***OFFICIAL 2024 GOPHERS FOOTBALL RECRUITING CLASS SIGNING DAY THREAD!!!***

I think the big thing about the portal is not how many guys you lost or added but what those players mean to your team. There will always be attrition.

If you lose a two year started at LB its far different than losing a walk-on who played 1 special team snap against Indiana State Penitentiary. If you add a starting QB its far different than losing your 7th WR. I think the losses do add up overtime (depth, development, continuity, etc) but the additions also add up overtime. Fleck has had some nice "hits" in the portal and I dont think many of the losses have been that substantial outside of Bucky. I'm sure I'm missing a couple others that would have been part of the 2-deep.

I think the big thing about the portal is not how many guys you lost or added but what those players mean to your team. There will always be attrition.

If you lose a two year started at LB its far different than losing a walk-on who played 1 special team snap against Indiana State Penitentiary. If you add a starting QB its far different than losing your 7th WR. I think the losses do add up overtime (depth, development, continuity, etc) but the additions also add up overtime. Fleck has had some nice "hits" in the portal and I dont think many of the losses have been that substantial outside of Bucky. I'm sure I'm missing a couple others that would have been part of the 2-deep.

The portal losses on defense last year definitely hurt. Maybe no single player had a huge impact, but the combined loss hurt defensive depth and effectiveness.

The portal losses on defense last year definitely hurt. Maybe no single player had a huge impact, but the combined loss hurt defensive depth and effectiveness.
Did we lose linebackers last year?

That was where it seemed to really hurt us later this year. Key injuries and after that it was a gaping hole back there.

Did we lose linebackers last year?

That was where it seemed to really hurt us later this year. Key injuries and after that it was a gaping hole back there.

Lost Oliver (29 tackles GA Tech) and Willis (40 tackles W. Mich.) and gained Selig (31 tackles Gophers) via portal. The more glaring loss in defensive depth was losing four all conference players this year in Booker, Trill, Bishop and Dixon.

Agreed. I just think its hard to blame all the portal and not be thankful for what we've gained. Not always going to be a win, but there has certainly been some bigger wins. Like Gibbens, some DL, etc. I'm not going to go through the lists both ways and compare but I do think its been a net positive the past few years. Even with a down year this year.

Agreed. I just think its hard to blame all the portal and not be thankful for what we've gained. Not always going to be a win, but there has certainly been some bigger wins. Like Gibbens, some DL, etc. I'm not going to go through the lists both ways and compare but I do think its been a net positive the past few years. Even with a down year this year.

Until this year on defense, I'd agree that it's seemed like a net positive (although it was tough to lose all the RBs in the past couple years).

Lost Oliver (29 tackles GA Tech) and Willis (40 tackles W. Mich.) and gained Selig (31 tackles Gophers) via portal. The more glaring loss in defensive depth was losing four all conference players this year in Booker, Trill, Bishop and Dixon.
While the least talented of the 6 players, I think losing Oliver and Willis hurt the defense the most. The linebacker unit was decimated by injuries.

In order to make the numbers work 100% we are encouraging a bunch of guys to hit the portal every year. It is the only way you can recruit 25 freshman each year and add 10 guys in the portal....we had 25 freshmen this summer...we ended up with 19 today.
We will add more from the portal. If numbers need to balance more will leave.
But, you are right Bucky is really our only loss that was impactful.
We have had a handful of guys who played and transferred but they were traded for with incoming experienced guys in the portal.

I like how 6 of the 19 recruits are from MN (7 if you count Kindred, ND which is almost a border town). I hope that this will add stability with all this portal madness and also might help the perception of MN HS football.

In contrast, I see that Fuke Lickell did an about face with the Fadgers recruiting where only 2 of 19 are from Wisconsin. It was only 1 of 15 last year.

