Official 2013 Gophers Football Signing Day Thread: Links, Tweets, Quotes, Analysis

@gophergridiron: Welcome DE Demaris Peppers to the #Gophers family! Ski-U-Mah!

Go Gophers!!

I get that, but looking at his territory, I'm willing to bet he accumulated more airline miles than any other coach.
Probably, yes. Sawvell gets paid more than the other assistants (except for Miller who is also assistant head coach). I'm sure his recruiting prowess plays into that.

In today's soccer, the goalkeeper generally has to be one of the best athletes on the team. Gone are the days when the "big slow kid" plays goalie. They're also usually one of the smarter kids. Time will tell, but I can't imagine this kid is a slouch as an athlete.

Whoa...slow down. Way too much soccer talk here.

I think Sawvell is generally considered the "top recruiter" on the staff.

Damn! Wasted my 500th post mentoning soccer!

any of us who played hockey snicker at the best athlete is the goalie comment.

don't know if this was mentioned. but reggie spearman picked iowa.

Demaris Peppers - DT | 6-3 | 270 | Memphis, Tenn. | Fairley HS

Earned a three-star rating from ESPN, Rivals.com and 247Sports.com
Received a two-star rating from Scout.com
Ranked as the No. 34 overall prospect in Tennessee as well as the No. 115 defensive tackle prospect in the nation by ESPN
Listed as the No. 118 defensive tackle in the nation by Scout.com
Rated as the No. 23 overall prospect in Tennessee by Rivals.com.
Made 57 total tackles as a senior and led Fairley with 11 sacks and 17 tackles for a loss
Also caused one fumble, blocked one punt and recorded a safety as a senior
Fairley went 6-5 in 2012 including a 3-2 mark in district play
Participated in the 2012 Toyota Tennessee East-West All-Star Game
Coached by Rahnmann Slocum

Go Gophers!!

Drama queen, I'm sure they had fun watching a 3 star juggle hats. He was expected to go to Iowa for months.

ya i thought the same. just thought it was kind of fun to see that he sat there and jerked people's chains and ended up where everyone said he would.

Damn! Wasted my 500th post mentoning soccer!

And now you are going to have to live with that for the rest of your life....there is no going back...well actually you could go back and edit it to remove soccer but we would all know the truth...although most of us would forget in like 5 minutes....so yeah never mind.

Wasn't trying to knock Santoso as an athlete just saying I would not expect him to be overly physical as well. Not that any of that matters as he is being recruited to kick so none of that other stuff matters as long as he can get it through the uprights and get his kickoffs into the endzone.

When Wolitarsky signs we will have 18 Scholly commits. Any other anticipated signees? If not that leaves 3or 4 potential openings per Kill's recent comments.

RT @gophergridiron: Welcome WR Drew Wolitarsky to the #Gophers Football Family!

Go Gophers!!

I loved Claeys statement during chat: "We trust our own eyes. When we do live evaluations, if we like a kid, we are going to offer him whether he has 0 stars or 5 stars. Stars have no role in our recruiting process." Already knew it, but loved to see him say it.

When Wolitarsky signs we will have 18 Scholly commits. Any other anticipated signees? If not that leaves 3or 4 potential openings per Kill's recent comments.

There are always guys that don't sign on signing day for one reason or another. I am sure the staff will hang on to a scholarship or 2 for those guys.

I could be wrong but didn't Jerry Kill say he was hoping to sign 20-21 players in this recruiting class. I was figuring walk ons were not being counted in that numbers. If that is the case maybe we have a couple we are waiting on at this time.

I think Keshawn Henderson is the only other guy that might sign. That would put us at 20.

Drew Wolitarsky - WR | 6-3 | 208 | Santa Clarita, Calif. | Canyon County HS

Scout.com and Rivals.com both list him as a three-star recruit
Scout ranks him as the 97th best wide receiver in the nation, while Rivals tabs him as the 90th best player in California
Ranked by ESPN as the 180th best prospect in California
Invited to the West Coast Bowl – featuring the top high school seniors from California, Nevada, Idaho, New Mexico and Colorado
California’s all-time record holder in career catches (281) and career yardage (5,148) surpassing current St. Louis Rams receiver Steve Smith
Second in state history with 52 career touchdown receptions
Led Cowboys to an 8-3-1 record as a senior and was named Second-Team All-State
Registered 100 or more yards in eight of 12 games and caught 14 touchdown passes
Made 75 catches as a junior for 1,628 yards and 19 touchdowns
Had 77 catches for 1,472 yards and 13 touchdowns as a sophomore and 40 catches for 773 yards and six touchdowns as a freshman
Coached by Richard Gutierrez

Go Gophers!!

I could be wrong but didn't Jerry Kill say he was hoping to sign 20-21 players in this recruiting class. I was figuring walk ons were not being counted in that numbers. If that is the case maybe we have a couple we are waiting on at this time.
Maybe, but he may have been optimistically adding guys like Tedric in as well. I'm waiting to hear on Neiko Robinson and Keshawn Henderson, but I'm not sure who else there would be.

Not that it really matters, but if we were to get two more 5.6 three star recruits, we would move from 12th to 9th in the rivals conference rankings. I don't think there's that much difference in #8-12 right now.

I'm assuming that is it for today. Only surprise today was a positive one so that's good.

Not that it really matters, but if we were to get two more 5.6 three star recruits, we would move from 12th to 9th in the rivals conference rankings. I don't think there's that much difference in #8-12 right now.

I'm assuming that is it for today. Only surprise today was a positive one so that's good.

the difference between 12th and 4th is 263 points. The difference between 3rd and 12th is 676 points. So after OSU, Mich, and Nebraska the classes are really close.

I think it is only 18. Borchardt is listed on Gophersports as an apparent scholly recipient, but I believe he is actually a PWO.
It's 19. They aren't listing Hinojosa because they listed him last year, but he's a commit for this year.

Top Bottom