois gets actual possession of the ball after an inbound. But, they never fully took possession until after the kick. Strange rule, but that's the rule.

Last edited:

It doesn't make sense to me to compare the Gopher vs Illinois, both scoring over 1.4, to a game like Kansas vs Chicago State.

It is a simple stat. In the 312 games in the past 15 years where a team has averaged at least 1.48 ppp, only two have lost. That's 99.7% win rate. That's three out of 1000 losing a game like that.

I personally think it makes total sense to look at it, marvel at it, and then move on with life.

That's 99.7% win rate.
Well of course, when it’s a bunch of high level P5 teams blowing out bottom barrel low majors.

Those games aren’t comparable to the game played last night. Shouldn’t be compared.

My opinion, nothing more. Fine moving on as you say

…I think, Bardo was babbling something about enjoying Christie while we still had him because of NIL next year. WTF!
I believe he was talking about him going pro early, like his brother, rather than going somewhere else due to NIL.

I hope the gang comes back next season. There's unfinished business. All those close games against good teams. Good team vs good team. The Gophers were legit good in many games this year.

Right at that cusp. Now flip them over to wins. You are at the cusp. Go over it.

I don't know enough to know what the NBA wants or how to evaluate a draft pick. I'll say Christie to me is still an unknown.

Christie just had a great game. The game before, he didn't (although that total matchup and road vibe was just bad all around). Ohio State he didn't. Around that time, teams started keying on him more. How does he respond to being a freshman in the tough Big Ten? That can quickly throw a wet blanket (pun intended) on a guy's stats. What we see down the stretch should provide some clarity with Christie.

I think someone wrote that Christie will likely see if there's NBA interest after this season. What's the answer to that? I don't know.

I hope they come back next year.

There was a tie ball. Illinois had the possession arrow. The are set to inbound under their basket.

Illinois attempted to inbound the ball and Fox kicked it. That's a violation. That violation now gives Illinois the ball for that reason and the possession arrow doesn't change directions as Illinois now has inbounding rights due to the kicking violation.

It is a dumb, stupid rule, but that's the rule. So, that's why Illinois kept the arrow. To me, the only reason they were inbounding to begin with is because of the arrow, so to me that's where the arrow should change. But, by rule, it doesn't change until Illinois gets actual possession of the ball after an inbound. But, they never fully took possession until after the kick. Strange rule, but that's the rule.
Thanks for explaining that.

Agree, really dumb rule. Up there with offense fumbling the ball out of the endzone right before they're about to score a TD. Incredibly stupid

Last edited:

With this Illinois game you can actually put together a highlights (plural) video of Pharrel Payne's DUNKs!

Scoring and more scoring from the Gophers. DUNK!

1709300626400.png

Last edited:

Thanks for the explanation. You learn something new everyday.

I believe he was talking about him going pro early, like his brother, rather than going somewhere else due to NIL.
Not sure why people get upset about what a TV commentator says or does not say. Has no affect on the game I'm watching, no affect on my perception of the game I'm watching and no affect on the team or the players he may be talking about in the moment.

I hope the gang comes back next season. There's unfinished business. All those close games against good teams. Good team vs good team. The Gophers were legit good in many games this year.

Right at that cusp. Now flip them over to wins. You are at the cusp. Go over it.

I don't know enough to know what the NBA wants or how to evaluate a draft pick. I'll say Christie to me is still an unknown.

Christie just had a great game. The game before, he didn't (although that total matchup and road vibe was just bad all around). Ohio State he didn't. Around that time, teams started keying on him more. How does he respond to being a freshman in the tough Big Ten? That can quickly throw a wet blanket (pun intended) on a guy's stats. What we see down the stretch should provide some clarity with Christie.

I think someone wrote that Christie will likely see if there's NBA interest after this season. What's the answer to that? I don't know.

I hope they come back next year.
It would make total sense for guys like Garcia and Christie to check on their NBA prospects after the season. I feel like both would really benefit from another year in college but who knows what the scouts will say.

Hopefully they are both back in Maroon and Gold next season. Keep the core of this group together, add some pieces and we could have a really good team in 24-25.

In all my years of playing, watching, and coaching basketball...I honestly didn't know that rule!!

Bardo is a terrible analyst. He offers nothing other than tired cliches and easy 2nd guessing of shot selection or other obvious items.

Hummel on the other hand...he's a huge Boiler homer, but actually knows what he's talking about and has valuable insight.

Top Bottom