***OFFICIAL ARKANSAS PINE-BLUFF AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Don't think I've seen The Barn ever this empty. I admittedly missed last game and the season opener, but yikes.
I am under the weather, so I didn't go. In fact, only one of our group of four went. I feel bad the one had to go alone.

We've had a bad half in every game now. Lost the second half to Bethune Cookman 38-34, won the second half vs UTSA 48-46, lost second half 38-30 vs Missouri, won the first half vs SC Upstate 31-29, won the second half vs UAPB 35-31. It appears not to be just one thing... giving up 46 points in a half to UTSA is inexcusable as is only scoring 35 in a half against a Pine Bluff team that gave up 100 to Incarnate Word and Missouri.

San Francisco will be a bigger test, but a win also likely won't mean anything on our resume. They have lost to Boise State and Grand Canyon already.

Irrational exuberance maybe, but he has a chance to be very special.

Do you disagree?
I am with you when is the last time we had a 6’6 6’7 wing that can stroke it and is as fluid as him. To me the less point he plays the better. He is going to be a 15-20 point a night guy at some point.

Scoring droughts like the one in the beginning of the 2nd half are going to lose us a lot of Big 10 games. Need to know enough to stop settling for 3’s and pound it inside.

Christie is gonna play himself into starting too.

We've had a bad half in every game now. Lost the second half to Bethune Cookman 38-34, won the second half vs UTSA 48-46, lost second half 38-30 vs Missouri, won the first half vs SC Upstate 31-29, won the second half vs UAPB 35-31. It appears not to be just one thing... giving up 46 points in a half to UTSA is inexcusable as is only scoring 35 in a half against a Pine Bluff team that gave up 100 to Incarnate Word and Missouri.

San Francisco will be a bigger test, but a win also likely won't mean anything on our resume. They have lost to Boise State and Grand Canyon already.
They have also been able to build up significant leads in all the games this year, that is not something they were able to do much at all last year. So while seeing those leads evaporate some is concerning it is also encouraging to see a team capable of putting points on the board.

Last night they fell in love with shooting 3s in the second half instead of being more patient and getting the ball inside. Once they started doing that again they pulled away. Getting Payne healthy and back playing significant minutes will really help give them a down low presence to go to.

This team is significantly better than last year....tough to say what kind of Big Ten record that will translate to but this at least looks like a team that has a chance to be competitive most nights.

Can Christie is going to be really good, he definitely does not look like a true freshman.

Minutes
Garcia 30
Carrington 28
Ihnen 27
Christie 24
Ola-Joseph 22
Mitchell 21
Hawkins 17
Fox 14
Payne 10
Betts 7
Payne's number will go up as he gets healthy but nice to see a team with some depth that doesn't have to rely on the same 5-6 guys every night for heavy minutes. Hopefully that helps keep guys fresher as they get into the grind of the conference season.

I am not a Mitchell fan. He seems like he has to get HIS when he is out on the court. Agree that Payne will trend up as well as Christie.

We are still not shooting the three well....but...some of that is due to poor shot selection.

Ihnen needs to start playing like he is 6'10. Another guy who I call a "FLOATER" He wants to do 2 things, shoot the 3 and try to block shots. He hasn't shot the ball well since the first game. I would start Fox ahead of him..send him a message.

Mitchell averaging 2.2 TO/Game and 2.2 Assists /game??? He just doesn't bring the value as a lead guard.

I am not a Mitchell fan. He seems like he has to get HIS when he is out on the court. Agree that Payne will trend up as well as Christie.

We are still not shooting the three well....but...some of that is due to poor shot selection.
I see that- but I also see Mitchell being more of a fierce competitor than most of our guys. He, Fox and Hawkins have that edge more than the rest of this squad. This team is better but we are a year away. Even APB players look stronger than some of our guys.

Few things they have done this year they didn't do last year.
Hit 14 3's, most last year was 12
Scored over 80 three times. Last year never did that.
Had games of 34 and 35 free throw attempts. Last year most in any game was 27
Had 14 offensive rebounds. Last year's best was 13
Had games of 42 and 41 rebounds. Last year had one 40 or over
Have had two games with 9 steals. Last year had one.

And
Last year the most they ever turned it over was 13, they've matched and exceeded that with 13 and 14 this year.

This. It is unforgivable with this size advantage to not be more patient and take it inside. The competition level is so bad that it is making us play some sloppy ball.
In response to you and @upnorthkid : After not watching the second half one could make the argument that, purely looking at a box score, that isn’t the worst shot distribution in the world. Of the 2pts, how many were long 2s? That’s the worst shot in basketball and you are statistically better to take a step back and shoot the 3pt shot. In the first half I saw a ton of good looks from 3, they just didn’t drop (Carrington should be told not to shoot it unless he at first goes hard to the rim and makes a layup and hits a free throw first). Also, the overwhelming height advantage we had goes both ways…yes we should’ve pounded it down their throats for layups (think Payne in the first half when he had a hell of a seal deep on the block)…but one could say shooters could’ve felt more confident when shooting treys that we would’ve most likely gotten the offensive rebounds.

