Official 2017 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

We do NOT need to abandon Georgia as recruiting territory. It would be a HUGE mistake! We would not have the wins in the last three seasons like we had if it wasn't for the Georgia boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think it's an either/or question. Nobody is arguing that if you're Minnesota you can ignore the South, but we could certainly do a much better job of recruiting the Midwest.

With the caveat that I'm no football expert, I was really impressed by Noah Carlson. I hope the new staff takes the time to watch the Prep Bowl.

With the caveat that I'm no football expert, I was really impressed by Noah Carlson. I hope the new staff takes the time to watch the Prep Bowl.
From what i have heard, Carlson is likely planning to stick with track. Getting interest from all over the country and likely full ride.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

From what i have heard, Carlson is likely planning to stick with track. Getting interest from all over the country and likely full ride.

Not a lot of full ride track scholarships. Now with financial aid it may be a full ride if the kid qualifies for grants and what not, but track aint like football...they don't get 85.

Hey, I grew up in SE MN, so I love to see small-school athletes like Carlson and King getting attention.

But, there's a reason why kids from small schools rarely wind up at the D1 level. Speed. Carlson is a really good athlete compared to most Class A programs. But compared to kids from FLA or TX, he's not elite (to steal a word from the new coach). My gut tells me Carlson is a FCS level player at best - possibly D2. And, unless I'm wrong, I think Owen King is a verbal commit to South Dakota State for Basketball. (BTW, Caledonia picked up a 6'5" center for hoops - son of the new school Principal - and they are loaded this year. Watch for them in State tournament.)

Hey, I grew up in SE MN, so I love to see small-school athletes like Carlson and King getting attention.

But, there's a reason why kids from small schools rarely wind up at the D1 level. Speed. Carlson is a really good athlete compared to most Class A programs. But compared to kids from FLA or TX, he's not elite (to steal a word from the new coach). My gut tells me Carlson is a FCS level player at best - possibly D2. And, unless I'm wrong, I think Owen King is a verbal commit to South Dakota State for Basketball. (BTW, Caledonia picked up a 6'5" center for hoops - son of the new school Principal - and they are loaded this year. Watch for them in State tournament.)

Your logic and reason will not be tolerated in this row boat.

Why hasn't there been a info or reports from Cleays committed players if they been in contact with PJ ?

Why hasn't there been a info or reports from Cleays committed players if they been in contact with PJ ?

Fleck said on the radio today he's contacted every Minnesota based recruit and is working on all the others. Only so much time in each day. WMU recruits to talk to, other people he offered but said no to WMU to talk to, uncommitted recruits to talk to and current commits. Plus he has to put together a staff and meet all the media requests. Crazy lot to do.

Not a lot of full ride track scholarships. Now with financial aid it may be a full ride if the kid qualifies for grants and what not, but track aint like football...they don't get 85.
I know some people close to carlson. Has been offered by ndsu & sdsu. Claeys offered him a walk on. but is likely to go the track route. He has visited some big time track programs across the US.
Your logic and reason will not be tolerated in this row boat.

I know some people close to carlson. Has been offered by ndsu & sdsu. Claeys offered him a walk on. but is likely to go the track route.
Is that because he would rather run track or because that's the sport that's giving him the bigger offers?

Is that because he would rather run track or because that's the sport that's giving him the bigger offers?
He wants to run track. But if he got umn offer he might stick with fb.

Fleck said on the radio today he's contacted every Minnesota based recruit and is working on all the others. Only so much time in each day. WMU recruits to talk to, other people he offered but said no to WMU to talk to, uncommitted recruits to talk to and current commits. Plus he has to put together a staff and meet all the media requests. Crazy lot to do.

...and go to a basketball game to make sure he is on TV!

He made is sound like current commits are on board, but I'm sure some will change.

Is it possible that the Gophers can still snatch one or two 4 Stars before NSD?

Trey Creamer get an Oklahoma offer?
Being an out of state kid, I wonder if Fleck has reached out to him yet? I hope so, they desperately need corners.
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Edit: Nevermind, just noticed the early post.
-----
Did Mohamed Ibrahim commit? 247 says so. It might have been posted elsewhere.

Edit: Nevermind, just noticed the early post.
-----
Did Mohamed Ibrahim commit? 247 says so. It might have been posted elsewhere.

Yes, earlier this afternoon.------oops, double never mind.

Nm

...and go to a basketball game to make sure he is on TV!

Oh yeah, shame on him for supporting men's and women's basketball and going to a coaches clinic. He should be solely hiding in his office.
Number one job is recruiting. You can argue how he goes about it, but being on TV and supporting Gopher sports programs probably would only be frowned upon by a select few.

Detroit News: Western Michigan losing recruits to P.J. Fleck, Minnesota

Eight players have decommitted from Western Michigan to join Minnesota since Fleck signed his five-year, $17.5-million deal Friday.

Those include three from the state of Michigan -- defensive end/tight end Nate Umlor of Allendale, offensive tackle Kyle Sassack of Pontiac Notre Dame Prep, and outside linebacker Trenton Guthrie of Northville. The others are receiver Chris Autman-Bell, quarterback Tanner Morgan, offensive guard John Schmitz, defensive tackle Noah Hickcox and defensive end Esezi Otomewo.

Guthrie called Fleck Friday night and decided to join him at Minnesota when Fleck offered him -- for a second time.

“I got a text from some of the assistant coaches, letting me know Coach Fleck was leaving before it became official,” Guthrie said. “(Fleck) explained the situation to me, offered me over the phone, then started talking about Gopher football and why it was a place he picked. I didn’t need to hear about the culture that he was starting at Minnesota because I knew the culture from being committed to Western Michigan.”

Guthrie committed to Fleck and the Gophers without having visited the Minneapolis campus.

“It is far from home, but I talked to my uncle and cousin, who do business in the Twin Cities a lot,” Guthrie said. “They told me about the Twin Cities and what it had to offer, about how the campus was and how the community supported the program, and that helped me with my decision.

“I plan to enroll early and I’ll get there the 17th.”

Guthrie said he will be roommates with Morgan, who is a three-star quarterback from Union, Kentucky. Morgan is ranked the No. 3 quarterback in Kentucky for 2017 by Scout.com.

“Tanner Morgan will be my roommate and I’m excited about that,” said Guthrie. “I’ve talked to some of the Minnesota recruits too, and they're all excited about Coach Fleck being a part of the program, and so am I.”

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...-losing-recruits-pj-fleck-minnesota/96316750/

Go Gophers!!

Being an out of state kid, I wonder if Fleck has reached out to him yet? I hope so, they desperately need corners.

Creamer is an important guy in our recruiting class and I hope we can hang onto him.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom