***OFFICIAL BOSTON COLLEGE AT MINNESOTA BIG TEN/ACC CHALLENGE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Stan

Reaction score
4-0 is where we expected to be and it's where we are. Things likely to get a lot harder on Tuesday night in The Barn as we welcome Boston College. Getting a P5 win will be important for our NCAA resume. This is a game we should win. We need shots to fall and the bigs to stay out of foul trouble.

Carr can't do it all by himself every game, someone else needs to step up with a solid double digit plus performance.

GET 'ER DONE PITINO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Both and Gabe need very good games to win. Get physical on the boards and we should be in good shape to get the win

4-0 is where we expected to be and it's where we are. Things likely to get a lot harder on Tuesday night in The Barn as we welcome Boston College. Getting a P5 win will be important for our NCAA resume. This is a game we should win. We need shots to fall and the bigs to stay out of foul trouble.

Carr can't do it all by himself every game, someone else needs to step up with a solid double digit plus performance.

GET 'ER DONE PITINO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am almost at the point of saying Carr, Gach, and Johnson can’t do it by themselves. The rest of the team needs to step up on offense. Hope Gabe has a good night. Robbins needs to finish strong. Hope to see Mutaf in the game.

I am almost at the point of saying Carr, Gach, and Johnson can’t do it by themselves. The rest of the team needs to step up on offense. Hope Gabe has a good night. Robbins needs to finish strong. Hope to see Mutaf in the game.

How many guys do you think typically score in double figures? If those three are in double figures, offensively we will most likely be fine. Most games you only have 3 and maybe 4 that do score in double figures. Need to defend and limit turnovers and they will be fine. Don't defend or limit turnovers and they will most likely lose.

How many guys do you think typically score in double figures? If those three are in double figures, offensively we will most likely be fine. Most games you only have 3 and maybe 4 that do score in double figures. Need to defend and limit turnovers and they will be fine. Don't defend or limit turnovers and they will most likely lose.
2-3 guys that are on per night and the rest of the group just needs to get out of the own way and play dependable defense.

2-3 guys that are on per night and the rest of the group just needs to get out of the own way and play dependable defense.

Exactly. I'd argue that balanced scoring really looks like having one guy with 18+, one in the 13+, one more with 10+, and three in the 4-9 range. That gets you to 60 points at the bottom of those ranges not counting two to three other bench players with 0-4 points. Keeping teams under 65 and you have a good formula for winning many games.

I think people are overestimating Boston College. What have we seen from them that shows they are good?
Barn will be rocking tonight.

I've watched all three of their losses to Villanova, St Johns, and Florida. Outside of running into the buzzsaw against Florida (Florida looked great that game), they have been competent, which is the best compliment I've given BC in 10+ years it seems. Their backcourt can flat-out put the ball in the basket.

Last edited:

I've watched all three of their losses to Villanova, St Johns, and Florida. Outside of running into the buzzsaw again Florida (Florida looked great that game), they have been competent, which is the best compliment I've given BC in 10+ years it seems. Their backcourt can flat-out put the ball in the basket.

Apparently they can score, but can't play defense. Gophers need to not shoot themselves in the foot with unforced turnovers.

I've watched all three of their losses to Villanova, St Johns, and Florida. Outside of running into the buzzsaw again Florida (Florida looked great that game), they have been competent, which is the best compliment I've given BC in 10+ years it seems. Their backcourt can flat-out put the ball in the basket.

All I got from that is you watched 3 losses.

Gophers are 7.5 point favorites. I think the game will be closer. Hope to see a breakout game from Robbins and Gabe see some shots go through.

Robbins needs to slow down and make the shorties that he can get almost at will (when he posts up and there is a willing passer). I think he is the wildcard for this team.

1. I think Carr will stop ignoring Robbins working so hard to post up and actually make an entry pass or two.

2. I think Gabe will go 1-11 but everyone will continue to insist he's not hurting the team because he's playing tough defense.

3. I think Johnson will look like the team's second best player tonight.

4. I think Gach will have two fast break layups that will make people gasp out loud at his speed.

5. I think Ihnen will shoot another three-pointer that goes higher than a Britton Colquitt punt.

6. I think David Mutaf doesn't actually exist.

7. I think I miss Curry's old hair.

8. I think the Gophers win by six.

I think Gabe will shoot a percentage lower than the temperature and get minutes higher than it.

