Official 2013 Gophers Football Signing Day Thread: Links, Tweets, Quotes, Analysis

Yes - our 2013 starting kicker!!!!

I would think at this time Hawthorne has the leg up (pun intended) but we'll see. I'm assuming Santoso has a big leg, so at the very least he could be our kickoff guy.

Imagine him blocking for the holder on a fake FG. Mike Grim "It's a fake !!! Santoso plows the field and takes out two Badgers as Eldred sprints into the endzone!"

Dude is 6'5" 260 + and a kicker. Not to stereotype but with that kind of size if he had the ability to plow the field I don't think he would still be a kicker. Not saying he can't be a tough guy and a kicker but being that big I would think a coach would have converted him to some other position if he had the ability and desire. No matter what though welcome on board, hopefully he is a good one for us because kicker is another weak spot on the roster.

Nate Andrews just signed with FSU per seminoles.com

Peppers LOI is in (according to GI), just waiting on Wipson and Wolitarsky now.

Arnold has already signed his LOI.

Nate Godwin has not, however.

Yeah actually edited my post it changed as I refreshed. USF's Rivals page is showing an article that Godwin has signed even though his profile doesn't? the title is "Freedom DB is a Bull"

On Gophersports.com:

Someone asked Claeys:

What's your favorite and least favorite part about the recruiting game that you play every year?

His response:

My favorite part is getting to meet kids and their families each year. The least favorite is all the rumors and comments that get posted on recruiting sites. And because of NCAA rules we are not allowed to correct or comment on.

I chuckled when I read the least favorite part.

Dude is 6'5" 260 + and a kicker. Not to stereotype but with that kind of size if he had the ability to plow the field I don't think he would still be a kicker. Not saying he can't be a tough guy and a kicker but being that big I would think a coach would have converted him to some other position if he had the ability and desire. No matter what though welcome on board, hopefully he is a good one for us because kicker is another weak spot on the roster.

He was a soccer player for most of his HS career and was invited to try kicking for the FB team. So with that as a backdrop, I don't think he's a potted plant.

Yeah actually edited my post it changed as I refreshed. USF's Rivals page is showing an article that Godwin has signed even though his profile doesn't? the title is "Freedom DB is a Bull"
I checked USF's page. He's signed.

Nate Andrews just signed with FSU per seminoles.com

Stinks...I was hoping he would still come here. Do you think he flips to FSU if he doesn't visit on the same day as Marquez White? Something that crossed my mind...

Neiko Robinson is still out. Malik Brown is still out (though if anything I think he's going to Tennessee). Wolitarsky is still out for us (Peppers apparently in), and who knows about Keshawn Henderson.

Stinks...I was hoping he would still come here. Do you think he flips to FSU if he doesn't visit on the same day as Marquez White? Something that crossed my mind...
He's from Southern Alabama and he got a Florida State offer. I love my Gophers, but I think he flips no matter what.

@GopherGridiron: Welcome LB Chris Wipson to the #Gophers Family! Ski-U-Mah!

Go Gophers!!

He's from Southern Alabama and he got a Florida State offer. I love my Gophers, but I think he flips no matter what.

Probably right...just found White's, "got my boy Nate" tweet interesting after he switched. Sounds like they hit it off...if that's the case it didn't help our cause.

He was a soccer player for most of his HS career and was invited to try kicking for the FB team. So with that as a backdrop, I don't think he's a potted plant.

He was a goalie. So not a potted plant, but not a midfielder roaming the field either.

Ryan Santoso - K | 6-5 | 260 | Pace, Fla. | Pace HS

Rivals lists him as a two-star recruit and the 15th best kicker in the nation
ESPN ranks him as the seventh best kicker in the nation and the 129th best player in Florida
Won the National Scholarship Camp's kick off competition by beating out more than 400 competitors
Also beat out Harrison Butker in the final round sudden death field goal contest for the
last spot in the Under Armour All-American game
Connected on 14 of 17 field goals with his longest being 42 yards
Was 29-for- 29 in point-after attempts
Rushed for 1,130 yards on 199 carries with 18 touchdowns in 2011
Scored 71 points
Averaged 39.26 yards on 35 punts4
Coached by Mickey Lindsey.

Go Gophers!!

Awesome, was waiting for that one. Kid should be fun if nothing else. I remember seeing his play for Pace on ESPN a few years ago. Stood out because of his size and big kicks. Forgot about him until I realized he was a Gopher recruit this a.m. Assume he still has a big leg???

Claeys just said they pretty much kept Campbell's verbal under wraps in the hopes that no one else would recruit him real hard. "I think you underestimate the sneakiness sir...."

“@GophersNow: #Gophers special teams coach Jay Sawvel said 6-5, 270 kicker Ryan Santoso has only been kicking for two yrs and doesn't turn 18 until Aug.”

@gophergridiron: Jeff Borchardt has accepted admittance to the U of MN! #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

Chris Wipson - LB | 6-2 | 210 | Plymouth, Minn. | Wayzata HS

Rivals.com lists him as a two-star recruit and as the sixth best prospect in Minnesota
Scout.com tabs him as a three-star recruit and as the 97th best player at his position
ESPN ranks him as the 130th best outside linebacker in the nation and the fifth best prospect
in Minnesota.
Helped lead the Trojans to a 10-2-0 record as a senior, but missed time due to injury
Tallied 57 tackles (25 solo), six tackles-for-loss, one sack and three forced fumbles
named First-Team All-State
Recorded 82 tackles (52 solo) in 13 games as a junior
Named All-Conference and All-State Honorable Mention in 2011
Registered 18 tackles, four sacks, two interceptions and four forced fumbles
Played in nine games as a sophomore and made 35 tackles (22 solo) with one forced fumble and four tackles-for-loss
Coached by Brad Anderson

Go Gophers!!

I think he covered a lot of the west coast, and the gulf area.
Every position coach has a recruiting area. That's his.

Bill Miller- Florida and JUCOs
Pat Poore- Texas
Rob Reeves- Florida
Sawvell- Gulf Coast + starting to do a bit more in Cali
Zebrowski- Midwest + Carolinas
Brian Anderson- Ohio + Missouri + TN + Georgia

Every position coach has a recruiting area. That's his.

Bill Miller- Florida and JUCOs
Pat Poore- Texas
Rob Reeves- Florida
Sawvell- Gulf Coast + starting to do a bit more in Cali
Zebrowski- Midwest + Carolinas
Brian Anderson- Ohio + Missouri + TN + Georgia

I get that, but looking at his territory, I'm willing to bet he accumulated more airline miles than any other coach.

He was a goalie. So not a potted plant, but not a midfielder roaming the field either.

In today's soccer, the goalkeeper generally has to be one of the best athletes on the team. Gone are the days when the "big slow kid" plays goalie. They're also usually one of the smarter kids. Time will tell, but I can't imagine this kid is a slouch as an athlete.

Top Bottom