***OFFICIAL MARYLAND AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Parker canned a couple, so evened things out a little in that regard. Think Payne will get better on them.
I would bet a lot of it is mental right now. Maryland 100% fouled him on purpose but didn't think they would get nailed for the intentional foul.

I would bet a lot of it is mental right now. Maryland 100% fouled him on purpose but didn't think they would get nailed for the intentional foul.
He shot them better last year, so you are probably correct.

2nd game in a row where lots of things went badly but got a W. Good sign.
Frustrating that the team has a tenancy to dig some holes in games but when they kick it into gear they really go off.

13 points out of Mitchell and Garcia and yet the other guys found a way to get it done.

I would agree. The two F1 shots were mental, not even close misses. Sure it would be great if he hit 80% but at this point 66% would be fine so teams don't just start hacking him.

2nd game in a row where lots of things went badly but got a W. Good sign.
No way Gophers get the W without Hawk even though this was not his best game. Carrington was star #2 with a solid game followed by Christie. Fox also provided huge energy and toughness when needed. Gutty performance and W even though our two leading scorers only had 13.

I would agree. The two F1 shots were mental, not even close misses. Sure it would be great if he hit 80% but at this point 66% would be fine so teams don't just start hacking him.
Heck, at this point I would be good with 50%. 38% is just dreadful, I hope he figures it out.

Heck, at this point I would be good with 50%. 38% is just dreadful, I hope he figures it out.
It's so weird to me because he doesn't have a bad looking shot from the line... just 0 touch at all and seems to always hit the back of the rim or backboard.

Good win boys! Didn't think it was happening after watching that first 15 minutes.

Poorly officiated game. Most notable was the late obvious basket interference missed. How do 3 guys miss that? And then the ridiculous explanation given to the announcers. Who's that short official who always seems to hose the Gophers? He was the guy who called a horrendous last second call vs. NE on Coffey- damn near cost us a NCAA berth.
Kelly Pfeifer
(not always a good sign when you know the refs name- you generally recognize the bad calls not the good ones)
Kelly was the ref that Fran McCaffery had the starting contest with a couple of years ago also.

Hawkins played all but 52 seconds.

with Mitchell in the doghouse for large portions of the game, the offense really bogs down without Hawkins on the floor. maybe as Christie gains more experience, they'll trust him a little more - but for right now, they need Hawkins on the floor to keep any flow in the offense.

the Mitchell thing is concerning. hopefully he and Johnson work things out and Mitchell returns to form on Friday.

with Mitchell in the doghouse for large portions of the game, the offense really bogs down without Hawkins on the floor. maybe as Christie gains more experience, they'll trust him a little more - but for right now, they need Hawkins on the floor to keep any flow in the offense.

the Mitchell thing is concerning. hopefully he and Johnson work things out and Mitchell returns to form on Friday.
Why was he in the doghouse?

I didn't think so. Took the quick three, got yanked, thought he played well upon re-entering.

Why was he in the doghouse?

I'm basing that on some tweets I saw during the game - apparently he got yanked in the 1st half after throwing up a contested "3" very early in the shot clock. (missed shot came at the 11:44 mark and he was subbed out at 11:15) He did come back in later in the 1st half but did not attempt a shot.

and then he picked up a foul early in the 2nd half (at the 19:12 mark) and was immediately subbed out. this time he sat for 7 minutes before returning.

the tweets by Ryan James suggested that both situations were disciplinary - as in Johnson didn't like what he saw and was trying to make a point to Mitchell.

Just finally finished. Ugly wins are always better than pretty losses. The depth continues to be the strength. Not relying on one guy. Different guys stepping up. I get the feeling this team will continue to get better.

I’m not sure what was worse, the missed goaltending or the explanation.

Also, why can’t they fix that rim? Embarrassing.

Kelly Pfeifer
(not always a good sign when you know the refs name- you generally recognize the bad calls not the good ones)
Kelly was the ref that Fran McCaffery had the starting contest with a couple of years ago also.
Kelly is an arrogant nitwit. This generation Ted Valentine, always wanting to be the show.

I'm basing that on some tweets I saw during the game - apparently he got yanked in the 1st half after throwing up a contested "3" very early in the shot clock. (missed shot came at the 11:44 mark and he was subbed out at 11:15) He did come back in later in the 1st half but did not attempt a shot.

and then he picked up a foul early in the 2nd half (at the 19:12 mark) and was immediately subbed out. this time he sat for 7 minutes before returning.

the tweets by Ryan James suggested that both situations were disciplinary - as in Johnson didn't like what he saw and was trying to make a point to Mitchell.
Interesting. To be honest, I felt CBJ’s sub patterns were odd all night. Hard to criticize w the result but I do think this lack of a clear rotation will hurt in long run.

A little of that maybe, but Carrington was playing so well, especially defensively, he couldn’t sit him down.

Top Bottom