***OFFICIAL FGCU VS MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Just as the team shows their fans signs of improvement they drop off the BTN schedule, with the next four games on either B1G- or the Poppycock network. Even the Michigan game. Next BTN telecast not until Jan.7 vs Maryland. Happy New Year.
😖

Total wins can be misleading when you schedule as awfully as they did. Nebraska was 7-0 too, doesn't mean a ton.

Well, duh. It means something to me because I'm anticipating being happier after more games than last season. If you need to check the opponent's Pomeroy ranking before deciding whether to enjoy a win, knock yourself out.

My thoughts on this game:

We came out and immediately took a dump on the floor against a team that had three players out due to the flu. We were lazy on defense and settled for jump shots on offense. I was really hoping the energy from the Nebraska game would be maintained, but we reverted to a lazy team that had 4 turnovers in the first 10 minutes. This cannot keep happening if we are going to have any chance at post season play. 40 minutes of hard-nosed play is required.

Ben must have lit into them in a mid first half timeout because the kids finally started attacking the basket on the offensive end and sought to rebound on that end as well. This was the turning point in the game.

Ihnen made shots, but even better, he attacked the basket.

Fox is given no respect on the offensive end. He had a play where he caught the ball at the free throw line and his defender stood under the basket without a care in the world. Fox had the entire lane open and he never attacked. Later on he attempted a few 3 point shots and showed the world why no one guards him. He has to accept the junkyard role of getting offensive rebounds and put backs or else he will be a negative for this team.

Ola-Joseph has improved his range and simply needs to attack on the offensive end.

Christie will get better and better as he adds muscle. We have to keep him from going to the portal. Step up Dinky Town Athletics.

Hawkins and Mitchell are finding their groove and figuring out their strengths.

Payne knows his role and is always a net positive.

Overall, this game shows us nothing about how well these kids will perform in the B1G. But, it does speak to the fact that these kids still can't put together 40 minutes of excellence. If I am coach, I am going Bobby Knight on their @$$ and demanding something better than what they gave me. Great teams don't make mistakes. This team is far away from competing at an NCAA tournament level.

Ben, get these kids in the gym and drill them until they get it right. This is a "Miracle" moment. "Again...Again...Again!"

Regardless of the quality of the opponents, there are things to like about this team:

1. I have no idea how Johnson found Christie, but he can really play. If Christie gets stronger, he'll play in the NBA. In the NIL world, it's going to be tough to keep him.

2. The team shares the ball. Hawkins has a little bit of Marcus Carr in him, but it seems to be under control.

3. The team seems to be developing confidence.

4. Johnson is finally playing the right players at the right time and he has figured out that Christie needs to be on the floor at least 30 minutes during B1G games.

Things seem to be looking up (maybe).

Fox needs to stop dishing when he’s at the basket for an easy make or has a wide open look. Seems he’s afraid to take a shot!

I hate that we have a freshman who looks like he might be the best guard since Amir (and might eventually be better) and we're already worried about losing him before the BIG season really gets going. Somebody please fix this portal/NIL crap.

1. I have no idea how Johnson found Christie, but he can really play. If Christie gets stronger, he'll play in the NBA. In the NIL world, it's going to be tough to keep him.
Found? Christie was one of the top ranked players in Illinois, with an older brother who was a McD's AA and plays for the Lakers...hardly some diamond in the rough.

If you mean no idea how BJ signed him, then sure I agree.

Random stats
Christie with a career high 6 rebounds. Most previously was 3
Fox with a Gopher career high 23 minutes. Most previously was 15. Also was the most rebounds with 7. Previous high was 6. Most 3's attempted also with 3. Had never attempted one before today.
Ola_Joseph matches his career high with 17 points. Most attempts and most 3's made for Joshua in his career. 3 of 4 today and 9 of 15 on the season.
Keinys with his first bucket as a Gopher.

Fun game today. Despite the shitty crowd (attendance wise), we supported the boys and made a bit of noise in the 2nd half.

The Dawson injury may end up being a blessing in disguise, provided he can get back to 100% before Michigan.

JOJ is a complete beast and it continues to bewilder me how most of you simps don't realize what we have with him. Future all B1G player.

Keep stacking wins and bring on IUPUI!!

I have some land to sell Dane. I'd be shocked if it doesn't triple in value in the next 2 years.
They have more talent than some of you give them credit for. I haven't been high on Ben's coaching, but they do have talent they are putting on the floor now. You can choose your negativity though.

They have more talent than some of you give them credit for. I haven't been high on Ben's coaching, but they do have talent they are putting on the floor now. You can choose your negativity though.
Still not great talent. What you are starting to see is maximizing talent with great effort. That is coaching.

If the "Good Half" Gophers could ever put two "Good Halves" together in the same game, that would be something to watch.

on the other hand, if the "Bad Half" Gophers ever put two "Bad Halves" together in the same game...............that would be something to watch.

I hate that we have a freshman who looks like he might be the best guard since Amir (and might eventually be better) and we're already worried about losing him before the BIG season really gets going. Somebody please fix this portal/NIL crap.
I was thinking the same thing today. Every time he made a play my thought process was, "OK, what's it going to take for next year? $1M? $2M? Where's the money coming from?"

For 100 years the athletes were completely screwed. Now it's ungovernable chaos.

If the "Good Half" Gophers could ever put two "Good Halves" together in the same game, that would be something to watch.

on the other hand, if the "Bad Half" Gophers ever put two "Bad Halves" together in the same game...............that would be something to watch.

Actually, now that I think about it, we did approach your second "what-if" against San Francisco and that was unpleasant to say the least.

Still not great talent. What you are starting to see is maximizing talent with great effort. That is coaching.
They are playing better, but there is talent and a lot of room for them to still play a lot more efficiently.

A good team is a team that works together. All year we've had lots of assists coming from lots of different players. Now we have forced the last two teams to turnover the ball and we've reduced our own turnovers. If that holds we will be better. Last year we stunk at freethrows, rebounding and had no bench. These things have dramatically improved this year. Our bench almost always outscores the other team's bench. We are shooting FTs in the top half of the BIG and we out rebound most teams or it's close. This is a solid team and they are going to get at least two games without Garcia which will only help them learn to not rely on Garcia...which was something they needed to do. This is going to be a team that is so much better than last year's team...it already is.

Now I'd just like to see them string two solid halves together. Not playing 40 minutes is this team's biggest weakness. The other weakness is the turnovers which it seems they are addressing...

So you believe that was a solid take? Optimism is fine but he didn't say it could happen. He predicted a top 6 finish and said "I'll be shocked if they don't make the NCAA tournament". That is either really bad analysis or shameless pandering.

Last edited:

Top Bottom