***OFFICIAL 2024 GOPHERS FOOTBALL RECRUITING CLASS SIGNING DAY THREAD!!!***

Which ones you predicting?
It will be interesting to see how Red-Shirts are treated going forward with some of these kids. I believe 15 are enrolling in January.

Some that may see the field

Pass catching TE
Perich
One of the RB's
Sumram
Carrier

These are my guesses.

It will be interesting to see how Red-Shirts are treated going forward with some of these kids. I believe 15 are enrolling in January.

Pass catching TE
Perich
One of the RB's
Sumram
Carrier

These are my guesses.
It will be interesting overall how they're treated.

If you've got a guy who might be in demand do you wait to play them? So they can maybe transfer?

Then again the kid might have mixed feelings about being thrown to the wolves too.

That will hit some teams more than others.

honestly i see almost no reason to RS anyone other than some lineman who need time. With the portal, why save years you're going to lose anyway if guys aren't playing when they transfer out?
I think a kid (and family) could convince a coach "Yo we're going to still be here next year so it's cool to red-shirt." and a coach might feel more comfortable doing that.

Also high * picks are going to come to teams with preferences and demands, that might include red-shirting, so a coach might not want to force the issue...

But otherwise I agree.

It will be a mix for sure.

honestly i see almost no reason to RS anyone other than some lineman who need time. With the portal, why save years you're going to lose anyway if guys aren't playing when they transfer out?
Its a crap shoot. Going that route you will lose the depth players... Damned if you do... you know the rest.

Recruiting is the lifeblood of a college program and it’s been a wild ride!! Early commits, de-commits, Portal, NIL, guys leaving, guys staying, guys leaving again, coaches leaving, taking commits with them, and so much more!

Here’s hoping the 2024 class is Fleck’s best yet!

GET ‘ER DONE FLECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stan, if this class is in the same zip code as your OP, we are golden my friend.

Good job PJ and Co
It's a very good class on paper. Four 4-stars (although I don't view stars as doctrine) and a lot of guys with really high ceilings. Now it's just getting them developed and ready to play at a faster speed.

Love the speed guys for the defense. Curious with Rossi gone if they turn up the heat with a different scheme. Perich and Carrier could be a demolition crew.

Ethan Robinson

Koi Perich

Eddy Toussom

Max Brosmer

Samuel Madu

Julian Johnson
Didn't realize you were factoring in the Transfers and JC kid. Would absolutely expect to see those guys play early for the most part. True freshman are a different story since most true freshman, even the really highly rated ones, need time to adjust to the college game and often are not ready for a year or two to make an impact.

The biggest change right now is that there is no reason to project a roster out more than a year or two. Used to be you could kind of look ahead 3-4 years and have a decent idea who the key players were going to be.

With the explosion of the portal that is no longer the case. In regards to true freshman, if you truly believe they are ready and can help you there is really no reason not to play them. You lose out on that potential fifth year but with the way guys are moving around who knows if they would even be here then anyway so may as well get what you can out of them while you have them.

Agreed, we just received 19 one-year commitments. In this new portal world, we are re-recruiting the entire roster every year.
I agree, but only on out-of-state kids. To me, this is why it seems PJ put such a high emphasis on recruiting Minnesota kids this year. Earlier in the year, it seemed like he had commitments from just about everyone in the top 10 or so. I don't remember seeing that before. Some of those players have since been pulled away. I don't know the statistics, but a lot of the kids that go into the portal seem to transfer closer to home, especially if things aren't working out at their current school.

He also pulled kids from WI, IA and ND this year. We can still be a developmental program to some degree if we focus on recruiting a bit more locally.

Contrast this with Wisconsin. They seemed to get many more of the top players in their state in the past, but certainly not the last couple years. Is Fickle focusing more nationally? Does he think he can make them a leading national program and does he have the name recognition to do so? Will they lose more players to the transfer portal as a result? This year they have lost 11 to the portal while we have lost 8. It will be interesting to see if this trend continues and, if so, why?

Pass catching TE
Perich
One of the RB's
Sumram
Carrier

These are my guesses.
TE will be interesting. Staff was high on Geers coming into the year. Plus we have Jones from the 2022 class and Peters & Walsh from the 2023 classes.

Johnson & Simpson from this class are both guys that need to grow into the TE position.

but will be an interesting group to see who emerges from the group.

I think a kid (and family) could convince a coach "Yo we're going to still be here next year so it's cool to red-shirt." and a coach might feel more comfortable doing that.

Also high * picks are going to come to teams with preferences and demands, that might include red-shirting, so a coach might not want to force the issue...

But otherwise I agree.

It will be a mix for sure.
You play a true freshman if he's better than other options. You don't play him because he might transfer later.

TE will be interesting. Staff was high on Geers coming into the year. Plus we have Jones from the 2022 class and Peters & Walsh from the 2023 classes.

Johnson & Simpson from this class are both guys that need to grow into the TE position.

but will be an interesting group to see who emerges from the group.
Kallerup has one more season, no?

Here is why I LOVE this recruiting class....

Back in the day we used to get excited about 1 4 star kid and a bunch of lower three star and two star recruits that had a couple P5 offers.

"Yes, 25 new kids with all these offers".

BUT, that works in the "develop all your starters over 4 years" world we lived in. It did just good enough for us to be a 6-6 to 9-3 type team.

This year we have 6 to 7 really really really good players and then a pretty big drop off to some average 3 star develop over 3-4 type players.

Do this 2-3 years in a row and we will have a starting lineup of studs and a bench with developed talent is the stud at that position goes down.

Let the studs start as freshmen and sophomores. Get the experience. This gets them on field and away from the transfer portal.

I think we suck next year but if we can do this again in the next recruiting cycle, we walk into the 20025 season with 4 kids in the starting lineup that played in the biggest high school all star game this year as well as the best QB from a football state like Arkansas. Add in a few guys from the 2024 recruiting batch and the developed studs from 2022 and we just may have a top 20 team.

(I know, lots of ifs, ands, and buts, with wishes , hopes, and prayers, .... But at least there is light at the end of the tunnel when you can get 5-7 superstars in a recruiting class like we did this year.)

the linked article here is free to the public. It's long but interesting. Burns and two other people give their choices for best of the class in a number of categories, including HS players who have a chance to contribute early.

lot of talk about Perich, but also a lot of discussion about the OL recruits especially Roy and Carroll.

Burns also said that he does not think the Gophers are done in the portal. He sees them adding more players - with a DT/NG type being one of the top priorities.

having said that - in each category, they show choices from past classes. when you see some of the names, it's a reminder that recruiting is not an exact science. a lot of names that didn't pan out or left early. it's a little like baseball. everybody is going to strike out now and then. but given a choice, you'd rather be like Tony Gwynn as opposed to Joey Gallo.

Kallerup has one more season, no?
Yes! one more year from him as well. I was more responding to the pass catching TE front. Kallerup is going to be our run game mauler. and if he can provide any pass catching thats all gravy!

And #1 player in MN. Not bad to get #1 rated players in MN, WI, and ND. Plus AK player of year based on on-field performance.
Closing the 5 state borders! Have we ever gotten the Iowa #1?

Top Bottom