***OFFICIAL IOWA AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Do you even listen to yourself? You took exception to me saying they need to win 12 big ten games. Yes I think he will schedule a soft non coference that will require them to win 12 games next year to get in. They clearly do not have the talent on their roster to win 12 this year and wont next year.

I take back what I said earlier about these guards being the difference. The played like absolute fools, idiots, no brain kids that we've seen throughout all of Ben's time here. Chucking, chucking, chucking, zero passes, one pass. Not even close on half of them. Christie has potential I guess.

We also got our butts beat on the boards AGAIN and gave ZERO effort on defense. These are coaching issues and take zero talent, only "want".

Not trying to pile on, but this was it for Ben Johnson. They are going to get killed the next two and the slide will be on. It's been fun Ben, but you are done if you can't control your guard play and effort level against a border rival in your own building when you know you need this game.

THIS^^^^^

one or two games doesn't make them a bad team...it just make them a struggling team..

The next 2 games will be tough ones and I really don't see us winning unless we can dig our way out of this shooting slump.
We would have to have one of those “playing out of our heads” games to win either of the next two, and I don’t see it happening. Would love it, of course, but more realistically, the question will be can they stop what will become a 4 game skid?

I take back what I said earlier about these guards being the difference. The played like absolute fools, idiots, no brain kids that we've seen throughout all of Ben's time here. Chucking, chucking, chucking, zero passes, one pass. Not even close on half of them. Christie has potential I guess.

We also got our butts beat on the boards AGAIN and gave ZERO effort on defense. These are coaching issues and take zero talent, only "want".

Not trying to pile on, but this was it for Ben Johnson. They are going to get killed the next two and the slide will be on. It's been fun Ben, but you are done if you can't control your guard play and effort level against a border rival in your own building when you know you need this game.
They aren't "...absolute fools, idiots, no brain kids..." They are college players who were clearly outplayed last night. The challenge is for the players and their coach to figure out why they got outplayed and fix it.

Sorry, shouldn't have said that, I can take it down if you like. Yes they are still kids and those were some pretty harsh words. I didn't say they "are" that, just that they "played" like that. They are just not basketball smart obviously. And that is what I meant.

What I am getting at is that they lost the game because there was no thinking or direction from the guards or coaches. You don't chuck 30- 3's unless you are on fire. You just don't. Coaches and guards worth their salt should know this.

Sorry, shouldn't have said that, I can take it down if you like. Yes they are still kids and those were some pretty harsh words. I didn't say they "are" that, just that they "played" like that. They are just not basketball smart obviously. And that is what I meant.

What I am getting at is that they lost the game because there was no thinking or direction from the guards or coaches. You don't chuck 30- 3's unless you are on fire. You just don't. Coaches and guards worth their salt should know this.
You didn't even say the thing he's accusing you of saying. You said "they played like absolute fools . . . ". We all knew what you meant, for whatever reason, some folks wanted to take it as a moment to show you that they're good people.

Intelligent college players can (and sometimes do) play like absolute fools.

Mitchell is a FLOATER, only wants to shoot the 3 he needs to go!!
Mitchell is better than Carrington and does far more for this team on both ends of the floor. Truth is, this has gone south the moment Ben thrusted Careington into more meaningful minutes. How has that gone? Look at the +/- and it shows what a disaster it really is. Ben probably feels he has to play carrington to save his job. In actuality, it’s going to cost him it.

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned but anybody know why Carrington and Mitchell were playing down the stretch of the game yesterday over Christie?

Mitchell is borderline unplayable right now.

Last edited:

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned but anybody know why Carrington and Mitchell were playing down the stretch of the game yesterday of Christie?

You shoulda called into the Ben show today at noon.

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned but anybody know why Carrington and Mitchell were playing down the stretch of the game yesterday of Christie?

Carrington does a lot of the little things well but hes such a offensive liability I do not know how you can possibly justify playing him in crunch time as much as he does

Teams do not have to guard him.

I don't understand how JOJ can be so strong for short bursts and then sits for extended periods of time. He played less than Mitchell, Carrington, and Christie tonight and that's not at all unusual.
Joj needs to play defense. He is often times out of position. He had 2 rebounds! Maybe that’s why he doesn’t play more. And I am a huge fan of his.

Carrington does a lot of the little things well but hes such a offensive liability I do not know how you can possibly justify playing him in crunch time as much as he does

What exactly does Carringron do well?

So this has been an issue of mine with CBJ. I actually think our roster is ok, it's not amazing but its not barren either. We have guys who are talented but have known warts we'll call them. I think BC is a good defender and a good rebounder for his size. Hawkins is a great passer but gets a little loose with the ball, Mitchell can shoot but gets a bit frisky with his attempts etc. Those things are fine, we aren't Duke, Uconn, Kansas etc who are getting superstars with no holes in their games. But CBJ seems to have 0 idea how to hide deficiencies and promote efficiencies in anyone's games. Fran (love him or hate him) has always found ways to do that with guys and opposing teams. If we switch coaches yesterday we win that game. I'd say we have more raw ability than Iowa but still seemed like we had no shot to win.

