***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT ILLINOIS IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Gotta play "D"

Scored enough to win. Played great offensively, we are soft as marshmallows defensively!!

Well, that's one way of looking at it. I don't know about you but, to my eyes, Illinois was clearly the superior team in terms of depth, athleticism, maturity, and physical strength yet they gave up 97 points to us, a season high for an opponent against them.

Didn't expect it to be that type of a game, but pretty much had accepted that this was going to be a loss. Have to win the next 3 and then do something in the BIG tournament. So I am saying there's a chance. I was most pissed last night when, I think, Bardo was babbling something about enjoying Christie while we still had him because of NIL next year. WTF!

How do you prevent a guy from shooting the ball into the basket, without fouling?

Honest question. Not a basketball guy.
Typically, you deny the hot guy the ball. Impossible to deny multiple players the ball however, they were all shooting well.

If you score 100 every game, you will win a lot of games! If you allow 0 pts a game, you will never lose! - sign in my high school locker room.

Didn't expect it to be that type of a game, but pretty much had accepted that this was going to be a loss. Have to win the next 3 and then do something in the BIG tournament. So I am saying there's a chance. I was most pissed last night when, I think, Bardo was babbling something about enjoying Christie while we still had him because of NIL next year. WTF!
I felt going into the week that Illinois was more winnable than Nebraska. Add in how good Nebraska is at home, how well they've been playing, and that they owed us one from early in the year, and my gut was saying blowout. No way I was touching that gambling line.

Illinois felt like a bounce back game and an opportunity for a team not to take us as serious. The 4 point play late secured the gambling line for the Gophers and that might be why the Illinois coach as so pissed at his player. :ROFLMAO:

(I don't gamble)

......and only had 5 turnovers.

I wonder how often that's happened?
The only way it happens is when you get dominated on the boards and the other team gets a lot of offensive rebounds and extra shots. If both teams shoot 60% the guys with more shots win.

Illinois is a much more physical team than the Gophers up and down the lineup. In terms of talent, they have more than Purdue.

Typically, you deny the hot guy the ball. Impossible to deny multiple players the ball however, they were all shooting well.

If you score 100 every game, you will win a lot of games! If you allow 0 pts a game, you will never lose! - sign in my high school locker room.
Thanks, makes sense.

Even Chubs Dainja was rolling in hook shots.

Defense could have been better but free throws were the difference.
We were 11/16! Make 1 more and we are 75% which is good for a team. We scored 97, gave up 105. The defense is the problem. We were out rebounded by 8. Gotta find a way to get stops. Our guards are small and get out rebounded almost every game. Mitchell is like swiss cheese playing defense. He is a FLOATER!

Albeit, we are much improved from last year our margin is very small//tight. We don't have a lot of room for error. Garcia put points up but he has to grab 6-7 boards a game.

But it is a better product. Ben has it going in the right direction now!

He didn’t specifically mention NIL; I think you conflated the fear mongers on here and his comment. I took it as, Cam will likely not be a 4 year player because he’ll be a pro before his senior (junior) season. It ain’t this year, as he needs more strength and a better handle.

Bardo is a bit of a Homer, but who isn’t (?) to some extent, but he’s not remotely close to Hummel’s neighborhood.

Personally, I find him to be an excellent analyst who is very complimentary to players, as he was to Garcia, Hawkins, Payne last night in addition to Cam.

Last edited:

The only way it happens is when you get dominated on the boards and the other team gets a lot of offensive rebounds and extra shots. If both teams shoot 60% the guys with more shots win.

Illinois is a much more physical team than the Gophers up and down the lineup. In terms of talent, they have more than Purdue.
Hawkins and Shannon are elite athletes who are good/great collegiate hoopers. Both will play in the NBA and Shannon projects as a lottery pick, per NBA Draft.net

Be curious to know how many of those games had both teams scoring over 1.4. Like, five games total?

OK, then it’s fair to compare to those five. Not to the 311. Guessing the bulk of those were blowouts.

We were 11/16! Make 1 more and we are 75% which is good for a team.

I don't think he's talking about percentage. He's talking about attempts and makes.

Illinois won by eight points. They made eight more free throws than Minnesota (in nine more attempts)

Be curious to know how many of those games had both teams scoring over 1.4. Like, five games total?

OK, then it’s fair to compare to those five. Not to the 311. Guessing the bulk of those were blowouts.
I think that's the point of referencing the number. On most nights, the Gophers (and every other team) win in a blowout at 1.48 ppp.

