New Wing Commit: Kristupas Keinys

Freshman I take it, even out the classes a bit. Is Betts projected to split playing time between the 3 and 4, Ola-Joseph also or is he going to be mostly 4.

Per Marcus:

The 6-7 Keinys announced his commitment Tuesday to play for the Gophers next season. He was sold on the program after visiting the U on June 12 on his first trip to the U.S.

"I wanted to thank all the coaching staff for recruiting me — all the staff is amazing," Keinys told the Star Tribune on Tuesday. "The Gophers were the best program for me. Everything is built here to make you better every day. We will have a strong team. Ben Johnson is a very good coach. I know that he can take me to another level as a player and a person."

Keinys recently played for Klaipėdos Neptūnas-Akvaservis in the second best basketball minor league in Lithuania. He averaged 8.6 points, 5.2 rebounds and 1.4 assists in 38 games. He also played for his native country in the U18 European Championships in 2022.

Johnson and his staff started recruiting Keinys last month, wanting to add perimeter talent to the 2023-24 team, which opened summer practice last week.

"I will do everything i can to help the team win," Keinys said. "I think that I can help the team play fast pace and defend. I want to be a player that can help everywhere and do everything."

Go Gophers!!

They don't have a scholarship for AJ Plitzuweit unless someone else gives up his.
BUT, AJ could walk on or receive some type of family employee tuition discount. He can also get a scholarship with NIL money.
Both seem unlikely because Ben has said he prefers less people. But we did just add KK24 so maybe he's changing his mind?
AJ would be a nice addition.

So this is why we put the AJP on ice, works for me! Not expecting much from him this season unless we can get him in right away to start working with the team. Even then it will be a big learning curve at first I'm sure. Go Gophers!

Unfortunately there has not been any discount of any sort for family members of faculty and staff in the U system for at least 20+ years. I doubt there is in the Minnesota State system either but I don’t know for certain. There is free tuition for faculty and staff kids in most Minnesota private schools but the kids need to be admitted on their own. No automatic admission.

So this is why we put the AJP on ice, works for me! Not expecting much from him this season unless we can get him in right away to start working with the team. Even then it will be a big learning curve at first I'm sure. Go Gophers!
That would be of course be wise to get him in right away. Wonder when it transpires that he’s here for good? He was on the visit here.

He might play meaningful minutes or just as likely redshirt. Defense is critical to our turnaround.

AJ would have been for this year. Keinys is for 24 and beyond.

2022-2023 38 games, played 27 minutes per. 59% from 2 but 25% from 3. 71% FT
I noticed he does have a slight hitch in his jump shot, which is probably correctable. But hes 19 playing in a respected European league so I like his potential with us.

Top Bottom