Official 2013 Class Recruiting Updates Thread

I think it will come down to us and wvu for Dixon. Purdue has a new HC and Dixon's HS teammate, Kyle Shortridge, switched his verbal from Purdue to Louisville. Doesn't hurt that both WVU and Purdue had really poor showings in their bowl games either. Dixon visited Louisville, but I don't think they offered him.

As will Jalen Coleman (LB), and Kareem Hunt (RB). Raphael Webb (RB) will visit on the 25th.

As will Jalen Coleman (LB), and Kareem Hunt (RB). Raphael Webb (RB) will visit on the 25th.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHL3uDYIJKM

Here is Webb, good speed and really runs hard for his size, breaks a ton of arm tackles and surges forward and finishes runs strong. Looks like he'd be a solid pickup, pretty nice offer list with multiple AQ offers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUU5w4i9BY0

Here is Hunt, hard to tell but he looks a touch less agile and fast as Webb, but looks more stout. I'm guessing Webb plays against better competition being from Gainesville, FL as opposed to Willoughby, OH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeTomeMJC98

Here is Jalen Coleman, rivals lists him at 6'2" 215 this video lists him at 6'0" 235. I think he looks closer to 6'0" 215. Currently is a UAB commit.

I saw an inteview of Hunt's coach from late October (was a news broadcast about Hunt's candidacy for Mr. Football in Ohio). If I understood correctly, he had already exceeded his previous year's rushing yardage of 2200 yards for the year with additional games to play, and was averaging over 11 yards a carry.

I too assume Willoughby must be a smaller school. He reminds me of Kirkwood, but that's not bad.

I'm originally from the Cleveland area and have a few friends that are from Willoughby. Willoughby South is not a small school; in fact it's DI, which is big-time football in Ohio. They do play in a relatively mediocre conference though, as most of the top DI schools in Ohio are private. Case in point, Willoughby was 10-0 this year in the regular season, and then lost their first playoff game and were eliminated.

Given Hunt's productivity, I'm not sure why the lack of bigger offers, but I know that Ohio State fans were at least talking about him as a fallback guy (which obviously wasn't necessary this year).

It'll be tough to get him away from Pittsburgh. I know the staff has been after him something fierce this year, and getting a commit from Laster couldn't hurt, but Pittsburgh and West Virginia are very respectable offers for Cleveland-area kids who don't get attention from Ohio State/Michigan.

Edit: Gopherhole did you tweet this after my post? I want a cut of the $0! :)

I'm originally from the Cleveland area and have a few friends that are from Willoughby. Willoughby South is not a small school; in fact it's DI, which is big-time football in Ohio. They do play in a relatively mediocre conference though, as most of the top DI schools in Ohio are private. Case in point, Willoughby was 10-0 this year in the regular season, and then lost their first playoff game and were eliminated.

Given Hunt's productivity, I'm not sure why the lack of bigger offers, but I know that Ohio State fans were at least talking about him as a fallback guy (which obviously wasn't necessary this year).

It'll be tough to get him away from Pittsburgh. I know the staff has been after him something fierce this year, and getting a commit from Laster couldn't hurt, but Pittsburgh and West Virginia are very respectable offers for Cleveland-area kids who don't get attention from Ohio State/Michigan.

Edit: Gopherhole did you tweet this after my post? I want a cut of the $0! :)

Sweet! I thought Hunt's Junior year film was more impressive than Webb's, but different style backs. I particularly liked the mud-bowl game against the orange and white team - looked like he had at least three TDs, a ton of yards, and there was a HUGE crowd there, so it must have been a pretty big game (wasn't sure if the crowd was reflective of the importance of the game or the size of the schools in it). Not sure if having the last visit is a good thing or not, but happy that we have him coming.

It looks like the Gopher staff has done another outstanding job of recruiting. I spent some time looking over some film on these kids and they are all very impressive.

After reading this Blog post on ESPN B1G Ten blog, I do not feel overly worried about recruiting. With the exception of Michigan's/Ohio State's classes of course.

Big Ten recruiting scorecard
January, 4, 2013 Jan 49:00AM ETBy Brian Bennett | ESPN.com

Now that bowls are over, the next big date on the college football calendar is signing day.

With that in mind, it's time to take a look at where each Big Ten team stands in its recruiting efforts with less than five weeks to go before high school prospects can sign their official letters of intent.

Illinois

Current commitments: 26
Spotlight: The Illini need all the skill position talent they can find, and junior college Martize Barr seems to fit that bill. The 6-foot wide receiver is one of five juco transfers who have already signed with Illinois as Tim Beckman looks to plug roster holes. He started his career at New Mexico before transferring to Iowa Western, which won the juco national title.
ESPN 150 commitments: 0
ESPN 300 commitments: 0

Indiana

Current commitments: 19
Spotlight: Kevin Wilson and his staff have gotten some nice pickups on the recruiting trail and maybe none better than ESPN 150 prospect Rashard Fant. The 5-10, 165-pound athlete committed before ever stepping foot in Bloomington. He projects as a defensive back but has been told he could possibly play at least some snaps on offense.
ESPN 150 commitments: 1
ESPN 300 commitments: 2

Iowa

Current commitments: 18
Spotlight: This season showed that the Hawkeyes need some more playmaking ability at the receiver positions. They could get some immediate help there from junior-college transfer Damond Powell. He's only 5-foot-11 and didn't have a ton of high-profile offers, but he reportedly runs a 4.4 40 and averaged 30 yards per catch last season. Iowa could use both those things.