You're saying you have the over?
Wisconsin does not play good defense at all this year. Wisconsin's pace of play will lead to fewer possessions and it's a road game, so no, Illinois will not score 100. However, they will not struggle to score because of some great defense from WI. They may struggle because they are a college team and they do that sometimes, but not because of a great defense they will face.

I can't see Hawkins making the NBA. But he is very good for what he does for us, so that's all that matters.
A cooler vs. prophetic 😉 reference.

Hawkins is now 62nd on their Big Board and has shot up 40 places with his recent flurry of scoring, will be interesting to see where he ends up.

Last edited:

We were 11/16! Make 1 more and we are 75% which is good for a team. We scored 97, gave up 105. The defense is the problem. We were out rebounded by 8. Gotta find a way to get stops. Our guards are small and get out rebounded almost every game. Mitchell is like swiss cheese playing defense. He is a FLOATER!

Albeit, we are much improved from last year our margin is very small//tight. We don't have a lot of room for error. Garcia put points up but he has to grab 6-7 boards a game.

But it is a better product. Ben has it going in the right direction now!
I said defense wasn't great, but they hit everything. Rebounding was also disappointing, but not surprising given the size advantage they had.

Illinois shot nine more and made eight more free throws than us. Credit to them for getting the calls I guess.

Last edited:

Have not watched the game yet because we were at the Caitlin Clark show at The Barn. Spot the home team 3 or 4, and recognize that the Illini are bigger, stronger, and more experienced at virtually every position (exception Garcia re experience), our guys played an amazing game — especially coming off a humiliating loss at Nebraska. It was essentially anybody’s game until the final few minutes.

I think they will win against PSU and Indiana. N’W???

Gotta play "D"

Scored enough to win. Played great offensively, we are soft as marshmallows defensively!!
This is far from true. Gophers worked hard on defense, as they always do. Some nights it doesn't matter how hard you work, the other team can score. That was true last night -- for both teams. Illinois also played decent defense, we hit shots anyway.

It is a bit lazy to just look at the score and decide whether anybody played defense. Defensive effort and points allowed do not always match up. Sometimes they do; others they don't.

For example, if someone just looked at the boxscore of last night's matchup between Maryland and Northwestern, one might assume lengendary defenses were on display from both teams. After all, combined they shot 4-35 from three. Nobody, and especially both teams, could miss that many threes unless the shooters were being smothered by defense and required to force up desperation shots, right?

Well, no, wrong. Both teams were getting the normal open looks you see in the majority of games. They were just cold. Maryland did not hoist up 23 attempts behind the line (and make two) because their shooters were blanketed, they did it because they had good shots. Same with NW hitting only two of 12.

There is little answer to cold shooting. Sometimes it happens. Likewise there is no mystical reason for hot shooting. It sometimes happens.

Minnesota played as strong a defense as they could muster last night. Not good enough with Illinois shooting 60% (same as us) and getting to the line more than we did. The fact is Illinois has more athletic talent on their roster than does Purdue.

If there is anybody here who said with confidence last September that the Gophers could play with Illinois in Champaigne or Purdue in West Lafayette, let him speak up.

This is far from true. Gophers worked hard on defense, as they always do. Some nights it doesn't matter how hard you work, the other team can score. That was true last night -- for both teams. Illinois also played decent defense, we hit shots anyway.

It is a bit lazy to just look at the score and decide whether anybody played defense. Defensive effort and points allowed do not always match up. Sometimes they do; others they don't.

For example, if someone just looked at the boxscore of last night's matchup between Maryland and Northwestern, one might assume lengendary defenses were on display from both teams. After all, combined they shot 4-35 from three. Nobody, and especially both teams, could miss that many threes unless the shooters were being smothered by defense and required to force up desperation shots, right?

Well, no, wrong. Both teams were getting the normal open looks you see in the majority of games. They were just cold. Maryland did not hoist up 23 attempts behind the line (and make two) because their shooters were blanketed, they did it because they had good shots. Same with NW hitting only two of 12.

There is little answer to cold shooting. Sometimes it happens. Likewise there is no mystical reason for hot shooting. It sometimes happens.

Minnesota played as strong a defense as they could muster last night. Not good enough with Illinois shooting 60% (same as us) and getting to the line more than we did. The fact is Illinois has more athletic talent on their roster than does Purdue.

If there is anybody here who said with confidence last September that the Gophers could play with Illinois in Champaigne or Purdue in West Lafayette, let him speak up.

Defense was weak and a D+ last night. Offense was an A.

Top Bottom