***OFFICIAL CLEMSON AT MINNESOTA BIG TEN/ACC CHALLENGE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

What’s the deal with Ihnen? Wrist still an issue?

He played tonight, the last minute forty of garbage time. He seems big enough. Maybe there are other issues besides the wrist.

It seems that Carr has the ability but that his performances are uneven. Hardly a surprise given he's still learning how to use the keys to the car (pun intended, I guess). Frischilla had a great quote tonight that I completely agree with: "your point guard is not allowed to have a bad game". Marcus needs to adopt that mentality.

Even Isaiah Washington shot better from 3 than Marcus Carr. Man, what a letdown. I can't believe I'm pining for IW, but he'd be an improvement over Carr right now.

You realize IW is a career 20% 3-point shooter, right?

Even Isaiah Washington shot better from 3 than Marcus Carr. Man, what a letdown. I can't believe I'm pining for IW, but he'd be an improvement over Carr right now.
I had similar thoughts over the weekend. I checked IW’s stats with new team. Woeful.
Root for Carr to play better consistently. ?

Carr shoots. Sometimes not well. He is good at getting into the paint. Had some great passes tonight and ended up with really solid numbers.

y’all need to relax a bit. That Clemson team sucked. Game was never in doubt.

Probably the most boring game I’ve ever attended. officiating was a disaster. Delayed whistles and one guy called 75% of the fouls. Had a terrible experience at Stubs pregame (left without my food but had already paid for it) and it was just bad

however, i thought the team played well. Hit some shots, never really let Clemson back in it.

After the game Carr had, I expected to find this thread with comments talking about how Carr is progressing as a player, finding his groove after a transfer (sit out) year, etc.. Instead, it’s people wishing IW was back (ironically, probably the same people that wanted him gone). The impatience with specific players is incredible sometimes. I can’t wait to see Carr progress this year and the next TWO FULL years after this... he’s a redshirt SOPHOMORE if you forgot. Yeah, he dribbles too much sometimes and takes some shots out of rhythm, but people already saying he’s not “it” are wild. Officially starting my gopherhole version of freezing cold takes for Marcus Carr.

You realize IW is a career 20% 3-point shooter, right?
So...better than Carr then...
What I noted was the two times Carr made a 3 point shot was when he caught the ball in rythm without having to think about anything. Everytime he tried a shot fake or hesitation, he bricked the shot.
Clemson showed they aren't a good team. You don't lose to this Gopher team by nearly 20 points if you are even a descent team. While Carr scored points, he has a ton of flaws that make him a mediocre point guard at best. I can think of at least 10 former Gopher point guards I would take over Carr.

I know the schedule has been challenging but there don’t seem to be enough easy games coming to all of a sudden get Freeman and Ihnen consistent minutes going forward.
Very disappointed they have not been playing early in the season.
We need their contributions this year but even more so next year. I’d even like to see Greenlee get more minutes.
If we are a 12 win or better conference team without them playing...I’m wrong. I don’t see that result coming from Hurt and Demir getting the minutes in their place. And then if we are introducing the 3 FR as SO next year into action it means another “wait til next year season.”
Roster construction: we’ll have Martice, Omersa, Freeman in the front court. Three guys who struggle to be an offensive threat or to score.
We recruited them! They have to play (and get better) or we are not going to surprise people! If they are not going to play we shouldn’t have recruited them. We don’t have any established players other than Gabe and Oturu on the roster. If the FR don’t play this year it’s hard to see them excelling next year. (And what if Oturu keeps stepping up and moves onto to the NBA draft ala Coffey ?). Mashburn can’t carry us. We need those 3 FR to grow. Rare that happens without getting consistent minutes.

What I noted was the two times Carr made a 3 point shot was when he caught the ball in rythm without having to think about anything. Everytime he tried a shot fake or hesitation, he bricked the shot.
Clemson showed they aren't a good team. You don't lose to this Gopher team by nearly 20 points if you are even a descent team. While Carr scored points, he has a ton of flaws that make him a mediocre point guard at best. I can think of at least 10 former Gopher point guards I would take over Carr.

I’ll be here... patiently waiting for your list of at least 10 former Gopher point guards, 8 games into their sophomore year that you take over Carr.

Good game overall. Clemson is not good, but probably on par with Utah. Carr needs to play like this every game for us to have a chance.

I’ll be here... patiently waiting for your list of at least 10 former Gopher point guards, 8 games into their sophomore year that you take over Carr.

You could argue Mason is the best point guard in 20 years, and a top 5 in program history, and he got destroyed on this board his sophomore year.

Last edited:

Bobby Jackson
Flip Saunders
Willie Burton
Ray Williams
Voshon Lenard
Archie Clark
Al Nolen
Nate Mason
Kevin Burleson
Ariel McDonald

Willie Burton surely was not a point guard. Very much a shooter.
Add Melvin Newbern to the list. He was excellent. Willie’s PG

Last edited:

Bobby Jackson
Flip Saunders
Willie Burton
Ray Williams
Voshon Lenard
Archie Clark
Al Nolen
Nate Mason
Kevin Burleson
Ariel McDonald
Kent Nix if I got the name right...Championship PG with Musselman
Hoffarber played point out of necessity.
Guessing still forgetting some but all guys listed are solid Gophers. Burleson not a PG but obviously nice Gopher.
Add Melvin Newbern..excellent

Last edited:

Bobby Jackson
Flip Saunders
Willie Burton
Ray Williams
Voshon Lenard
Archie Clark
Al Nolen
Nate Mason
Kevin Burleson
Ariel McDonald

Check my last comment about Mason. Nolen was also getting ripped at that stage in his career. Carr is currently averaging more assists than both of them right now on a career basis. Just an FYI... Mason is my favorite Gopher in last 20 years.

