***OFFICIAL IOWA AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Stan

Reaction score
The Indiana game felt like last season. I didn’t like the energy, the defense or the outcome. And today we get to get our Hate on!!! Plainly put, this is a potential crossroads game. This is a game we should win, and the sign of a team making progress is bouncing back and beating a rival. A loss and there’s the potential to slide back to previous seasons’ losing streaks and confidence shattering play.

Garcia and Payne need to stay out of foul trouble and we need to remember how to shoot 3s.

GET ‘ER DONE JOHNSON!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like the game is at 5 on BTN. Hoping to finally see PP in the starting lineup.

The Indiana game felt like last season. I didn’t like the energy, the defense or the outcome. And today we get to get our Hate on!!! Plainly put, this is a potential crossroads game. This is a game we should win, and the sign of a team making progress is bouncing back and beating a rival. A loss and there’s the potential to slide back to previous seasons’ losing streaks and confidence shattering play.

Garcia and Payne need to stay out of foul trouble and we need to remember how to shoot 3s.

GET ‘ER DONE JOHNSON!!!!!!!!!!!
Energy changed, we gonna be smooth as B & T was back in the day

Guessing some Hawk fans will have to be deciding to go caucus or watch/listen to the game? Might be cursing the schedulers down in I-O-W-A City...

Guessing some Hawk fans will have to be deciding to go caucus or watch/listen to the game? Might be cursing the schedulers down in I-O-W-A City...

Their own fault. If they switched to a primary like Minnesota did they'd be able to work around that conflict easily enough.

This is a big must WIN game in my opinion. The next 4 will be tough!

PP needs to start!

Mitchell needs to play better. 0-6 is not cutting it! Gotta think of Carrington back in the starting lineup.

Looks like the game is at 5 on BTN. Hoping to finally see PP in the starting lineup.
I think people get a little too hung up on whether or not Payne is out there at the opening tip. He is usually the first off the bench and he is logging 20+ minutes a game. His average minutes total would probably be higher if he hadn't been limited to start the year due to the foot injury.

I think people get a little too hung up on whether or not Payne is out there at the opening tip. He is usually the first off the bench and he is logging 20+ minutes a game. His average minutes total would probably be higher if he hadn't been limited to start the year due to the foot injury.
Maybe. I think it's a good idea to start our best player and set the tone early.

Maybe. I think it's a good idea to start our best player and set the tone early.
I don't disagree but clearly they feel like it is better having him come off the bench and still log starter level minutes.

That may be true but the critics have a good point: the amount of time that he isn't in the game at the beginning frequently results in a sizeable deficit and the team is then forced to claw its way back.

For the most part, Iowa is not a guard driven team. Most of the scoring comes from their forwards. That's particularly true since their excellent freshman, Owen Freeman, was inserted in the starting lineup. This is the type of game where a Garcia, Payne, and JOJ starting lineup should be strongly considered. Also, Mitchell's last two starts were bad and it might be time to bring him off the bench at least for a few games.

Yes, but you had fewer games televised by nationally available networks then. Now, TV exposure rules and that requires staggering the games throughout the week.
More TV games is great, but I think I'd still prefer less TV if I got to listen to Ray Christensen again! Guy was the best

Early lines have the game at MIN -2.5. gotta be first big ten game the gophers have been the betting favorite on in a couple years? 14-2 ATS this season, would love to make that 15

I don't disagree but clearly they feel like it is better having him come off the bench and still log starter level minutes.
I don't doubt they have a reason. I just like the idea of establishing a post presence early and Garcia hasn't been getting it done.

I agree. Iowa mostly leans on their forwards so I think we should start the game with our best frontline. According to the advanced stat, PER, the highest player scores on the team, for conference games only, are (in descending order):

Payne (25.0)

Garcia (24.3)

JOJ (21.2)

Hawkins (17.1)

Carrington (15.1)

Maybe the coach should try that starting lineup. Mitchel (8.9), Christie (7.5), and Fox (8.6) trail by a fair margin. Ihnen's score is negative.

I agree. Iowa mostly leans on their forwards so I think we should start the game with our best frontline. According to the advanced stat, PER, the highest player scores on the team, for conference games only, are (in descending order):

Payne (25.0)

Garcia (24.3)

JOJ (21.2)

Hawkins (17.1)

Carrington (15.1)

Maybe the coach should try that starting lineup. Mitchel (8.9), Christie (7.5), and Fox (8.6) trail by a fair margin. Ihnen's score is negative.
I like this line of thinking for this game. In prior games I don't think we were down early because of the opponent's interior play. Today would be a good day to start our better bigs. We'll see what Ben has in mind.

More TV games is great, but I think I'd still prefer less TV if I got to listen to Ray Christensen again! Guy was the best
Listening to Ray was as good as it got. My Dad got me started listening to Ray describe the games as a young boy. As you can see my icon is Ray as a young man calling a game for "CCO.

Top Bottom