Non-conference is now over, how many total B10 Ws do we end up with?

What say you Holers?

• Total voters

I voted 8. The good coaches in our league will post up our guards if it’s Hawkins and Mitchell starting together. B1G tends to have slower play, less running, and a reliance on execution and making shots. We have better shooter than years past, multiple ball handlers, and good depth. The negative includes physically weak guards, Carrington being an exception, defense may be improved but not a strength, and I am not sure we wont still have turnover issues.

I live after holiday sales; chocolate covered 🍒
We’re half off at Rite-Aid😁

Alas, too far for many of us to travel. The closest ones are in Michigan. There were multiple ones in my godforsaken hometown county in Pennsyltucky.

The next two games will give us two good/better data points. One against a struggling team on the road and one against a struggling team at home. Win them both and we have better evidence of a bigger step forward this year. Lose them both and this looks like another Weakling Wednesday club with 4 or 5 wins.

7 wins!! Our guard play is still below average in the Big

7 wins!! Our guard play is still below average in the Big
Curious as to why you feel our guard play is below average. Just wondering what your opinion is based on. Personally, I thought our guard play was doing well of late and seemed to be improving every game. Hawkins assist numbers are phenomenal, Mitchell's 3-point shooting has been picking up, every game Christie gains more confidence and definitely looks like he belongs out there. What am I missing?

The next two games will give us two good/better data points. One against a struggling team on the road and one against a struggling team at home. Win them both and we have better evidence of a bigger step forward this year. Lose them both and this looks like another Weakling Wednesday club with 4 or 5 wins.
That would lead to a mid season boot.

Curious as to why you feel our guard play is below average. Just wondering what your opinion is based on. Personally, I thought our guard play was doing well of late and seemed to be improving every game. Hawkins assist numbers are phenomenal, Mitchell's 3-point shooting has been picking up, every game Christie gains more confidence and definitely looks like he belongs out there. What am I missing?
Weakness is foot speed and strength. They are skilled players which counts for a lot, but they can get pounded and beat off the dribble easily. Defense is the problem. Not offense.

Went with 9. This is two more than recorded in the early season poll. I think the single biggest factor for being optimistic is the depth of quality talent. Sure, one could argue that players like Hawkins, Mitchell and Christie have made an impact but lets not overthink it - last year we could not put a full team on the floor. When we did about all we could do was overachieve for a short while before the starters began running out of gas.

Lack of Depth has forced one dimensional play in the past two years and allowed opposing teams to key on the one or two players that presented a threat. It made Ben look worse and opposing coaches better by allowing teams to key on 1-2 specific players without fear of getting burned by the supporting cast. Probably also pretty frustrating for someone like Battle who had the talent to contribute (I would love to see the gophs play on a level by the end of the year to make him regret leaving).

At the risk of sounding like someone in an abusive relationship - I think the team has changed and turned the corner.

Last edited:

Alas, too far for many of us to travel. The closest ones are in Michigan. There were multiple ones in my godforsaken hometown county in Pennsyltucky.
I only bought Two boxes and those were gone yesterday; I knew I should have tricked that little old lady out of last box.

Last edited:

Power rankings, AP and Coaches Polls, T-rank, KenPom all mean very little except for achieved statistical facts. The games are played by 20-year olds and literally anything can happen. Momentum and team chemistry develops, or doesn't, and the final standings are all that matters. Its fun to predict but none of us knows what can happen. Ex: The '96/'97 team wasn't ranked preseason, but won the Big Ten easily, finished 31-4 (16-2) and was a Final Four team!
This Gopher team can land an NCAA 68 spot if they do it right and keep improving on a curve up. The discussion noise about all BTN teams changes weekly. Just win Baby.

Two and counting; I will be giving a shout out to the voters who whiffed on their predictions - stay tuned.

I unofficially picked 4...and have no need to be called out I have already gone on record saying the team is better than expected and will be happy to be wrong.

Early in the season I went with 7 +/- 3. I was betting the under. I'm going to stick with that. 4-10 the rest of the way. With 7 home games remaining they SHOULD win most of those as most BIG teams win their home games. My guess is 3-4 with the remaining home games and 1-6 on the road going forward. That would give me my totally shitty prediction of 7-13 in the conference. Will gladly eat crow if they somehow go on a run and finish 12-8 (or better) in conference.

Early in the season I went with 7 +/- 3. I was betting the under. I'm going to stick with that. 4-10 the rest of the way. With 7 home games remaining they SHOULD win most of those as most BIG teams win their home games. My guess is 3-4 with the remaining home games and 1-6 on the road going forward. That would give me my totally shitty prediction of 7-13 in the conference. Will gladly eat crow if they somehow go on a run and finish 12-8 (or better) in conference.
This happens we are starting over next Fall. Not great Bob!

Spot on.

Seems to me that they need the next two to salvage the season and maybe Ben’s job.

Beau Sparty Thursday and then the Barn will have renewed hope for Bucky and beating a ranked Badger team would settle things down.

I think they either beat Sparty or get blown out by 15+.

Top Bottom