Odds that Oturu will be a Junior next year

Chances Oturu will return for Junior Season are:

• 100% He is a Loyal Gopher!

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • 75-99% He likes being the Baddest Big in the B1G!

Votes: 12 7.1%
  • 50-74% At this rate he has to be looking. But he needs more development.

Votes: 48 28.4%
  • 25-49% There is a slight chance he returns.

Votes: 45 26.6%
  • 1-24% It all depends on where he is forecasted to be drafted.

Votes: 31 18.3%
  • 0% He is gone and will be a first rounder.

Votes: 25 14.8%

• Total voters

I really like Oturu. Having said that, I think he needs to improve his scoring ability when on the block with his back to the basket. When guarded tough down low, too many times he doesn't get a good shot off. Last night he spun quick and knocked one down off the glass, and that was the best I've seen from him. Loved it, but he doesn't show it enough in my opinion. I think he can, and will, get a lot better. I really think he needs another year. I hope we get that year as fans.

Last edited:

I really like Oturu. Having said that, I think he needs to improve his scoring ability when on the block with his back to the basket. When guarded tough down low, too many times he doesn't get a good shot off. Last night he spun quick and knocked one down off the glass, and that was the best I've seen from him. Loved it, but he doesn't show it enough in my opinion. I think he can, and will, get a lot better. I really think he needs another year. I hope we get that year as fans.
I hope so too. Agreed that he would be unstoppable if he had a little more game in the 6 foot range where he just rises up and drops in a turnaround jumper from the baseline. If he comes back next year, he may just be the best player in the country if he continues to improve at this pace.

Going to have to disagree. When on the block with his back to the basket, it is basically a guaranteed bucket and/or foul. We haven't played anyone who can stop him 1 on 1. It's when he gets doubled that he struggles. He needs to do a better job of anticipating double teams and passing out of them when they happen.

For what it's worth, ESPNs Jonathan Givony is one of the most respected guys in terms of the draft and he has Oturu at 74 overall. I think it's more likely than not he returns. Kid clearly loves the U and despite one mock draft, is not going to be a top 10 pick this year. Next year he could have a special year!

per Shooter:

Between Cretin-Derham Hall and St. Anthony Village, Mark Gautschi spent 38 years as a successful head and assistant boys basketball coach. As an assistant at Cretin-Derham Hall, he coached Daniel Oturu through his freshman and senior seasons.

“Of all the kids I’ve coached, he’s the only one who I thought could get to the NBA,” Gautschi said Friday. “I have no doubt he’ll make it.”

Oturu, 6-10, 240 pounds, is averaging 19 points and 12 rebounds as a sophomore for the Gophers. Some NBA mock drafts project him as a first-round pick in June.

First-round NBA draft picks this year will be guaranteed at least $3.3 million over two years.

“I wish he would stay at the ‘U’ for another year, but if someone drafts him in the first round, that’s a heck of a lot of money — that’s tough to give up,” Gautschi said. “He really likes the U, and he wanted to be there to turn that program around. So I wouldn’t be totally surprised if he gave up (the NBA) and went (to school) another year.

“But then you look at the money and go ‘I don’t know how he could.’ So it’s a tough one.”

Go Gophers!!

I don't think the Gophers have enough talent/experience to make the NCAA this year but next year would be a very interesting team to watch if DO wants to give it one last crack. They could win conference.

No doubt Oturu is good. He’ll play in the NBA. He blocks shots but he can’t seem to defend anyone. He works hard. He could certainly improve his skills by staying.
He’s #19 in NBA Draft dot net. He moved up 8 spots. If he rises again to the bottom of the lottery by seasons end, he’s almost gotta go.

Clearly, our best player, best NBA draft prospect in some time.

If I wasn't sold on Oturu going pro after this year, i might be after today's game - but not for the reason you might think. Whatever is wrong with his shoulder (it's not nothing, he has a past with it), seems to either still be bothering him, or to have resurfaced. There's been at least a couple times recently when the game's been paused while he deals with pain from that area. With this development, if that's gonna continue to be a thing for him - he may want to get into the league sooner than later, before it becomes a more visible issue and potentially hurts his draft stock.

If I wasn't sold on Oturu going pro after this year, i might be after today's game - but not for the reason you might think. Whatever is wrong with his shoulder (it's not nothing, he has a past with it), seems to either still be bothering him, or to have resurfaced. There's been at least a couple times recently when the game's been paused while he deals with pain from that area. With this development, if that's gonna continue to be a thing for him - he may want to get into the league sooner than later, before it becomes a more visible issue and potentially hurts his draft stock.

Oturu had surgery on one of his shoulders a couple years ago for some laxity issues if I remember correctly. I think the bigger concern for elite college players is the very real risk of an ACL-type injury derailing an entire year.

