***OFFICIAL GOPHERS VS MICHIGAN IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Show me the +/- stats from this game and prove me wrong. There's a hell of a lot more to a basketball player than the ability to score. If you want to watch scoring only and zero fundamental basketball, watch the NBA instead.

I agree with the first part of your statement, but I think the average NBA team plays better fundamental basketball than this team.

Show me the +/- stats from this game and prove me wrong. There's a hell of a lot more to a basketball player than the ability to score. If you want to watch scoring only and zero fundamental basketball, watch the NBA instead.

You don't watch the NBA do you? I get this is a college forum, but man. So much bitterness towards the NBA lately.

Really a pathetic and awful loss we were up 9 at the under 8 timeout and really should have been up a lot more. King and Mathieu were absolutely awful today and really cost us the game with their numerous unforced turnovers and getting lost on D. Really disappointed with our bigs today they let a freshmen that hasn't looked very good at all in previous conference games really outplay them both badly. We also let a small Michigan team get a number of 2nd chance opportunities on offensive rebounds and that all comes down to effort. I was glad to see at least 1 senior step up in Andre and play pretty decent and really keep us in the game early in the 1st half. I would have liked to see a lineup of Mason, Hollins, Morris, Buggs, and Mo in down the stretch as I thought that was our best lineup today and sometimes you just need to go with who is playing the best at that time rather than always going back to the guys who were in the starting lineup. I'm hoping that this team can recover and go on a nice little win streak starting Tuesday against Iowa but this game really seems like it will be tough to recover from.

While the Time out thing hurt. I can't put this TOO much on Pitino. Although he does deserve some blame. Joey King wide open corner 3? Missed. Mo Walker wide open under the hoop? Can't catch the ball. Dre Hollins open in the corner? Pass to the defender.

I saw so many times the players were in "a position to succeed" as the coach is supposed to do and either missed, threw the ball away, or just did something else completely mind blowing. Gophers got great looks most of the game. Then missed shots, Michigan made a run, then they got tentative. Then they submitted. Now, it is Pitino's job to help motivate them, but I see very few issues from the X's and O's side.

You don't watch the NBA do you? I get this is a college forum, but man. So much bitterness towards the NBA lately.

NBA, first 3 quarters of a game: A guy dribbles a ball down the court. The defenders stand around and watch him make a move and drive/shoot/slam dunk. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Throw in a foul for nicking a guy with a pinkie here and there so that the refs complicit in fixing games can get their payout, and watch the points pile up at the free throw line. Listen to the piped in beats do all the clapping for the crowd who is there to watch the spectacle of wide-open slam dunks rather than a basketball game.
Then start playing in the 4th quarter and see who comes out on top. NBA - the antithesis to competitive sport.

I'm looking forward to the Twins. I enjoy the first couple months of the year and then tune out once they start to give up. Same for the wolves although injuries caused me to tune out early this year.

But as far as real excitement goes. I'm just waiting for Vikings and Gopher Football to start again. It's gonna be a long off season.

Sorry, it was meant to say I am now looking forward to the Twins, meaning I have lost all excitement for everything else going on right now.

While the Time out thing hurt. I can't put this TOO much on Pitino. Although he does deserve some blame. Joey King wide open corner 3? Missed. Mo Walker wide open under the hoop? Can't catch the ball. Dre Hollins open in the corner? Pass to the defender.

I saw so many times the players were in "a position to succeed" as the coach is supposed to do and either missed, threw the ball away, or just did something else completely mind blowing. Gophers got great looks most of the game. Then missed shots, Michigan made a run, then they got tentative. Then they submitted. Now, it is Pitino's job to help motivate them, but I see very few issues from the X's and O's side.

Completely agree. All that a coach can do is prepare them and put them in a position to succeed. Pitino did that. It is not his fault that we missed a pair of layups or that Dre made a few horrible passes or that Mo can't catch an easy lob pass for a layup. He put them in position and they didn't come through.

NBA, first 3 quarters of a game: A guy dribbles a ball down the court. The defenders stand around and watch him make a move and drive/shoot/slam dunk. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Throw in a foul for nicking a guy with a pinkie here and there so that the refs complicit in fixing games can get their payout, and watch the points pile up at the free throw line. Listen to the piped in beats do all the clapping for the crowd who is there to watch the spectacle of wide-open slam dunks rather than a basketball game. Then start playing in the 4th quarter and see who comes out on top. NBA - the antithesis to competitive sport.

Lol yup. You don't watch the NBA. Thanks for answering my question in a lot more words than you needed to.

I haven't watched it this year much but I've watched it quite a bit over the last ten years. I think the quality of basketball played there gets a really bad rap from college basketball fans. Part of the differences is that those players play an 82 game season, with three or four games a week, and with extended playoff games if they get there. In that regard, they do have to pace themselves a little more during the season.

Lol yup. You don't watch the NBA. Thanks for answering my question in a lot more words than you needed to.

So you're saying that the game totally changed since I stopped watching the NBA 5 years ago?
I know one thing, the TWolves continue to have terrible luck and suck.

I haven't watched it this year much but I've watched it quite a bit over the last ten years. I think the quality of basketball played there gets a really bad rap from college basketball fans. Part of the differences is that those players play an 82 game season, with three or four games a week, and with extended playoff games if they get there. In that regard, they do have to pace themselves a little more during the season.

They have 12-man rosters filled with former superstars. No excuses to be tired.

Sorry, it was meant to say I am now looking forward to the Twins, meaning I have lost all excitement for everything else going on right now.

+. The team that's lost 90 games 4 years in a row is our bright spot.... :cry:

Gross. I'm with the guy who is cancelling cable. At the very least, I can use crappy MN sports for leverage when I call.

NBA, first 3 quarters of a game: A guy dribbles a ball down the court. The defenders stand around and watch him make a move and drive/shoot/slam dunk. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Throw in a foul for nicking a guy with a pinkie here and there so that the refs complicit in fixing games can get their payout, and watch the points pile up at the free throw line. Listen to the piped in beats do all the clapping for the crowd who is there to watch the spectacle of wide-open slam dunks rather than a basketball game.
Then start playing in the 4th quarter and see who comes out on top. NBA - the antithesis to competitive sport.

Pretty much. Plus the first 81 games are a long exhibition for the 5 teams who actually have a chance to win a title.

This one hurts. Michigan was ready to lay down a few times yet we still found a way to lose. Need a few wins and hopefully get some confidence back.

Need to vent, so I'll put it here. I DESPISE this team right now. A collection of choke artists who melt down at ANY sign of push back from the opposition. I believe FromTheBarn on Twitter stated about the Purdue game that according to KenPom, the Gophers had like a 94% chance to win when up 9 in the second half of that game, so I am pretty confident in saying this is the second game the Gophers have now blown when the had a 90 plus percent win probability.

Andre Hollins missing a wide open transition layup to put the team up 12
Deandre Mathieu throwing the ball out of bounds TWICE in the last 7 minutes
Joey King with a god awful turnover on an attempt to enter the ball to Mo
Mo Walker CALLING for the ball in transition, Nate Mason giving it to him, Mo fails to catch it and turns it over
Joey King wide open 3 line drive brick
Mo Walker miss BOTH free throws
Andre Hollins with a god awful turnover basically handing the ball to Michigan with under a minute left

SENIORS and a Junior just handing a game to the opposition with unbelievably weak minded play. A veteran team with this talent level, with mediocre ability under pressure is 3-1 in conference right now. A similar team that's simply bad under pressure is 2-2. The Gophers are 0-4 and that's exactly where they deserve to be.

Top Bottom