Michigan

Current commitments: 24
Spotlight: David Dawson -- the nation's No. 1 offensive guard, according to ESPN.com -- violated Brady Hoke's no-visit rule for Michigan commits when he took a trip to Florida earlier this fall. But the Wolverines didn't give up on him, and Dawson re-committed last month. He's one of three players from Detroit's Cass Tech who have given their pledge to play in Ann Arbor.
ESPN 150 commitments: 10
ESPN 300 commitments: 14

Michigan State

Current commitments: 15
Spotlight: Quarterback Damion Terry is ranked as the No. 13 dual threat signal caller in the country and could give the Spartans' offense a different look in the future. He led his team to a Class AAA Pennsylvania state title, along with fellow Michigan State commit Delton Williams.

Minnesota

Current commitments: 14
Spotlight: It's no secret that the Gophers could use some help at the skill positions, and maybe receiver Nate Andrews can offer some assistance. The Fairhope, Ala., prospect is sticking by his commitment to Jerry Kill despite some late offers from Tennessee and Alabama, two schools that Minnesota doesn't often beat out for players from down South.

Nebraska

Current commitments: 17
Spotlight: The Huskers did more than just play in the Capital One Bowl while in Orlando. They also picked up a wide receiver from Mickey Mouse country in Dominic Walker, who is their highest-ranked high school recruit, according to ESPN.com rankings. Walker is 6-foot-2 and 194 pounds and was also recruited by Florida, Georgia and Florida State, among many others.
ESPN 300 commitments: 3

Northwestern

Current commitments: 20
Spotlight: Four-star athlete Godwin Igwebuike is a headline writer's nightmare but someone who could be in the news a lot. He played running back in high school and could move to safety for the Wildcats. He was heavily pursued by Nebraska, Wisconsin and many others.
ESPN 300 commitments: 1

Ohio State

Current commitments: 19
Spotlight: Eli Apple, who is ESPN.com's No. 3 ranked safety and No. 6 overall prospect, was known as Eli Woodard when he originally committed to the Buckeyes. He announced he had changed his name last month to honor his stepfather, who has helped raise him since he was 2. Ohio State is pursuing another top safety in Georgia prospect Vonn Bell.
ESPN 150 commitments: 8
ESPN 300 commitments: 13

Penn State

Spotlight: Tyler Ferguson, a 6-foot-4, 200-pound junior college transfer, gives the Nittany Lions some much-needed depth at the quarterback position. The pocket passer can help push Steven Bench and possibly provide a bridge to the future should Penn State decide to redshirt top quarterback prospect Christian Hackenberg.
ESPN 150 commitments: 2
ESPN 300 commitments: 3

Purdue

Current commitments: 13
Spotlight: Purdue's running back depth chart was thin this year, so Keyante Green's commitment this summer was important. Green originally was a UCLA pledge, but the Georgia native apparently wanted some earlier playing time. New coach Darrell Hazell knows how to use running backs; Kent State had two 1,000-yard rushers this season.

Wisconsin

Spotlight: New Jersey running back Corey Clement (No. 169) is ranked just outside the ESPN 150 and is the No. 17 rated running back in the class. He also had offers from Nebraska and Notre Dame. Clement has already said he wants to break Montee Ball's records someday.
ESPN 300 commitments: 1

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/68839/big-ten-recruiting-scorecard-7

The guys I hope we are able to keep more than any others are Andrews, Carter (seems diehard Gophs), Edwards, Laster, Mayes, and Streveler. I worry about Andrews for obvious reasons (big-time offers), and Edwards and Laster, mostly because we hear nothing from either of them.

At the end of the day, we'll be fine regardless, but Andrews is the guy I think represents the type of athlete we've historically gotten maybe only once every couple years or so. Him going somewhere else now would sting a little.

The guys I hope we are able to keep more than any others are Andrews, Carter (seems diehard Gophs), Edwards, Laster, Mayes, and Streveler. I worry about Andrews for obvious reasons (big-time offers), and Edwards and Laster, mostly because we hear nothing from either of them.

At the end of the day, we'll be fine regardless, but Andrews is the guy I think represents the type of athlete we've historically gotten maybe only once every couple years or so. Him going somewhere else now would sting a little.

What in the HELL is Indiana doing illegally to get all of these top end recruits. I know their not picking the Hoosiers because of the history because there is none!

I don't have a lot of faith that Edwards will be a Gopher.

Is this the new math I've heard about? Ohio State has 21 top 150/300 players committed but only 19 commitments?

Oh, and the rich get richer.

Why wouldn't he be a gopher? Doesn't seem like anyone else wants him to be frank.

That is why I don't feel very secure in his commitment. I believe that he gets any other offers, he will look pretty seriously at them. :shrug:

Is this the new math I've heard about? Ohio State has 21 top 150/300 players committed but only 19 commitments?

Oh, and the rich get richer.

Usually if someone is in the top 150, they are also included in the top 300. :)

Usually if someone is in the top 150, they are also included in the top 300. :)

You missed a golden opportunity there to promote the idea that the recruiting sites are out to get us. So much so in fact that they are willing to give Ohio State credit for recruits that don't exist. :cool:

Kinda the similar to a recruit picking MN over Tennessee or Alabama....curious...haha

Kinda the similar to a recruit picking MN over Tennessee or Alabama....curious...haha

I believe Andrews Alabama "offer" was a preferred walk-on. So that one I can understand more.

I believe Andrews Alabama "offer" was a preferred walk-on. So that one I can understand more.
Is his offer for a PWO? Or are you thinking of Duke Riley and LSU?

I never heard that. I believe you're thinking of Duke Riley getting a greyshirt from LSU.

Can we stop pulling the poor grades card every time a recruit picks a mid major team over AQ schools?

Top Bottom