Official 2013 Gophers Football Signing Day Thread: Links, Tweets, Quotes, Analysis

When Wolitarsky signs we will have 18 Scholly commits. Any other anticipated signees? If not that leaves 3or 4 potential openings per Kill's recent comments.

19. Hopefully there is a surprise or two. I bet the GI guys had no clue about Campbell. It appears that Neiko Robinson is still out there and I think that the other LOI that they know i out there belongs to Henderson.

Penn State board says Neiko Robinson is just waiting to sign after school (what kind of priorities are that, I don't know). We may be done then, as the Keshawn situation is too weird for anyone to get a grasp on.

I loved Claeys statement during chat: "We trust our own eyes. When we do live evaluations, if we like a kid, we are going to offer him whether he has 0 stars or 5 stars. Stars have no role in our recruiting process." Already knew it, but loved to see him say it.

Wow, I wonder how many 5-Star recruits they turned down? :rolleyes:

It's 19. They aren't listing Hinojosa because they listed him last year, but he's a commit for this year.

Forgot about him. Depends on who you talk to where Hinojosa fits in. Even Claeys considers him as last years recruit. Either way we have a pretty solid class.

@gophergridiron: Michael Conway has accepted admittance to the U of MN! #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

Not a surprise. He visited there this weekend and got a late offer. I'd choose Tennessee over Syracuse to play football as well.

I just thought it was interesting that he switched his verbal commitment on signing day without signing. It now shows he signed a LOI to Tennessee.

wait!what?

any of us who played hockey snicker at the best athlete is the goalie comment.

No longer true. Back in the old days when I played you put the fat kid who couldn't skate back there. With today's hybrid butterfly/stand-up goaltending, movement is at a premium. As a coach who played d growing up, I can tell you there is no room for a weak athlete back there in the nets anymore. Love playing the teams that still think that way though- easy W most times. Top D6, D8 and D3 teams all emphasize the athletic 'tender. Check who is consistently successful in winning games. OK- back to the real topic at hand.

I like the way this class is shaping up. Campbell makes my day. Super fired up to see our giant kicker. I was not a Kill disciple initially, but he has kept earning my trust and belief over the past 12 months. Any other surprises up their sleeves?

“@RyanBurnsGI: #Minnesota has now signed 19 players with the addition of Calif. WR Drew Wolitarsky. We know of at least 1 more NLI out there so stay tuned.”

Dear Baylor fans,

I have traveled all over the country and Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area has more going for it than virtually anywhere else. For example, the first thing coming to mind would be money and there is plenty of money in this state. Standard of living is higher, better education network and don't for get the 19 Fortune 500 companies we also can't forget Davis Companies, Cargill etc. Diss us all you want but I wouldn't move anywhere else. pffft...

Ok, I am off my soap box. ha.

Stanford and Miami also have like 12 recruits.

Oh I know. Wasn't trying to say that our classes were better than all those schools. Just that just looking at the rankings (like some of the average fans and even some of the media do) can be deceiving if you don't actually look at it closely.

In terms of average star rating from Rivals, we're basically on par with Purdue, Iowa, Illinois. Six out of 12 B1G teams averaged <3 stars this year (Wisconsin, Northwestern, Iowa, Minnesota, Purdue, Illinois)

KFAN tweet: Limegrover: "What we try to accomplish with our signing class ... is to get pieces that are going to fit into our scheme." #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

Dear Baylor fans,

I have traveled all over the country and Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area has more going for it than virtually anywhere else. For example, the first thing coming to mind would be money and there is plenty of money in this state. Standard of living is higher, better education network and don't for get the 19 Fortune 500 companies we also can't forget Davis Companies, Cargill etc. Diss us all you want but I wouldn't move anywhere else. pffft...

Ok, I am off my soap box. ha.

Are you lost?

No longer true. Back in the old days when I played you put the fat kid who couldn't skate back there. With today's hybrid butterfly/stand-up goaltending, movement is at a premium. As a coach who played d growing up, I can tell you there is no room for a weak athlete back there in the nets anymore. Love playing the teams that still think that way though- easy W most times. Top D6, D8 and D3 teams all emphasize the athletic 'tender. Check who is consistently successful in winning games. OK- back to the real topic at hand.

I like the way this class is shaping up. Campbell makes my day. Super fired up to see our giant kicker. I was not a Kill disciple initially, but he has kept earning my trust and belief over the past 12 months. Any other surprises up their sleeves?

You have to a be a great athlete in goal because the forwards today are far superior to yesteryear. The days of every game being 1-0 are vanishing. ;)

That isn't what he said. He said if they like someone, they will offer him regardless of stars.

Lighten-up Francis.

" When we do live evaluations, if we like a kid, we are going to offer him whether he has 0 stars or 5 stars." That's a little self-serving. They never get the chance to evaluate 5-Star kids. They've probably never have had a 5-Star kid on an official, probably even unofficial visit.

Much to Claeys credit he just said as much on KSTP. Put Zulgad in his place too, bless him. He also addressed:

- Because of where they've coached they don't see those kids. That means they've gotten use to looking for other things i.e. his parents, how he looks in practice not just on film, his frame, how many meals the kid's been getting to figure out where he might end-up "size-wise" etc.

- Minnesota had a down year for talent. It happens. Talent levels go up and down on a yearly basis. Even Florida has a down year once and awhile. It's just that they still have a LOT of talent.

- The importance of getting highly recruited instate kids. You're not going to get major talent to leave their home state if it has one or more BCS schools, very often so you need to get the Home kids when you can. This was just a bad year for that kind of talent here in Minnesota.

Saw this posted somewhere else. The Big 12 has not signed a single 5-star recruit this year according to rivals.

USC also has five 5-star commits, seven 4-star commits, and a 4.42 star average. Next closest is ND with a 3.87 star average. Crazy quality.

They also have five 5 stars no one else has more than 3.

So? Your argument was that Stanford and Miami only had "like 12" recruits and were ranked below us. USC has exactly 12 listed by Rivals and ranks in the top 10.

247sports has Tedric as committed to Colorado and Henderson committed to Old Dominion.

Top Bottom