So this has been an issue of mine with CBJ. I actually think our roster is ok, it's not amazing but its not barren either. We have guys who are talented but have known warts we'll call them. I think BC is a good defender and a good rebounder for his size. Hawkins is a great passer but gets a little loose with the ball, Mitchell can shoot but gets a bit frisky with his attempts etc. Those things are fine, we aren't Duke, Uconn, Kansas etc who are getting superstars with no holes in their games. But CBJ seems to have 0 idea how to hide deficiencies and promote efficiencies in anyone's games. Fran (love him or hate him) has always found ways to do that with guys and opposing teams. If we switch coaches yesterday we win that game. I'd say we have more raw ability than Iowa but still seemed like we had no shot to win.
This is spot on. To me, it feels like Big Ten coaches took notice after the recent win streak. They have made adjustments and have actively taken Mitchell out of the game. What people don’t realize is how Mitchell during that run opened things up for so many on the floor. It’s why I think Elijah has struggled to. Ben needs to counter adjust. He hasn’t yet. This team can go 7 deep. They have the talent to compete each night. They can win. If Ben doesn’t make adjustments, this can also spiral completely out of control. It’s his move to make. Can he?

At one point the look on Garcia’s face kind of reminded me of Ralph Sampson III. who often looked as if he did not want to be a basketball player.
FIFY. He didn't. But but that "III" made it his fate. To a point anyway.

I think we were all frustrated after that game.

You didn't even say the thing he's accusing you of saying. You said "they played like absolute fools . . . ". We all knew what you meant, for whatever reason, some folks wanted to take it as a moment to show you that they're good people.

Intelligent college players can (and sometimes do) play like absolute fools.
The Board Barrister is wordsmithing. He wanted to take it as a moment to show you that he went to law school and that it should be parsed like a legal doc.

My observation: Garcia 30+ points don’t mean anything for the team. Coach BJ doesn’t know how to coach. This team played better without Garcia and Carrington because they spread the floor. Everyone that has hatred for Mitchell the last two games should know that he needs more than 6 shots a game and not every shot will go in. However, the coach should have not taken him out after two straight buckets and sat him that long. Yes, he needs to prevent the turnovers but that didn’t cost them the game. The offense right now will not win you games. The defense sucks in all facets of the game. He has no faith in Christie toward the end. Why the hell did Payne only play 14 minutes? Carrington provides you no value on offense. His defense is average. Please look at the +/- for the game. This team has gone backwards since Garcia and Carrington have returned.

Last edited:

+
The Board Barrister is wordsmithing. He wanted to take it as a moment to show you that he went to law school and that it should be parsed like a legal doc.
I know that might seem like wordsmithing to you because you struggle but to normal people it's just common sense.

There is a difference between "you're an idiot" and "you're acting like an idiot". It didn't take going to law school to figure that out.

My observation: Garcia 30+ points don’t mean anything for the team. Coach BJ doesn’t know how to coach. This team played better without Garcia and Carrington because they spread the floor. Everyone that has hatred for Mitchell the last two games should know that he needs more than 6 shots a game and not every shot will go in. However, the coach should have not taken him out after two straight buckets and sat him that long. Yes, he needs to prevent the turnovers but that didn’t cost them the game. The offense right now will not win you games. The defense sucks in all facets of the game. He has no faith in Christie toward the end. Why the hell did Payne only play 14 minutes? Carrington provides you no value on offense. His defense is average. Please look at the +/- for the game. This team has gone backwards since Garcia and Carrington has returned.
I agree with most all of your post except that Payne is injured, something is wrong with his back. I hope is not serious. Garcia is a weird player- very talented but a tough fit.

Mitchell is better than Carrington and does far more for this team on both ends of the floor. Truth is, this has gone south the moment Ben thrusted Careington into more meaningful minutes. How has that gone? Look at the +/- and it shows what a disaster it really is. Ben probably feels he has to play carrington to save his job. In actuality, it’s going to cost him it.
Complete utter nonsense. First off, Johnson is not pressured to play any particular player. Pressured by who? For what reason? Do you also believe in a deep state?

Second, although Mitchell has been off his game recently, he may be a better mid range jump shooter. However, Carrington is unquestionably a better defender, a better rebounder, and better able to dribble drive to the hoop.

To suggest that the teams recent troubles have something to do with Carrington’s return is, let me say it again, nonsense!

My observation: Garcia 30+ points don’t mean anything for the team. Coach BJ doesn’t know how to coach. This team played better without Garcia and Carrington because they spread the floor. Everyone that has hatred for Mitchell the last two games should know that he needs more than 6 shots a game and not every shot will go in. However, the coach should have not taken him out after two straight buckets and sat him that long. Yes, he needs to prevent the turnovers but that didn’t cost them the game. The offense right now will not win you games. The defense sucks in all facets of the game. He has no faith in Christie toward the end. Why the hell did Payne only play 14 minutes? Carrington provides you no value on offense. His defense is average. Please look at the +/- for the game. This team has gone backwards since Garcia and Carrington has returned.
Wow! I’m beyond words. I’ll just say that we are all very, very fortunate that you are not coaching this team. You have an interesting take on talent.

I agree with most all of your post except that Payne is injured, something is wrong with his back. I hope is not serious. Garcia is a weird player- very talented but a tough fit.

I'm not sure I agree with much of his post. I agree with your point on Payne. He sure didn't look his best against Iowa.

Yes, the team played well without Garcia but, with the exception of the Nebraska game, that was against much weaker competition than we are playing now. Garcia, Payne, JOJ, Carrington, and Hawkins (except for last game) have played the best against conference competition. Mitchell and Christie haven't played as well against conference opponents but I trust they can get up to speed.

Maybe Garcia isn't a natural with the others but he is more versatile than most of them, he goes to the line a lot, and he makes them. They're going to have to figure it out and they can't spare anyone.

Top Bottom