***OFFICIAL MARYLAND AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Just finally finished. Ugly wins are always better than pretty losses. The depth continues to be the strength. Not relying on one guy. Different guys stepping up. I get the feeling this team will continue to get better.

I’m not sure what was worse, the missed goaltending or the explanation.

Also, why can’t they fix that rim? Embarrassing.
I was shocked that this was not called. We didn’t hear the explanation from up in the stands so I would like to hear more about that. But everyone in the barn was going nuts at that non-call. Glad we held on for a nice win.

Just finally finished. Ugly wins are always better than pretty losses. The depth continues to be the strength. Not relying on one guy. Different guys stepping up. I get the feeling this team will continue to get better.

I’m not sure what was worse, the missed goaltending or the explanation.

Also, why can’t they fix that rim? Embarrassing.
I can’t believe that rim continues to be an issue. So strange it hasn’t been completely swapped out.

The continuation after the missed call also allowed for Kaiser Jr. to foul out, and that may have helped in a game this close.

You all can thank me if the Gophers ended up winning. Don't have Peacock so haven't seen them much. The only games I've watched more than a few minutes were Missouri and Ohio State. I tuned in today to see Maryland immediately go on a 9+ point run. I'll bow out now to eliminate my bad juju :(
I think you're now banned from watching the Gophers. You can watch the game at Purdue if you want, it won't matter.

with Mitchell in the doghouse for large portions of the game, the offense really bogs down without Hawkins on the floor. maybe as Christie gains more experience, they'll trust him a little more - but for right now, they need Hawkins on the floor to keep any flow in the offense.

the Mitchell thing is concerning. hopefully he and Johnson work things out and Mitchell returns to form on Friday.
Mitchell took a shot in the first half that was definitely an, "I'm going to get my points" shot. He was frustrated that he wasn't getting any looks so he forced a three point shot and soon after he was gone for the rest of the half.

I'm basing that on some tweets I saw during the game - apparently he got yanked in the 1st half after throwing up a contested "3" very early in the shot clock. (missed shot came at the 11:44 mark and he was subbed out at 11:15) He did come back in later in the 1st half but did not attempt a shot.

and then he picked up a foul early in the 2nd half (at the 19:12 mark) and was immediately subbed out. this time he sat for 7 minutes before returning.

the tweets by Ryan James suggested that both situations were disciplinary - as in Johnson didn't like what he saw and was trying to make a point to Mitchell.
Good clarification. This is a luxury Ben has this year as compared to last year when Battle was forcing shots and getting into his own head and Ben had no way to sub him out.

somehow someway Payne has to figure this out. I am sure they work on it all the time and he probably hits them at a decent clip in practice but in the game he is a mess. He can be a major difference maker but if he has to be on the bench late it close games it really limits his value and will hurt his pro prospects as well when the time comes.
He does not concentrate on his FTs not does he take enough time. His form is not bad.

So much positive in this game.
One thing, I am really happy Carrington is back. His defense and rebounding are vital. It allowed us to play small in the last 3 minutes. If I am giving out atta boyz, I give one to Carrington.
Agreed and a second one goes to Fox for his play today. The two drawn fouls on Reese in the first half were huge.

I was shocked that this was not called. We didn’t hear the explanation from up in the stands so I would like to hear more about that. But everyone in the barn was going nuts at that non-call. Glad we held on for a nice win.
One of the announcers stated a couple minutes after the call that the rule states (sic) “If the rim returns to location and the ball is (still) outside the cylinder there is no interference”. The thing is, the ball was never outside the cylinder then or it wouldn’t have hit the rim, unless it changed direction in midair. Bad call.

Kelly is an arrogant nitwit. This generation Ted Valentine, always wanting to be the show.

Kelly isn't even close to being similar to Ted. He wasn't reffing the game yesterday either. He's made a few bad calls before, they all do, but he's a good guy on and off the court.

Bench points were big yesterday. Minnesota 20 and Maryland with 7
For the life of me, just don't know how Ola-Joseph can play 19 minutes and not record a rebound. Seems like so much untapped talent. Maybe it's that tweener size? Had one game last season with 8, this year his highest has been 5 so far.
Has really improved his shooting this year, maybe the rebounding will appear.

Kelly isn't even close to being similar to Ted. He wasn't reffing the game yesterday either. He's made a few bad calls before, they all do, but he's a good guy on and off the court.
The post said the ref was the one who hosed the Gophers at Nebraska and that was Kelly. If he wasn't there yesterday, so be it. I wasn't there and didn't watch.

We'll agree to disagree about his on-court demeanor and behavior. He has a super quick whistle on T's, is frequently in the middle of game-changing bad calls, and seems to delight being in those situations. He is one of the refs that we can assume something bad will happen if he is in the arena.

I'm not alone in my assessment. I know people who follow other B1G schools closely who say the same thing, and are not whiners by nature.

One of the announcers stated a couple minutes after the call that the rule states (sic) “If the rim returns to location and the ball is (still) outside the cylinder there is no interference”. The thing is, the ball was never outside the cylinder then or it wouldn’t have hit the rim, unless it changed direction in midair. Bad call.

The explanation they gave us made absolutely no sense. The fact is that the ball was coming down and hit the rim as it was SHOOTING back up from where it had been pulled to.....causing the ball to ricochet. Based on the trajectory....there's good reason to believe that the shot would have been good if not for the interference.

Fortunately, it didn't cause a bad loss.....because that was a brutal missed call.

Bench points were big yesterday. Minnesota 20 and Maryland with 7
For the life of me, just don't know how Ola-Joseph can play 19 minutes and not record a rebound. Seems like so much untapped talent. Maybe it's that tweener size? Had one game last season with 8, this year his highest has been 5 so far.
Has really improved his shooting this year, maybe the rebounding will appear.
I think it definitely has to do with the tweener size, but I also think it is his own perception of where he fits. It was a comment in passing at a post game presser earlier this year that he called himself a "guard." It struck me but didn't really get noticed. He has improved his perimeter game, but he isn't a guard, and shouldn't be fancying himself as one.

The post said the ref was the one who hosed the Gophers at Nebraska and that was Kelly. If he wasn't there yesterday, so be it. I wasn't there and didn't watch.

We'll agree to disagree about his on-court demeanor and behavior. He has a super quick whistle on T's, is frequently in the middle of game-changing bad calls, and seems to delight being in those situations. He is one of the refs that we can assume something bad will happen if he is in the arena.

I'm not alone in my assessment. I know people who follow other B1G schools closely who say the same thing, and are not whiners by nature.

The Nebraska call was bad, but that was what 5 years ago? The only other high profile situation he's known for was the Fran stare down, where Fran was being the giant douche he always has been. He should have given Fran another T, and didn't. Iowa ended up winning that game because of it.

I'm not sure where all these other bad calls and saying he has a bad on-court demenor is coming from? He blends in most of the time, unlike Ted who you always knew immediately when he was officiating your game.

It's almost like you're mixing him up with someone else. He's a good ref who quickly worked his way up for a reason.

Top Bottom