New Wing Commit: Kristupas Keinys

I noticed he does have a slight hitch in his jump shot, which is probably correctable. But hes 19 playing in a respected European league so I like his potential with us.
His highlites don’t show him missing any dunks. Note the Euro notes on him say he is a 6’6” guard. Does a good job penetrating. May be yet another good ball handler.

The changes to this team are far beyond what I hoped.

I noticed he does have a slight hitch in his jump shot, which is probably correctable. But hes 19 playing in a respected European league so I like his potential with us.
The league he is playing in isn't very good. It's the third highest ranked league in Lithuania. Basketball in Europe is similar to soccer in Europe, there are a series of leagues that relegate and promote.

The top league in Lithuania (LKL) relegates to the second best league in Lithunia (NKL) which relegates to the third best league in Lithuania (RKL) which is the league that his team plays. This league is full of 17/18 year olds. There are no former NBA players/American college players in the RKL.

For some perspective, Mutaf currently plays in the top league in Spain but when he first left Minnesota, he played in the third highest ranked league in Spain. However, that league is much stronger than its Lithuanian counterpart. It's mostly to do with $$, the Spanish lower leagues are genuine minor leagues - actual professional basketball players.

All of that said, I do agree with your post. I like his potential with us and even if he doesn't pan out, it's exactly what I had been crying about for months. There is no excuse to not at least fill out your scholarships and see where things land. I'd rather take risks than eat scholarships. He is a 6'7" guy who is pretty athletic and can at least shoot a little bit. He looks raw but he looks like he could provide some depth at a position of desperate need. Plus, he is kind of a fun prospect to root for.

I am just thrilled that Coach Johnson filled the roster for once. We've lost so much because of a lack of depth in the last two years and not having a full roster is inexcusable. Also depth creates competition...

I am just thrilled that Coach Johnson filled the roster for once. We've lost so much because of a lack of depth in the last two years and not having a full roster is inexcusable. Also depth creates competition...
Every scholarship player is a potential winning ticket in the superstar lottery.
The more tickets, the more chances to win.

Anyone come across his weight. It is a factor in B1G competition.

Unfortunately there has not been any discount of any sort for family members of faculty and staff in the U system for at least 20+ years. I doubt there is in the Minnesota State system either but I don’t know for certain. There is free tuition for faculty and staff kids in most Minnesota private schools but the kids need to be admitted on their own. No automatic admission.

As a State System teacher I can tell you there is a for family.

His weight is a concern. His quickness, aggressiveness, and +40% 3 point shooting plus he doesn’t need to work the boards are mitigating fractures. Durability is my concern.

The league he is playing in isn't very good. It's the third highest ranked league in Lithuania. Basketball in Europe is similar to soccer in Europe, there are a series of leagues that relegate and promote.

The top league in Lithuania (LKL) relegates to the second best league in Lithunia (NKL) which relegates to the third best league in Lithuania (RKL) which is the league that his team plays. This league is full of 17/18 year olds. There are no former NBA players/American college players in the RKL.

For some perspective, Mutaf currently plays in the top league in Spain but when he first left Minnesota, he played in the third highest ranked league in Spain. However, that league is much stronger than its Lithuanian counterpart. It's mostly to do with $$, the Spanish lower leagues are genuine minor leagues - actual professional basketball players.

All of that said, I do agree with your post. I like his potential with us and even if he doesn't pan out, it's exactly what I had been crying about for months. There is no excuse to not at least fill out your scholarships and see where things land. I'd rather take risks than eat scholarships. He is a 6'7" guy who is pretty athletic and can at least shoot a little bit. He looks raw but he looks like he could provide some depth at a position of desperate need. Plus, he is kind of a fun prospect to root for.
Tony's article says he's in the 2nd tier. I don't know shit about Lithuanian hoops, just repeating stuff

Currently, 19 years old Kristupas Keinys has been playing for Klaipedos Neptunas-Akvaservis for the last two seasons. His team played in the Lituania NKL, which is the second-tier of professional basketball in the country, essentially acting as an academy system for players aged 17-22

Tony's article says he's in the 2nd tier. I don't know shit about Lithuanian hoops, just repeating stuff
decent. lithuania, i think, is currently ranked 7th in FIBA (US is ranked second, spain first)

I love this pickup. None of us have any idea of how Kristupas will pan out, but this is the kind of crafty recruiting we need here. The portal is drying up and anyone with potential is going to have a dozen suitors on him. This is a way of getting someone that might end up being higher end than anyone you can get stateside. Good job by the staff! We have a full roster. This shows that summer time whining may not always be accurate. Now let's get a few decent opponents on our schedule to clear off another sore issue.

Agreed! One thing I hate, is hearing a coach complain that there are not enough bodies to run a full practice scrimmage. That has been a definite weak spot for Ben.

I love this pickup. None of us have any idea of how Kristupas will pan out, but this is the kind of crafty recruiting we need here. The portal is drying up and anyone with potential is going to have a dozen suitors on him. This is a way of getting someone that might end up being higher end than anyone you can get stateside. Good job by the staff! We have a full roster. This shows that summer time whining may not always be accurate. Now let's get a few decent opponents on our schedule to clear off another sore issue.
I consider Purdue and Michigan State as good opponents. A few more as well.

Now to assemble the players and talent into a team. Summer practice is especially important this year. It is a brand new team.

I know you know this, but people are talking non-conference opponents.
Yeah I know. Most people aren’t too bright. They only think about themselves. How is everything in Rocky Top. We have a wet week out here near the beach.

Currently, 19 years old Kristupas Keinys has been playing for Klaipedos Neptunas-Akvaservis for the last two seasons. His team played in the Lituania NKL, which is the second-tier of professional basketball in the country, essentially acting as an academy system for players aged 17-22
Yeah, I could definitely be wrong about where his team plays.

That league is better, no NBA players or any like professional basketball players, but more grown men and a lot of prospects.

Yeah I know. Most people aren’t too bright. They only think about themselves. How is everything in Rocky Top. We have a wet week out here near the beach.
No longer in TN. Retired to Sarasota area. Should probably change my handle.

Your handle is fine. The west coast of Florida is a great place to retire. Unfortunately I won’t live to retire but I love what I’m doing. If I die at 130 or tonight it doesn’t matter. I’ll still be in my boots.

Your handle is fine. The west coast of Florida is a great place to retire. Unfortunately I won’t live to retire but I love what I’m doing. If I die at 130 or tonight it doesn’t matter. I’ll still be in my boots.
Good attitude. Hopefully it's 130.

He basically played in the Lithuanian equivalent of the G-League or whatever its now called. He played the 7th most minutes on the u18 National Team in the FIBA European Championships as I posted earlier, as well. 3 of his national teammates have committed to play high major college ball.

Lithuania is a very solid b-ball country, winning 3 bronze medals in the Olympics and also producing one of the best big men to ever play in Arvydas Sabonis.

The article says "second best minor league" which to me indicates it's the 3rd tier as the top tier would be the "major league"

The Ukrainian infantry.....
The women's team got a commit today from someone who had offers from Wisconsin, Marquette and Arkansas. I guess we can call it a draw.

Top Bottom