I hope we have a lot of the MN instate talent pan out in the 2024 class as the 2025 class is looking downright dismal for the next year. PJ might may have to become even more efficient using the portal as he is going to need to go completely out of state for any higher-end HS talent in 2025. This what 247 has for MN in 2025:

1703105232772.png
This might be the least amount of talent I've seen heading into next year in a long time. This couldn't be worse timing for PJ in terms of instate talent. To contrast, Iowa has 11 recruits 3-Star or higher with 2 - 4-Star recruits already committed to the Hawks in 2025. I sometimes wonder how the talent base could be that much better when MN has nearly twice the population of Iowa.

In order to make the numbers work 100% we are encouraging a bunch of guys to hit the portal every year. It is the only way you can recruit 25 freshman each year and add 10 guys in the portal....we had 25 freshmen this summer...we ended up with 19 today.
We will add more from the portal. If numbers need to balance more will leave.
But, you are right Bucky is really our only loss that was impactful.
We have had a handful of guys who played and transferred but they were traded for with incoming experienced guys in the portal.

This is how I look at it as well. Bucky wasn’t replaced adequately (hard to do) but most of the others were. Fun conversation in the almost offseason at least.

I hope we have a lot of the MN instate talent pan out in the 2024 class as the 2025 class is looking downright dismal for the next year. PJ might may have to become even more efficient using the portal as he is going to need to go completely out of state for any higher-end HS talent in 2025. This what 247 has for MN in 2025:

View attachment 29082
This might be the least amount of talent I've seen heading into next year in a long time. This couldn't be worse timing for PJ in terms of instate talent. To contrast, Iowa has 11 recruits 3-Star or higher with 2 - 4-Star recruits already committed to the Hawks in 2025. I sometimes wonder how the talent base could be that much better when MN has nearly twice the population of Iowa.

When was this last updated? I think this summer evaluations can come fast and furious for that class. Though it may just be a down year.

View attachment 29082
The in-state rankings a year out are almost always unerscouted/unerrated. Perich was a low 3 star this time last year. Once the analysts start watching tape they always raise up. Tarawallie in particular already has some solid high major offers.

The in-state rankings a year out are almost always unerscouted/unerrated. Perich was a low 3 star this time last year. Once the analysts start watching tape they always raise up. Tarawallie in particular already has some solid high major offers.
When was Perich a low 3 star?

247 composite history has him at .8819 (highish 3 star) in April 23 then bumped to .9018 (assuming low 4) in July and steadily rising after that. 247 themselves started him at 86, which is mid 3.

I agree with your overall assessment that MN rankings will get updated this summer and become more accurate throughout the fall.

Saw a tweet that only 40% of 4 and 5 Star players will be on the same team within 2 years.

Saw a tweet that only 40% of 4 and 5 Star players will be on the same team within 2 years.

One area in which PJ has elevated recruiting is he gets 4-5-6 guys we’re all excited about. Several 4 stars or high 3s or holds off other big time offers. So you’re not relying on 1 guy to be great. More chances to strike gold with more (perceived) good players coming in.
M

there's a good chance that the 'Class of '24' is not final yet. there is still time to bring in more players from the portal. I would like to see some help at DL and LB, and maybe a WR.

as others have noted, somehow it always works out so that they hit the 85-scholarship limit when the season starts. adding a couple more decent players in the portal would make me feel a little better going into next season.

Big losses.

When was Perich a low 3 star?

247 composite history has him at .8819 (highish 3 star) in April 23 then bumped to .9018 (assuming low 4) in July and steadily rising after that. 247 themselves started him at 86, which is mid 3.

I agree with your overall assessment that MN rankings will get updated this summer and become more accurate throughout the fall.
You're right, more of a mid-3 than low 3, I misstated.

Great job by Fleck and team of securing MN guys while also touching elsewhere, looking forward to going into the 18 team league as underdogs, we seem to perform better that way under Fleck!

Kare 11 had a nice blurb about the Gophers today, little surprised to see that.

Top Bottom