Next Gopher Head Coach

With a big night from Cooper, who you know, wasn't good enough to play here.

Amazing what competent roster construction and coaching can do in a short amount of time.

It will be exciting to see what a night and day difference a new coach does for the Gophers next season.
I get this line of thinking but I will be totally surprised if Ben Johnson isn’t back next season.

Last edited:

If we go 5-15 or 6-14, "give me one more year we're so close!" is beyond an absurd thing to sell.

Incorrect. If we were getting blown out by every decent team we played....you'd have a point.

If your defense to keep Johnson is because of this SO class, I present to you:

52 minutes, 6-17fg, 0-4 from 3, 4-8ft. JOJ played 5 minutes. Carrington hasn't improved IMO and PP basically is what he was last year.
Speaking of JOJ

He played 5 minutes and Ilhen played 12.

What's up with that?

Ben is 0-12 against ranked opponents, 0-9 against Iowa and Wisconsin

and will have 3 bottom finishes!

Incorrect. If we were getting blown out by every decent team we played....you'd have a point.
Where is dramatic improvement going to come from? We add Asuma. Looks like a nice player, but most freshman aren't game changers. Christie should improve, if he stays. Perhaps Payne has one more level. The rest kind of are what they are.

Meanwhile we will almost certainly lose 1-2 of the top 8 to the portal, hopefully not Christie or Payne. Is Ben on his last chance suddenly going to hit HR's in the portal replacing them?

That good, huh? Bring him back for sure!
Well, we only have to go to Iowa, so 0-10

We don't have to go to Madison thankfully.

The streaks that we can go on in football and basketball against our two main rivals are nothing short of stunning. And many are as content about it as one can be.

On the other hand, I'm so used to it that I'm kind of numb to it.

Where is dramatic improvement going to come from? We add Asuma. Looks like a nice player, but most freshman aren't game changers. Christie should improve, if he stays. Perhaps Payne has one more level. The rest kind of are what they are.

Meanwhile we will almost certainly lose 1-2 of the top 8 to the portal, hopefully not Christie or Payne. Is Ben on his last chance suddenly going to hit HR's in the portal replacing them?

That's my main thing. If we were rated like 60-65 or so, instead of flirting around 100, I'd say maybe. But we still aren't a good team, overall.

We have no size or physicality inside. We have nothing coming in. That is a problem.

Well, we only have to go to Iowa, so 0-10

We don't have to go to Madison thankfully.

The streaks that we can go on in football and basketball against our two main rivals are nothing short of stunning. And many are as content about it as one can be.

On the other hand, I'm so used to it that I'm kind of numb to it.

What's frustrating is this schedule is so damn easy and we still can't even do anything with it. And even with that easy schedule we still managed to lose to a bad Missouri and a bad IU team.

Garcia is the only player from this team (and Fox) that will probably be gone. Everybody else returning will make for a solid roster with another year under their belts. Thinking that players cap their potential during their sophomore years. :LOL: lol.....keeping drinking that bleach.

Garcia is the only player from this team (and Fox) that will probably be gone. Everybody else returning will make for a solid roster with another year under their belts. Thinking that players cap their potential during their sophomore years. :LOL: lol.....keeping drinking that bleach.
Even just losing Garcia means you're subtracting the best player or 2nd best player from a bad team and then saying you're going to get significantly better somehow.

And last year at this time we were "full" and ended up losing Evans. And Battle. And Cooper. And Henley. And Thompson. But you think this year surely everyone will be back except Garcia and Fox?

Even just losing Garcia means you're subtracting the best player or 2nd best player from a bad team and then saying you're going to get significantly better somehow.

And last year at this time we were "full" and ended up losing Evans. And Battle. And Cooper. And Henley. And Thompson. But you think this year surely everyone will be back except Garcia and Fox?

Losing Garcia (if he leaves) would be more than replaced by another year of experience for basically the rest of the team. Coaches usually don't get fired based upon the potential of players transferring out.....because that doesn't make any sense.

Yeah, but we don't need Battle and his 14 ppg on 45% from 3 and 92% FT's. 🙄

How full was the barn tonight?

Anyone know?

Losing Garcia (if he leaves) would be more than replaced by another year of experience for basically the rest of the team. Coaches usually don't get fired based upon the potential of players transferring out.....because that doesn't make any sense.
They do when your argument for rentention is "ignore my 12-47 record and keep me due to the potential of next year's team. By the way, our best player is likely leaving."

No, but they do get fired by taking LAST place in the conference 3 years in a row. Their(Ben's) first 3 years on the job and their first 3 years as a HC at ANY LEVEL.

They do when your argument for rentention is "ignore my 12-47 record and keep me due to the potential of next year's team. By the way, our best player is likely leaving."
I just don't understand what the agenda is for some people. It certainly has nothing to do with wins and losses.

People are making asses of themselves bending over backward and contorting themselves, spending literally hours of their lives on a message board doubling and tripling down on defending the indefensible, and, to quote Marge from Fargo, for what? They sound like a bunch of crackpots.

Last edited:

JHFC shut the fuck up. You're just embarrassing yourself now.

"Everybody else returning?" LOL, you're just grasping at straws now.

Zero chance. JOJ got 5 fucking minutes tonight. Payne and Christie can go anywhere, why would they stay?

Zero chance all 3 are Gophers next year.

Move on already. He's a disaster. Delaying his firing is 100 times worse than hiring him.

And Garcia goes to Europe or Australia to play for some money.

They are getting worse. This coach should be gone. Same team, same result as last 2 years. On the positive side, the women's team gave an even worse effort tonight.

Since you didn't reply before I'll try again. Your only rebuttal in any all all posts that don't agree with you are "none of you know jack so your opinion doesn't count" so why does yours? What do you know about basketball we don't. What do you know about the players we don't.

You are aware this is a public forum?
You are aware our current head coach is 9-38 in conference?
We can have our opinions, and just because you dug in on the wrong side doesn't mean most of us are wrong

Top Bottom