Carr will will his way to a Gopher victory.

Gach will make most of you forget about Gabe and wonder why Tre Williams doesn't get to play with Both and Marcus more.

Johnson will establish himself with authority.

Curry will put up big numbers in limited minutes.

Mutaf will be a cutout on the bench.

I watched BC vs Nova. The score indicates a competitive game. BC was firing 3s at will and everything was dropping. They weren’t running any offense and many of the the conversions were bad shots. As soon as they began to cool off late in the second half, Nova pulled away with ease.

BC will be our toughest test yet, but they are a bottom-tier ACC team.

Exactly. I'd argue that balanced scoring really looks like having one guy with 18+, one in the 13+, one more with 10+, and three in the 4-9 range. That gets you to 60 points at the bottom of those ranges not counting two to three other bench players with 0-4 points. Keeping teams under 65 and you have a good formula for winning many games.
Curious how you see this team (or if you see them) falling into these ranges.
Wouldn’t surprise me to see:
Carr: 18-20
Gach: 12-14
Gabe: 9-11
Johnson: 9-11
Robbins: 7-9
Mashburn: 4-6
Omersa: 3-5
Curry: 3-5
Tre: 3-5
Ihnen: 2-4

I don’t think any of those are unreasonable, and would put us around 70 a game. Play good defense and score 70, and that wins a decent amount of games. Curious where people think that I’m wrong

Curious how you see this team (or if you see them) falling into these ranges.
Wouldn’t surprise me to see:
Carr: 18-20
Gach: 12-14
Gabe: 9-11
Johnson: 9-11
Robbins: 7-9
Mashburn: 4-6
Omersa: 3-5
Curry: 3-5
Tre: 3-5
Ihnen: 2-4

I don’t think any of those are unreasonable, and would put us around 70 a game. Play good defense and score 70, and that wins a decent amount of games. Curious where people think that I’m wrong

I think this breakdown is close to what I envision for season totals. Omersa down a point or two and Mash or Robbins up one or two, but that's moot. Where things really get interesting is at the end of the year when Mash is rolling.
Defensively if we focus on keeping them under 65-70 we should end up being a tournament team. Of course there are better analytics to look at. Points Per Possession is a better model than Points Per Game, but most B1G teams play at a pace where holding teams to that 65 pt threshold would be very good. Iowa will score more of course, but they give up more and the opposite's true with Wisconsin.

Robbins and Johnson stay out of foul trouble. Gabe hit some bombs. Any bench players showing out would be very helpful.

I think this breakdown is close to what I envision for season totals. Omersa down a point or two and Mash or Robbins up one or two, but that's moot. Where things really get interesting is at the end of the year when Mash is rolling.
Defensively if we focus on keeping them under 65-70 we should end up being a tournament team. Of course there are better analytics to look at. Points Per Possession is a better model than Points Per Game, but most B1G teams play at a pace where holding teams to that 65 pt threshold would be very good. Iowa will score more of course, but they give up more and the opposite's true with Wisconsin.
Agree, points per game is far from the best metric to estimate how good a team will do as it ignores any aspect of efficiency, but it’s easy to notice and watch for and provides a quick glance into the team.
Also agree that Mashburn is the wildcard. If the gophers end up having a better year than expected, think it will be because he came in and gave us a few 12-15 point games off the bench and sparked the offense when guys like Carr were cold.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this Mitchell kid for BC is going to heat it up in the first half. Just sayin'

Thinking or maybe it is Hoping Carr and Gach score more than 18 and 14 on most nights.

I have a million channels via Comcast but somehow now ESPNU is no longer included. Anyone have ideas on finding it?

Does ESPNU come standard as a streaming add on?
I have a million channels via Comcast but somehow now ESPNU is no longer included. Anyone have ideas on finding it?
Sling orange + sports has a 3 day free trial. I’ve had an account with them a few years ago and was still given the trial. Must include the sports add on for ESPNU. Took me about 5 minutes to set up and add to roku.

Top Bottom