***OFFICIAL DEPAUL AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

I don't understand how Carr has so much run. I hate to bring up IW, but is there much of a difference between Carr and IW? I get, aesthetically, they play different brands of basketball, but Carr over dribbles, over penetrates, turns the ball over, takes bad shots, and misses a lot of shots. I can't speak to effort at practice, attitude, etc. That plays a big part that we fans don't see.

It's odd to me that IW was relegated to mop-up duty, all but forced to transfer out, and Carr plays 35+ minutes a game and is the team captain. I think Carr can be a gamer for us, but not running the offense. I feel like RP doesn't know what he wants/needs. It's been an issue on past teams; unfortunately, I think the inconsistency, lack of identity, roster mismanagement, etc., will make this year extra long.

I would love to see some entended Greenlee minutes in December. If he can run the offense, play defense and penetrate under control, that would really open things up for Willis, Gabe and even Carr on the wing.

umm one defends and the other doesn’t. Its not even close that Carr is better

We’ve had point guards before that don’t make others better. Pitino will get the message through that the point guard is there to get others good shots. I’m sure Carr in film study will get the message over dribbling without purpose will reduce his playing time. His on-ball defense is good, but the off the ball intangibles are lacking. He also needs to have confidence in his 3pt shot.

When you say defends, are you referring to the defensive effort? If so, you are correct. It doesn't mean that it is a strength of his. That was apparent against Depaul.

I also think Carr is a better overall basketball player. My gripe is the blatant inconsistency from RP in his handling of both players. Carr shouldn't be playing 35 minutes a game and Isaiah shouldn't have been sitting 40 minutes a game when there was no true PG on the roster.

Carr absolutely shut Moore down.

IW wasn't very good and Pitino kept him on a short leash. I've been watching gopher hoops for decades. Based on the first seven games, I can't remember a worse PG than Carr. I'd take Kim Zurcher (rest in peace) and the kid that Pitino brought in from Baltimore four years ago (can't remember his name) who lasted half a season over Carr.

When you say defends, are you referring to the defensive effort? If so, you are correct. It doesn't mean that it is a strength of his. That was apparent against Depaul.

I also think Carr is a better overall basketball player. My gripe is the blatant inconsistency from RP in his handling of both players. Carr shouldn't be playing 35 minutes a game and Isaiah shouldn't have been sitting 40 minutes a game when there was no true PG on the roster.

Moore played well for sure because he's a good player. Dude came from Kansas. The fact Carr was on him over Gabe and Willis is something I found interesting,RP and the staffs trust in Carr defensively. Can agree that maybe Carr shouldn't be getting 35 a night right now, but IW was terrible. Offensively I am more than ok ripping Pitino for some of IW issues offensively, but defensively I haven't seen a guy a shot bad as him in a long time. That's why he got no minutes

Last edited:

IW wasn't very good and Pitino kept him on a short leash. I've been watching gopher hoops for decades. Based on the first seven games, I can't remember a worse PG than Carr. I'd take Kim Zurcher (rest in peace) and the kid that Pitino brought in from Baltimore four years ago (can't remember his name) who lasted half a season over Carr.

Carr is fine, not great and not playing well currently, but he has history on his side that he's not terrible. I'm willing to hold out and believe he will start playing better. It's laughable to say you'd rather have Kevin Dorsey (that kid from Baltimore) than Marcus Carr. Good grief

Moore played well for sure because he's a good player. Dude came from Kansas. The fact Carr was on him over Gabe and Willis is something I found interesting, but shows RP,am deathly the staffs trust in Carr defensively. Can agree that maybe Carr shouldn't be getting 35 a night right now, but IW was terrible. Offensively I am more than ok ripping Pitino for some of IW issues offensively, but defensively I haven't seen a guy a shot bad as him in a long time. That's why he got no minutes

Simple matter of athleticism, Moore was to quick for Kalschuer or Willis to defend.

Simple matter of athleticism, Moore was to quick for Kalschuer or Willis to defend.

Kalschuer guarded Carsen Edwards last season, is more that much more athletic? Seems like there must be more to the story or this staff felt Carr is a good defender.

Just getting to this thread. I was at the game, and my cousin and I were astonished at how demonstrative the DePaul players and their coaches were. There was at least two different instances where technical fouls should have been called, and many other times it was close to crossing the line. I haven't seen a team complain that much in years. And we found it completely unwarranted, as the refs were allowing their bigs to be VERY physical all game.

Who do you plan to call out before the next game?

Top Bottom