***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT ILLINOIS IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Illinois is the first team we have played who really made us pay for having such an undersized perimeter. They just let Domask back Mitchell down over and over.
That’s why they brought in Carrington to guard him, with similar results. They also tried Cam. Then they put DawG on him, and he seemingly scored at will. Just one of those horseshoe up your ass nights for dumbass.

Hopeful for the remaining games after this. 97 is the most scored against Illinois this season, and it was at Illinois. Illinois basically had to play 7 all game: 5 seniors a junior and a sophomore.

That’s the most combined points scored in a B10 game in 50 years, per the post game show.

It was an anomaly and we basically just watched a once in a lifetime event.

Both teams shot 60% from the floor - can’t ever recall seeing that either.
And the crazy part about it is that it honestly didn't feel like bad defense, both teams just couldn't miss. 2 college teams scoring near 100 points in a game that doesn't go into overtime just doesn't happen.

Usually at least one team goes into a shooting slump at some point in the game but that just didn't happen last night.

Gotta play "D"

Scored enough to win. Played great offensively, we are soft as marshmallows defensively!!
BS, defense has been one of the strengths of this team but Illinois is a horrible matchup for us personnel wise.

Both teams shot the lights out last night, didn't matter if they were well guarded or not the shots were just falling.

And the crazy part about it is that it honestly didn't feel like bad defense, both teams just couldn't miss. 2 college teams scoring near 100 points in a game that doesn't go into overtime just doesn't happen.

Usually at least one team goes into a shooting slump at some point in the game but that just didn't happen last night.
I mean some of the shots Hawkins and Shannon made were insane, both are amazing athletes who will play NBA basketball.

Garcia went toe to toe with them and those 6-8 foot shots around the bucket, line drive with no arc, defied physics and kept going in.

It’s a lot to process and I’m glad I got to watch it.

BS, defense has been one of the strengths of this team but Illinois is a horrible matchup for us personnel wise.

Both teams shot the lights out last night, didn't matter if they were well guarded or not the shots were just falling.
Exactly.

We were ranked 5th in the conference defensively prior to The Nebby game in points allowed.

It was a Hailey’s Comet basketball game.

Last edited:

Gotta play "D"

Scored enough to win. Played great offensively, we are soft as marshmallows defensively!!
no....no we are not.....not even close. worst take 2023-24 season.

IL shot lights out as did we. We had some laps but alot of there shots were contested.

Few thoughts:

Listen we weren't great defensively by any means, but if ILL plays like that, I'm picking them to win the tournament. They are a very good offensive team but over 60% from the field in college is still fluky. Combine that with a pretty favorable whistle that they had!

We needed something from the bench last night. They had a few guys give them a nice boost of the bench and kept them fresher during the game. That felt noticeable on the defensive end. And listen I don't blame CBJ, our 5 was on fire, but we are still lacking quality depth you need in the conference.

I would say the positive from this was that in CBJ first 2 years we lose this game by 40. By no means do I believe in moral victories but it is refreshing to at least have the firepower to hang in a game like this.

Expected a college basketball game ended up watching a NBA game, all offense no defense.

If you told me we score 97 points against ILL. I would say we win!! We gave up 105!! Just saying!!

Illinois is a bad matchup, but we haven't been good defensively this season. We're 100th in KenPom and 110th in Bart Torvik in defensive efficiency. And even worse on the road. Tough to outscore teams away from home.

Illinois is a bad matchup, but we haven't been good defensively this season. We're 100th in KenPom and 110th in Bart Torvik in defensive efficiency. And even worse on the road. Tough to outscore teams away from home.

Right, the Gophers have had some good defensive performances this year, Wisconsin, Michigan St, NW, all at home, to name a few.

But they have been pretty terrible on defense as of late. Since that Michigan St win, the Gophers have given up:

Average: 84 PPG

Not good.

Last edited:

Hopeful for the remaining games after this. 97 is the most scored against Illinois this season, and it was at Illinois. Illinois basically had to play 7 all game: 5 seniors a junior and a sophomore.

Their seniors aren't just seniors. Four of those five seniors are 5th year seniors. The only one who isn't is Coleman Hawkins (4th year senior) but he's likely gone next year too.

Right, the Gophers have had some good defensive performances this year, Wisconsin, Michigan St, NW, all at home, to name a few.

But they have been pretty terrible on defense as of late. Since that Michigan St win, the Gophers have given up:

Average: 84 PPG

Not good.
Where’s the Guru? 🤔

Very surprised BJ didn’t throw some zone. Illini just too big, strong and experienced for us to defend. That was my concern going in
I thought he did go to a match-up zone for a moment in the second half. Illinois immediately knocked down a wide open corner 3. I think it was Shannon on the near side.

Am I the only one irked we gave up 105?
How do you prevent a guy from shooting the ball into the basket, without fouling?

Honest question. Not a basketball guy.

There is plenty of NIL nationally for anyone whom leads a team like the Gophers to a deep NCAA run. This NIL is not just school thing....its a national thing. CC isn't just getting NIL from Iowa...she is making more than most men do from national brands.
You think if we have a deep NCCAT run this year, that Christie will get a State Farm commercial?

Come on …

Top Bottom