***OFFICIAL IOWA AT MINNESOTA FLOYD OF ROSEDALE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

lines were domintated by iowa ..plain and simple
minn will score 30 plus the rest of the games

big ten is impossible to handicap / predict this year
no doubt
neb beats PSU tomorrow by the way

I think we can all write this season off - this is the COVID year so nothing really counts and it just still feels surreal watching the games. Normally, I would be sad/angry over a start like this but with Covid I am more accepting. I know it is not 100% true, but I am going to blame aggressive UM policies on COVID that limited team activities, etc along with the earlier Big 10 announcement that the season was cancelled for the lack of preparation of the Gophers vs. other teams. I have watch several OSU games and it looks like they never stopped practicing. Typically, early in a season, you will see poor offensive play due to be being out of synch while the D looks good. In looking at OSU, their O is incredible - like they didn't miss a day of practice because they probably didn't. What is shocking to me is how poorly the D has played. Either we don't have good athletes there or we have a preparation/scheme issue. Maybe Winfield was that big of factor.

lines were domintated by iowa ..plain and simple
minn will score 30 plus the rest of the games
Every damn year lines are dominated by Iowa. Is it their epic strength and conditioning that does this, continuity in coaching? Why do our coaches constantly leave? 6 years in a row to Iowa, 16 of last 20. It's ugly, not quite Wisky ugly but it's getting there.

I think we can all write this season off - this is the COVID year so nothing really counts and it just still feels surreal watching the games. Normally, I would be sad/angry over a start like this but with Covid I am more accepting. I know it is not 100% true, but I am going to blame aggressive UM policies on COVID that limited team activities, etc along with the earlier Big 10 announcement that the season was cancelled for the lack of preparation of the Gophers vs. other teams. I have watch several OSU games and it looks like they never stopped practicing. Typically, early in a season, you will see poor offensive play due to be being out of synch while the D looks good. In looking at OSU, their O is incredible - like they didn't miss a day of practice because they probably didn't. What is shocking to me is how poorly the D has played. Either we don't have good athletes there or we have a preparation/scheme issue. Maybe Winfield was that big of factor.

This is the part we don't know.
Hard to say how much we were handicapped.
Iowa, WI, Nebraska...
They didn't have COVID lockdowns like we did so maybe it rolled into the Universities as well.

One could definitely argue it looks like our guys have had less contact tackling than any other teams we've played this year.

This is the part we don't know.
Hard to say how much we were handicapped.
Iowa, WI, Nebraska...
They didn't have COVID lockdowns like we did so maybe it rolled into the Universities as well.

One could definitely argue it looks like our guys have had less contact tackling than any other teams we've played this year.

Like I said, I will chalk it up to that for this season. I also think there is a different mindset for the NFL factory like schools vs. guys that know 99% likelihood that college is the end of the line. For the NFL caliber guys, I think they put it on themselves to condition, etc regardless. Meanwhile, the guy that top out at college likely took their foot off the gas when the Big Ten announced the season was cancelled. I suspect a lot of extra donuts were consumed and weights weren't hit quite the same - and I can't fault them for that as it is human nature. I think that has a lot to do with OSU - their roster has a different mindset as I think 50% of their players probably believe they could make the NFL so the motivation is just different in a season like this.

Fleck overall win %: 57%; Big ten win %: 42%
Pitino overall: 54%; Big Ten: 37%

Pitino only slightly worse. Strikingly similar. By the end of this season they may be identical.
Except Pitino has had twice as long.

Last edited:

Like I said, I will chalk it up to that for this season. I also think there is a different mindset for the NFL factory like schools vs. guys that know 99% likelihood that college is the end of the line. For the NFL caliber guys, I think they put it on themselves to condition, etc regardless. Meanwhile, the guy that top out at college likely took their foot off the gas when the Big Ten announced the season was cancelled. I suspect a lot of extra donuts were consumed and weights weren't hit quite the same - and I can't fault them for that as it is human nature. I think that has a lot to do with OSU - their roster has a different mindset as I think 50% of their players probably believe they could make the NFL so the motivation is just different in a season like this.
So MN was the only team in the BIG affected by the pandemic?
The problem really seems to be that MN is now playing with Fleck's recruits and Fleck's choices for assistant coaches.
And they lost another scoring opportunity like last year because Fleck has to be the star of the show and go on the field against the rules.
Why else the nonsense of his sprinting down the sidelines when the quarters change?
It is all look at me.

I did not like the call on MSM 55, but he did make it easy on the official, as the player being hit was already near the ground, and it looked bad with the helmet leading.

The Iowa player closed on the ball and the helmet was not a factor, in fact it was perfect targeting era hit.
Disagree 100% that the helmet was not a factor. Iowa's player's helmet absolutely struck CAB's helmet during the play. CAB got his bell rung good. Remember when he was laying on the ground after the play?

Why don't you go ask CAB, if you don't believe me?

Regardless, the issue is if it was legal or not. That's what matters to the point. From what I recall, the shoulder pad struck first, then the helmet came second. So in the sense of "targeting", trying to go helmet to helmet with a "linear" body position, it probably did not meet the definition. Still a judgement call.

It was the last season I got to share with my bride. 2019 is a special one forever.
Wow, I am incredibly sorry for your loss.

Being at the Penn St game will be with me for the rest of my life. I can always hope, but right now it seems like we won't have another game that we win with that much electricity and excitement in TCF, for a long, long, lonnnnng time.

Yes, this is the worst game of his career, but what are you going to do? Are you not going to play a QB who was one of the highest in the nation in passing efficiency last year because he's had a poor start?
I'm saying: quite obvious that something is broken with Morgan. Whatever KC did special for him last year ... Sanford obviously threw it out the window, and the new thing is not working.

The only difference with last year is TJ is gone and KC is gone. Can TJ really be that much of a difference?? We have other talented players who can catch, man. CAB, we know. Also saw BSF make an awesome catch, just was out of bounds (throw didn't help him).

Obviously not after one game. What I'm getting at is I just don't think this is going to be an aberration. And Fleck has proven he waits way too long to make changes.

Not if he enters the draft!
He would be undrafted and have to fight to be invited to a fall camp. Way too many more accurate, better physical trait QBs all over the country. Even at the top of FCS level (not talking about Lantz, that's P5 talent).

So MN was the only team in the BIG affected by the pandemic?
The problem really seems to be that MN is now playing with Fleck's recruits and Fleck's choices for assistant coaches.
And they lost another scoring opportunity like last year because Fleck has to be the star of the show and go on the field against the rules.
Why else the nonsense of his sprinting down the sidelines when the quarters change?
It is all look at me.

No.
The point is the administrative staff at the U is more risk averse (fear of being sued) than at OSU, Nebraska, etc.
So if there were any colleges in the Big Ten who would have forced their football staff to play it "safe" due to COVID, it would be Minnesota (and maybe Northwestern).

No need to look any further than how the various governors of each state have handled this epidemic.

Top Bottom