After several minutes of the Cleveland State game at the beginning of the season, I said to my season ticket group that Oturu's going to be all-conference the way he's playing. It's amazing how far he's come since then, even, improving during the course of the season and playing better against the best competition. I really don't know if I've ever seen anything like it.

Daniel was on the cover of the Game day program for the Michigan game. Nice interview with him on the inside. The kid is humble and he has a strong faith.

man we gotta enjoy this guy while he is still wearing Maroon and Gold! what a fricken treat

Going to have to disagree. When on the block with his back to the basket, it is basically a guaranteed bucket and/or foul. We haven't played anyone who can stop him 1 on 1. It's when he gets doubled that he struggles. He needs to do a better job of anticipating double teams and passing out of them when they happen.

100%. He has been unstoppable 1 on 1, he can spin either direction, he can power through, he can blow by, he can hit the 15ft and the 3. I would be shocked if any team plays him likeMichigan did again this year, that is a recipe for disaster. He is one of the most complete skill wise post players I have seen as a soph. If he masters the double and keeps adding strength, scary.

I must admit, I'd now put the odds at 0% he's back next season. Teske is a dang good (and tall) post player, and Oturu just toyed with him yesterday. Didn't matter whether it was away from the basket or close to the basket.

Going to enjoy the heck out of watching Oturu the rest of the season, because this is it. Heck of a talent!

I must admit, I'd now put the odds at 0% he's back next season. Teske is a dang good (and tall) post player, and Oturu just toyed with him yesterday. Didn't matter whether it was away from the basket or close to the basket.

Going to enjoy the heck out of watching Oturu the rest of the season, because this is it. Heck of a talent!

I too will enjoy watching him the rest of the season. I'd say the chances are low he comes back, but greater than 0%.

If Daniel has a "guarantee" from a team drafting in the Top 20 of the 2020 NBA Draft, he needs to move on. Selfishly, I want him back again for obvious reasons but that is life-changing guaranteed money that can't be ignored. What a season this kid is having!!!!

Seems like every game the chance of him NOT entering the draft is getting closer to zero.

Seems like every game the chance of him NOT entering the draft is getting closer to zero.
agreed. he seems to have had something click the last several games and is now appearing dominant, which he hadn't shown to this degree prior

By no means do I want to take away from his performance yesterday (he was AMAZING) but to the above point that "Teske is a darn good post player" That is 100% not accurate. This year in the B1G, Michigan has allowed Oturu 30 Garza 44, Tillman 20/11 Cockburn 19/10 and T Williams 36/20. Again not to take away form Oturu's game, but fact is that Michigan is an putrid interior defensive team and has been abused over and over by competent bigs.

Oturu has acquitted himself as one of the best players in college basketball so far this season. Offensively, there is no denying that he has been awesome! His rebounding has also been great.

However, since there are some posts predicting a top 10 draft status, I am going to be a little pickier and point out that he has not been great on the defensive side of the ball. He gets a few blocks, but his post defense has otherwise looked pretty average to me thus far. I have seen some of the reserves on the other teams scoring baskets on him in the post over the past 2-3 games. He tends to let his man establish a post too close to the basket, and then tends to let them advance even closer to the basket at that point.

It probably won't have much of an effect on his draft status, but I haven't seen much mention of his defense, so I thought I would point out what I have seen.

By no means do I want to take away from his performance yesterday (he was AMAZING) but to the above point that "Teske is a darn good post player" That is 100% not accurate. This year in the B1G, Michigan has allowed Oturu 30 Garza 44, Tillman 20/11 Cockburn 19/10 and T Williams 36/20. Again not to take away form Oturu's game, but fact is that Michigan is an putrid interior defensive team and has been abused over and over by competent bigs.
Teske is a pretty solid center. He oughtta sue Coach Howard for hanging him out to dry with no help against Oturu. From the numbers you posted, I assume that Howard has been doing this all year with the defense.

Teske is a pretty solid center. He oughtta sue Coach Howard for hanging him out to dry with no help against Oturu. From the numbers you posted, I assume that Howard has been doing this all year with the defense.

Correct, BGA, Howard does not believe in doubling the post. UM was staying with our shooters.

great take.... thanks for the stats

Correct, BGA, Howard does not believe in doubling the post. UM was staying with our shooters.

Wow when you look at the stats from leib's post, you would think that he would adjust course. It essentially lost them the game at the barn.

That was a fun performance to watch!
Favorite kind of player. What he has done in 30 months is off the charts. Just incredible. Said it before the season that this is the best Gopher roster in a very long time.

He has improved every year since his Freshman year of high school you are right fun too see.

Top Bottom