Again, didn’t watch the second half because of apathy due to opponent.

In response to you and @upnorthkid : After not watching the second half one could make the argument that, purely looking at a box score, that isn’t the worst shot distribution in the world. Of the 2pts, how many were long 2s? That’s the worst shot in basketball and you are statistically better to take a step back and shoot the 3pt shot. In the first half I saw a ton of good looks from 3, they just didn’t drop (Carrington should be told not to shoot it unless he at first goes hard to the rim and makes a layup and hits a free throw first). Also, the overwhelming height advantage we had goes both ways…yes we should’ve pounded it down their throats for layups (think Payne in the first half when he had a hell of a seal deep on the block)…but one could say shooters could’ve felt more confident when shooting treys that we would’ve most likely gotten the offensive rebounds.

Again, didn’t watch the second half because of apathy due to opponent.
this is the point. they were deep 3s on many attempts with minimal ball movement where the 3s in the first half were in transition/off penetration leading to rhythm shots. At the 10 minute mark of the second half, they had shot 10 3s and made 1 of them. In that same time frame they were 3/4 at the rim and had shot 3 free throws.

and on the second bold, if you're shooting thinking you may miss and need the offensive rebound, you aren't in a good place shooting the ball.

The issue I have is you work the offense against the opponent you have and allow your team to work on things out of that offense in real game time (ie entering the post, hitting a shooter stepping into an uncontested 3 out of it, getting Payne more work in the block) because they are things you will need to be able to do against top tier opponents. Launching 3s from 25 feet will be a shot you can get most nights but you're going to do a whole hell of a lot better shooting them in the rhythm of the offense than from a standstill.

Hawkins on Williams
In watching the highlights this morning, I see that some of the Williams makes were on some pretty deep 3's (looked like one was at least 30 feet out) with a fairly decent close-outs coming at him on some of the makes. When I saw on Live Stats that he was knocking down all those early 3's, I was wondering about the defensive match-up and if his scoring was a result of poor defense or he was just having one of those nights.

Seems that he cooled off a lot, or the Gophers got into him better in the second half. The range that some of these players have now as compared to 10 years ago is amazing. Stephan Curry effect?

This. It is unforgivable with this size advantage to not be more patient and take it inside. The competition level is so bad that it is making us play some sloppy ball.
I wish it was just the competition that made them sloppy.

In watching the highlights this morning, I see that some of the Williams makes were on some pretty deep 3's (looked like one was at least 30 feet out) with a fairly decent close-outs coming at him on some of the makes. When I saw on Live Stats that he was knocking down all those early 3's, I was wondering about the defensive match-up and if his scoring was a result of poor defense or he was just having one of those nights.

Seems that he cooled off a lot, or the Gophers got into him better in the second half. The range that some of these players have now as compared to 10 years ago is amazing. Stephan Curry effect?
He hit a couple so deep, literally his foot was close to the "M" on both of these.

this is the point. they were deep 3s on many attempts with minimal ball movement where the 3s in the first half were in transition/off penetration leading to rhythm shots. At the 10 minute mark of the second half, they had shot 10 3s and made 1 of them. In that same time frame they were 3/4 at the rim and had shot 3 free throws.

and on the second bold, if you're shooting thinking you may miss and need the offensive rebound, you aren't in a good place shooting the ball.

The issue I have is you work the offense against the opponent you have and allow your team to work on things out of that offense in real game time (ie entering the post, hitting a shooter stepping into an uncontested 3 out of it, getting Payne more work in the block) because they are things you will need to be able to do against top tier opponents. Launching 3s from 25 feet will be a shot you can get most nights but you're going to do a whole hell of a lot better shooting them in the rhythm of the offense than from a standstill.
Well the box score didn’t mention 25 footers…those are bad shots. But if in the flow of the offense, and in rhythm, I don’t hate the shot distribution.

Ihnen needs to start playing like he is 6'10. Another guy who I call a "FLOATER" He wants to do 2 things, shoot the 3 and try to block shots. He hasn't shot the ball well since the first game. I would start Fox ahead of him..send him a message.
Dude plays some of the best D out there and you want to sit him.

It is possible that Ben was trying some different things and did not care if APB closed the gap at times. I was not watching that closely.

Seems like a bit too much hand wringing to assume that Ben was desperately trying to win this game the whole time and he narrowly avoided another disaster. (that being said the Missouri Loss is still totally on you Ben)

It is possible that Ben was trying some different things and did not care if APB closed the gap at times. I was not watching that closely.

Seems like a bit too much hand wringing to assume that Ben was desperately trying to win this game the whole time and he narrowly avoided another disaster. (that being said the Missouri Loss is still totally on you Ben)
I would assume there is some trial and error right now with various rotations to figure out who works well together. AKB closed the gap some in the second half but the outcome never really seemed in doubt.

Top Bottom