Bobby Jackson
Flip Saunders
Willie Burton
Ray Williams
Voshon Lenard
Archie Clark
Al Nolen
Nate Mason
Kevin Burleson
Ariel McDonald

LoL... though i'm not saying he couldn't run it (he could do anything), Willie Burton was a forward, not a point guard. You could switch his teammate Melvin Newbern into his place, however. He was fun to watch. Good for a couple steals and breakaways each game.

**looks like 60's Guy beat me to the Newbern mention!

Carr has talent. He does need to find his way and become more consistent.

Bobby Jackson
Flip Saunders
Willie Burton
Ray Williams
Voshon Lenard
Archie Clark
Al Nolen
Nate Mason
Kevin Burleson
Ariel McDonald

Um... Voshon Lenard? Point guard? I think not. Great shooting guard though!

But yeah, these comments about Isaiah Washington are wild. I was rooting for him to succeed here, but this is a guy who's averaging 5.8 pts and 3.5 assists on 32% shooting. At Iona. Against fearsome opponents such as Kennesaw State and Stetson...

I agree with all the criticisms of Carr, but also think that he should be given time to improve. We saw some potential here tonight against a shorthanded Clemson team. He's not going to have it that easy every game, but hopefully he can build on this. Ultimately, it seems like a lot of his issues come down to decision making. We've seen examples of players improving in this regard (e.g., Mason), but it's hard to predict whether Carr will or not.

After the game Carr had, I expected to find this thread with comments talking about how Carr is progressing as a player, finding his groove after a transfer (sit out) year, etc.. Instead, it’s people wishing IW was back (ironically, probably the same people that wanted him gone).

Well, I said that I wish we still had IW but that was not a dig at Carr. I thought Carr was very good tonight, said so, and I believe he is more capable all around than IW. I still think IW is a good point guard and would help us coming off the bench because he was good at getting shots for players who have little or no ability to create their own.

I have not criticized Carr in a single time this season. I think his relative shooting inefficiency is at least partially due to having to be a primary scoring option and create his own shot on a team with too many players who have played passively this season. Gabe played more aggressively tonight and that helped a lot. Hurt actually started playing that way in the later stages of the game.

Last edited:

I was at the game and didn’t read the thread until now. This comment didn’t age well. Player of the game.
Sure thing.

Let's see how effective he is as the season progresses. Thus far my comment stands, otherwise the team would have more wins as the pg is the orchestrator.

Carr has talent. He does need to find his way and become more consistent.

Carr had a good game, plays like that every game he Gophers will be a lot tougher to beat. Different rotations were used last night, Hurt played mostly on the wing, you can say what you want about him but the team gets better ball movement when he is in the game.

Greenlee got minutes when were both him and Carr were on the floor at the same time, I'm also hoping that is used a bit more, if Carr is hitting his shots with Kalschuer that's an interesting lineup.

Carr had a good game, plays like that every game he Gophers will be a lot tougher to beat. Different rotations were used last night, Hurt played mostly on the wing, you can say what you want about him but the team gets better ball movement when he is in the game.

Greenlee got minutes when were both him and Carr were on the floor at the same time, I'm also hoping that is used a bit more, if Carr is hitting his shots with Kalschuer that's an interesting lineup.

I would really like to see Greelee get more action. He is a spark plug and will be able to guard some people that Carr may have trouble with. He probably should have seen some action against DePaul's PG who scorched Carr.

Great game last night by Carr and a solid win. Beat Iowa!

Check my last comment about Mason. Nolen was also getting ripped at that stage in his career. Carr is currently averaging more assists than both of them right now on a career basis. Just an FYI... Mason is my favorite Gopher in last 20 years.
I don't recall Nolen

Like Carr, Nolen couldn't shoot. The point guard position when Nolen entered the program carried different responsibilities. The three wasn't as big a part of the game and point guards usually weren't looking for their shot first. As I recall, as a sophomore Nolen didn't kill ball movement, didn't soak up the shot clock with the ball in his hands and played top shelf defense. Unlikely that a 5'11" PG like Charlie Moore would have been able to laugh up and down the court like Moore did Friday.

You are correct that Nolen was criticized as a sophmore. It was primarily for his poor shooting percentage. Not shot selection. Not dribbling the shot clock away. Not depriving better shooters of opportunities. Not lack of defense. Carr leads a team with Oturu, Kalsheur and Willis in total shots this year. The way this team will win is if he gets those guys shots.

I agree that Carr will improve. I hope that the improvement will come through changing his style of play, not making a slightly higher percentage of too many shots. That won't move the needle for this team, especially in B1G play.

Top Bottom