***OFFICIAL MACALASTER AT MINNESOTA EXHIBITION IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

I'm curious for those that attended tonight, who was the biggest overachiever relative to expectations and who was the most underwhelming?

on KK vs KB

I think Betts is still just 18 and his last game action was more than a year ago
I think KK is 19 and played competitive ball last year

wouldn't be surprised if KK is a little further along than KB at this point

I'm curious for those that attended tonight, who was the biggest overachiever relative to expectations and who was the most underwhelming?

Well, that's a tough one. I missed parts of the game (mainly because I had to restart Big Ten + on the computer) but I guess I would say the following:

Ola Joseph bullied smaller and less athletic players with his size and athleticism.

Garcia kind of did the same but less so.

Hawkins was very quick.

Mitchell looked like he would be a solid, if unspectacular, player. For a comparable, think of Peyton Willis in his first stint here.

Wilson looked like he would be very suitable for minor backup minutes per game.

Fox and Ihnen definitely looked like they will contribute. Fox was a little more offensively assertive than Ihnen. Ihnen looked a bit sluggish early in the game but was better when he came in during the second half. Had at least a couple of blocks then.

Carrington was all right but he didn't seem to play as much in the second half.

Betts and Kleinys could battle for playing time. Betts looked more athletic but I'm not sure who is a better player.

Payne and Christie didn't play.

Well, that's a tough one. I missed parts of the game (mainly because I had to restart Big Ten + on the computer) but I guess I would say the following:

Ola Joseph bullied smaller and less athletic players with his size and athleticism.

Garcia kind of did the same but less so.

Hawkins was very quick.

Mitchell looked like he would be a solid, if unspectacular, player. For a comparable, think of Peyton Willis in his first stint here.

Wilson looked like he would be very suitable for minor backup minutes per game.

Fox and Ihnen definitely looked like they will contribute. Fox was a little more offensively assertive than Ihnen. Ihnen looked a bit sluggish early in the game but was better when he came in during the second half. Had at least a couple of blocks then.

Carrington was all right but he didn't seem to play as much in the second half.

Betts and Kleinys could battle for playing time. Betts looked more athletic but I'm not sure who is a better player.

Payne and Christie didn't play.

Thanks for the response. Good to hear. 👍

I'm glad Fox is able to play and that Wilson can make FT's. Beyond that, I'm not sure much can be learned from playing a DIII school. But letting anyone drop 41 on you, least of all a DIII player is not a good look.
For the first 10 minutes we played lousy defense, almost as though we didn't respect a DIII team. But from then on we had a hand in the kid's face and he kept on making them. He's good. Tonight he gave a pretty good Steph Curry at Davidson imitation.

For the first 10 minutes we played lousy defense, almost as though we didn't respect a DIII team. But from then on we had a hand in the kid's face and he kept on making them. He's good. Tonight he gave a pretty good Steph Curry at Davidson imitation.
The shots he was making were borderline absurd. People around me were just laughing. Props to him; he put on a show! So many of the shots, you literally could not play better defense without fouling. I've never seen anything like it.

The shots he was making were borderline absurd. People around me were just laughing. Props to him; he put on a show! So many of the shots, you literally could not play better defense without fouling. I've never seen anything like it.
Yep. Ihnen was the only player we had that could stop him from getting a shot off. They tried about 5 different guys on him to no avail.

Mitchell and Hawkins had a combined 17 assists tonight. Great to see.

I was at the game. #32 made some insane shots and definitely had the game of his life. The crowd was literally laughing at some of the shots he was throwing up that were going in, and most Gopher fans gave him an ovation when he finally got pulled with 2 minutes left.

Ben Johnson on the absent players. Christie has mono. - from the Strib:

Gophers coach Ben Johnson expects both players to play a big role this season, so their absence likely made a difference before pulling away in a 97-73 win against the Scots at Williams Arena.

Christie had been out sick with mononucleosis for a week last month when he missed the U's closed scrimmage at Colorado State on Oct. 21. Payne has an undisclosed minor injury.

"Cam is going to be back, so we'll slowly work him back into the mix," Johnson said. "Pharrel, I'm hoping he's back on Monday. It's nothing serious. It's a decision I made today [as] more precautionary."

Ben Johnson on the absent players. Christie has mono. - from the Strib:

Gophers coach Ben Johnson expects both players to play a big role this season, so their absence likely made a difference before pulling away in a 97-73 win against the Scots at Williams Arena.

Christie had been out sick with mononucleosis for a week last month when he missed the U's closed scrimmage at Colorado State on Oct. 21. Payne has an undisclosed minor injury.

"Cam is going to be back, so we'll slowly work him back into the mix," Johnson said. "Pharrel, I'm hoping he's back on Monday. It's nothing serious. It's a decision I made today [as] more precautionary."
When I had mono in college, that took me entirely out of commission for a month, and I lost about 25 pounds. It sounds like he's had it for a while, so he should be on the upswing soon.

More like a Garrett Callahan at Southwest State imitation. Monson's Gophers couldn't stop him either.

That’s a good (and tough) question.

It’s only one game, but I’d go with Fox (overachiever, much more active than I thought he’d be after 2 years) and Carrington (underwhelming, didn’t notice him much).

Carrington drew the tough defensive assignment on #32 who was incredible to watch. Had some fouls that put him on the bench in the second half.

I liked the up tempo play from the guards. Never saw any of that last year. Hawkins got everyone moving up the floor in the second half.

No, because his team has no one bigger, stronger, quicker, or more athletic.
You are saying the Gophers (or the hypothetical more athletic seniors) have no one athletically capable of guarding Williams or active skilled 8th grader??
I'm saying BS to both...granted somebody needs to coach defense...you do need a plan so it is 5 guys guarding the ball aka team defense. But it is ridiculous for the Gophers to allow him to score 41 points when 3 of the 5 other guys were uncomfortable if they had the ball. Absolutely 100% preventable with a plan.
It's not like the Gophers didn't know who Macalester was....that is who dominated the ball for them and scored prior to the game.

Top Bottom