New Mexico State Tickets left

I’ll save the rant that I usually go on every year and contain it to just this post…

But there are 89 high school football games around the state that evening. If there are 500 people at each game on average that’s over 40k football people (in my estimation people who are involved in high school football are more likely to attend a college football game) who are OUT for a Thursday night opener.

Which is why college football should be played on Saturdays (and I’d also argue why high school should be played on fridays so I am mad at the high schools in this instance as well)

If 15% of high school football involved people from that night bought a gopher ticket…that’s half the remaining tickets. If 30%…that’s all the remaining tickets.

The real think I don’t know is in those 89 games 500 players coaches refs fans etc a realistic number. 500 is wayyyy small for the big schools but it’s wayyyy big for the small schools so I just don’t know. I am not sure it takes away from my point if it’s 350 or 650 though
The Thursday opener does allow those involved in D3 football on Saturdays to attend.

Also I have friends after the game then go straight to their cabin for 3 days. If the game was on Saturday, depending on the opponent, they would probably skip the game as they did back when they were playing Saturdays only (except for an odd Twins conflict) back at the HHH Dome.

The Thursday opener does allow those involved in D3 football on Saturdays to attend.

Also I have friends after the game then go straight to their cabin for 3 days. If the game was on Saturday, depending on the opponent, they would probably skip the game as they did back when they were playing Saturdays only (except for an odd Twins conflict) back at the HHH Dome.
That’s a good point

If you want to go to the game, you go to the game. If you don't want to go to the game, you don't.

If you want to go to the game, you go to the game. If you don't want to go to the game, you don't.
Or if your kid has his own game that night, you don't.

and just to stir the pot, I will point out that "tickets sold" is not the same as "actual attendance."

just out of curiosity, I would like to see the actual turnstile counts for games to see how many people are really at the games.

a certain % of season tickets - maybe not as many as in past years - are purchased by companies and some of those tickets go unused - especially for non-conf games.

and then there are tickets that are assigned to corporate sponsors, or tickets that are allocated to members of the Gophers' radio network.

before retiring, I spent 24 years working at a Gopher radio network station. we received tickets for give-aways. most of the time, we had takers, but there were times when people would call in to "win" tickets, but never showed up to claim them. in all fairness, we saw that more for basketball tickets than for football tickets.

I like the Thursday night games. Will be out pre-gaming with friends and coworkers around 3. Grab some food, grab some beers. Reconnect.
I like it too. Love it in fact. Sets up a 4 day weekend that includes golf, HS football, and State Amateur Baseball, following the Gopher game. It's become a personal tradition. Summer's Last Stand.

I like the Thursday night games. Will be out pre-gaming with friends and coworkers around 3. Grab some food, grab some beers. Reconnect.
I've really enjoyed them, too. There's something nice about getting back to college football just a bit early, even if its only by a day. Also, the anticipation just builds throughout the whole day at work. It's especially been good when we win, so the rest of the weekend I can just sit back, enjoy the other games and don't have as much stress.

I think at this point, I'd only want a Saturday game for an opener if the Gophers were invited to one of those big kick-off matches, like the Cowboys Classic or the Chick Fil A Kickoff Game.

Reminds me of a time in the summer when I was in college and trying to determine if a friend of mine was going to join our weekend plans. He had cautioned us that he might have to work. I kept pressuring him for an answer and asked him for a percentage chance that he’d have to work. In frustration he finally said “50/50! Either I have to work or I don’t!”

What is the D3 football schedule in Minnesota look like opening weekend?

Not sure about D3 but I know the NSIC in D2 has a lot of games that night, too. I went to MSU Moorhead and they're playing Sioux Falls that night.

Actually in 2016, 2018 and 2019 the Dragons and Gophers both won on Thursday night season openers. Hoping that happens again!

Not sure about D3 but I know the NSIC in D2 has a lot of games that night, too. I went to MSU Moorhead and they're playing Sioux Falls that night.

Actually in 2016, 2018 and 2019 the Dragons and Gophers both won on Thursday night season openers. Hoping that happens again!
Looks like there are 4 d2 games in the state
FCS St Thomas plays Thursday night

D3 one school plays Thursday (Concordia Moorhead)
8 games Saturday

So high school 89 conflicts Thursday
2 college games Thursday

12 college games Saturday
1 HS game Saturday (Nevis vs Greenbush)

Looks like there are 4 d2 games in the state
FCS St Thomas plays Thursday night

D3 one school plays Thursday (Concordia Moorhead)
8 games Saturday

So high school 89 conflicts Thursday
2 college games Thursday

12 college games Saturday
1 HS game Saturday (Nevis vs Greenbush)
Looks like you have it covered. I would guess the 2 biggest draws (both several thousand) for MIAC games would be:

UW-Whitewater at St John's (1pm)
Pacific Lutheran U at Bethel (1pm)

Looks like you have it covered. I would guess the 2 biggest draws (both several thousand) for MIAC games would be:

Hopefully St. John's wins and gets an early victory over a Wisconsin team this football season.

Me too. Get over to the U 5-5:30 right after work. Take Friday off for a long weekend, and usually head to the Fair.

No question.
I would guess Minnetonka @ Edina Thursday night has a bigger crowd than both of those. Maybe not St. John’s

No question.
I would guess Minnetonka @ Edina Thursday night has a bigger crowd than both of those. Maybe not St. John’s
St Johns will draw 7000+ I would guess. Especially if students are back (move in wekeend I’d guess?) and weather is good

St Johns will draw 7000+ I would guess. Especially if students are back (move in wekeend I’d guess?) and weather is good
Last year they were over 8 for the opener. Based on averages it would be close but I didn’t realize that SJU had less than 3k at both their home playoff games

Last year they were over 8 for the opener. Based on averages it would be close but I didn’t realize that SJU had less than 3k at both their home playoff games
If school isn't in session it really hurts attendance and it was thanksgiving week/weekend I believe. Still surprised it was that low

Any updates? I don't know how to do what you do. And if I missed an update buried in D3 football talk--sorry!
I hope he's not counting every dot in the seat map by hand!

No question.
The Whitewater/St John's game would be my choice if I were not an avid Gopher fan.

The Whitewater/St John's game would be my choice if I were not an avid Gopher fan.
They don’t play on the same day. So you can make that choice. Enjoy the game

I hope he's not counting every dot in the seat map by hand!
Nope I do have to count each section though! but that's doesn't take to long 5 mins tops and I will found again later this afternoon its earlier on two monitors.

Top Bottom