***OFFICIAL BOSTON COLLEGE AT MINNESOTA BIG TEN/ACC CHALLENGE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Don't know that he's done for the year. If anyone watched the Gonzaga/WVU game....Jalen Suggs went down with what looked like an ACL tear or something. He looked done....and then ended coming back into the game.
Everyone shell shocked fron Curry previous injuries and assume done for year. He could be playing thursday for all we know, but probably best to take one off against umkc.

Until Johnson is back and perhaps beyond: Carr, Mashburn, Gach, Ihnen, Robbins. Perhaps Johnson starts for Robbins when he returns.

Until Johnson is back and perhaps beyond: Carr, Mashburn, Gach, Ihnen, Robbins. Perhaps Johnson starts for Robbins when he returns.

Robbins had 14 and 8 tonight against the touted Mitchell kid. I’ll take 14/8 on repeat.

Both Gach has such a smooth game. Two excellent games in a row, and he has played hard on defense as well. I kind of agree with the color commentator tonight when she said Pitino should let Carr play off the ball sometimes and let Both create.
I would have had him bring the ball down at the end of regulation. We knew the defense was going to focus on Carr.

Youre not but remember what it looked like when Richard first got here? We were lucky if we got 1-2 turnovers a game off of it. Wasn't coached effectively at all.
For what it’s worth Minnesota was 10th nationally in steals in Pitino’s first year, and 6th nationally in his second year. FIU was 19th in steals in his one year there, but I don’t think those numbers have kept up since then.

Robbins had 14 and 8 tonight against the touted Mitchell kid. I’ll take 14/8 on repeat.

Yes, you catch teach height. Robbins is shaky at times, doesn't have the greatest hands, and is a bit soft, but he got better as the game went on and was clutch late in the game. Let him grow into his job. He's clearly our best option for big minutes in the interior. Nobody else is any more reliable and all the rest of them are smaller.

He landed awkwardly on his left leg and grabbed his ankle/ lower leg area. He was assisted off and did not bear weight on his left foot.
If you watch the replay, you can see he rolled his left ankle when he went up. I felt better when I saw that. I think it is an ankle sprain and not something more serious.

Yes. 24 points from the bench tonight. How often do you see that from a Pitino team?

Has to be nearing an all time high? Can’t remember the Charles Buggs Game anymore. Was that even Pitino coaching?

Didn't see the game What exactly happened to BJ?

He went down after going for a rebound in the overtime. Don't think anybody knows for sure but it didn't look extremely serious - probably a sprain that might cause him to miss a game or two.

I’ve been preaching Mashburn.

Gabe provided nothing. 4pts, 1 assist. Realllllly think he needs to come off the bench. Might feel less pressure.
Mashburn looks very natural at the point and the team calms down. I think he would be good with Carr playing off the ball part of the game. It's too easy for the rest of the guys to just watch Carr dribble (which is amazing at times).

Has to be nearing an all time high? Can’t remember the Charles Buggs Game anymore. Was that even Pitino coaching?

Yes, that was Pitino's first season. Buggs had done next to nothing up to that point - 13 against Iowa. I looked up that game and that might have been the high - 26 points off the bench - but Mo
Walker nominally came off the bench that year even though he usually played more than the starter, Elliot.

Well, narrowly beat a pedestrian BC team, but a win is a win and they keep finding ways to do so. As a gopher fan, I can never complain with a W!

Pros:
-Absolutely love Gach AND Tre Williams' length and slashing ability on the wing.
-Mashburn needs more minutes. He has a knack for scoring and making plays happen
-We found a way to win in spite of a "down" game from Carr, which is important

Cons:
-The play of our bigs leaves alot to be desired. Robbins has some nice moments here and there but he just doesn't look the part. Curry and Omersa are hardly worth putting on the floor.
-Gabe :/ (I'd like to see Mash and Tre get more of his minutes)

The gap in talent between BC and Minnesota was quite large. The gap on the scoreboard was not. I actually thought the team was playing very good defense to start the game. BC was struggling to even get the ball inside in the arc and was forced to settle for low percentage shots. Unfortunately the Gophers offense was bad with unforced turnovers and poor shooting. My opinion is the poor shooting affected the defensive effort and lead to some very uninspired minutes and a ridiculous 15 point deficit. This team needs to run an offensive system of some sort. They just don't freestyle well even if Both and Marcus are capable of making 1 on 1 attacks. One of the worst possessions of the game was in the first half where Marcus Carr took a no pass 3 and then allowed a transition layup in one on one defense on the other end. The best player on the team can't take a bad shot and then give poor effort on the other end.

The end of the 2nd half was why it's going to be hard to ever win with Pitino. Two point lead and like a 5 second difference between the game and shot clock. The ball simply cannot hit Inhen's hands there. As soon as Both got the ball off the Marcus Carr trap, he's got to hold it. Take a timeout if you get trapped like Marcus did. Pitino had to be at the ready to call a timeout there and he wasn't. The predictable two misses from Ihnen (a Gopher tradition!) then BC scores on the other end. Marcus wanted to go fast and get a shot, but Pitino calls a timeout. The result is BC completely shuts down the "play" forces Carr to his weak hand (and the sideline) and we settle for essentially a half court heave when we had 5 seconds and were in the double bonus. These things simply cannot happen and they just consistently happen late with Pitino. There were huge tactical errors last year that lead to blown late leads against Purdue, Iowa, and Maryland and the end game tonight was very reminiscent of those.

On the plus side, I really liked what I saw from Ihnen on the boards and defensively in the second half tonight. His length is a problem for players, but he's high waisted and not very strong so it's important to put him in the right positions to have the most impact. Jamal Mashburn Jr was fantastic in the run back from 15 down and played by far his best minutes of the season. Brandon Johnson (prior to his injury) again was coming up with the winning plays, especially rebounds, in crunch time that reminded me of a Freshman year Eric Curry. This was the first game all year where I'd agree with those who say the Gophers have depth.

BC hit a lot of 3s and built a lead. They came back to earth and lost. BC has some talent. They’ll get killed inside against a lot of teams.

Wow EG - solid comments. Let's play Mash at the point, with Carr and Both at the wings... Robbins I guess at the 5 or 4.. Someone else needs to fill in the other 4.

This was an important win. The Gophers beat a quality team on what was essentially a neutral court. The rotations are beginning to crystallize and the team will continue to become better connected. The move toward playing Ihnen, Mashburn, and Williams more minutes tonight was significant.

good win.

Mashburn is going to be a stud for us down the road....he will fill in nicely for Carr as our volume shooter in years to come

The bench of Ihnen, Williams, & Mashburn was awesome when they clawed back from 15 down.

Minutes seem to be more in line with what i was thinking if we stayed out of foul trouble with Curry & Omersa getting less run. Those two will still be important for this team and will need to be relied on because of foul trouble and injuries....hopefully Johnson wont miss more then a couple games.

Top Bottom