New Mexico State Tickets left

Flecknation

Reaction score
As of 4:40PM today 12,303 single game tickets (available from gopher sports) remain for the home opener. Ill try to do a daily count to see how many tickets are moving/selling.

If the weather looks good, I assume at least another 2-3k tickets will be sold to people wanting to kick tires on a Thursday night before Labor Day. That will put the crowd into the low 40K range which is what most were guessing in a previous thread.

Last edited:

If the weather looks good, I assume at least another 2-3k tickets will be sold to people wanting to kick tires on a Thursday night before Memorial Day. That will put the crowd into the low 40K range which is what most were guessing in a previous thread.
Waaay before Memorial Day!

If the weather looks good, I assume at least another 2-3k tickets will be sold to people wanting to kick tires on a Thursday night before Memorial Day. That will put the crowd into the low 40K range which is what most were guessing in a previous thread.
Ah . . . Labor Day. The 8:00 p.m. start doesn't help with ticket sales.

I’ll save the rant that I usually go on every year and contain it to just this post…

But there are 89 high school football games around the state that evening. If there are 500 people at each game on average that’s over 40k football people (in my estimation people who are involved in high school football are more likely to attend a college football game) who are OUT for a Thursday night opener.

Which is why college football should be played on Saturdays (and I’d also argue why high school should be played on fridays so I am mad at the high schools in this instance as well)

If 15% of high school football involved people from that night bought a gopher ticket…that’s half the remaining tickets. If 30%…that’s all the remaining tickets.

The real think I don’t know is in those 89 games 500 players coaches refs fans etc a realistic number. 500 is wayyyy small for the big schools but it’s wayyyy big for the small schools so I just don’t know. I am not sure it takes away from my point if it’s 350 or 650 though

Last edited:

I’ll save the rant that I usually go on every year and contain it to just this post…

But there are 89 high school football games around the state that evening. If there are 500 people at each game on average that’s over 40k football people (in my estimation people who are involved in high school football are more likely to attend a college football game) who are OUT for a Thursday night opener.

Which is why college football should be played on Saturdays (and I’d also argue why high school should be played on fridays so I am mad at the high schools in this instance as well)

If 15% of high school football involved people from that night bought a gopher ticket…that’s half the remaining tickets. If 30%…that’s all the remaining tickets.

The real think I don’t know is in those 89 games 500 players coaches refs fans etc a realistic number. 500 is wayyyy small for the big schools but it’s wayyyy big for the small schools so I just don’t know. I am not sure it takes away from my point if it’s 350 or 650 though
As you say, that does work both ways. High school games used to be pretty much exclusive to Fridays. Now they are often on Thursdays and Saturdays.

State Fair, HS football, Vikings preseason, Twins, Mall of America, Applebees, Mini golf, cabins, etc. etc. The opener on Thursday night has often had conflicts over the years. It is a busy calendar and there is no perfect answer. But I am fine with the semi-new tradition of opening on the Thur night before Labor Day.

Either I miss counted yesterday or they added for seats todays count is 12,610

As you say, that does work both ways. High school games used to be pretty much exclusive to Fridays. Now they are often on Thursdays and Saturdays.

State Fair, HS football, Vikings preseason, Twins, Mall of America, Applebees, Mini golf, cabins, etc. etc. The opener on Thursday night has often had conflicts over the years. It is a busy calendar and there is no perfect answer. But I am fine with the semi-new tradition of opening on the Thur night before Labor Day.
High schools can’t find refs. So they have to play other days.

So 89 games statewide. You aren’t getting 15% of those people. Or even 5% realistically. Where are those games being played? I doubt Luverne, Thief River Falls, east Grand Forks and Albert Lea are heading to a Thursday night game

So 89 games statewide. You aren’t getting 15% of those people. Or even 5% realistically. Where are those games being played? I doubt Luverne, Thief River Falls, east Grand Forks and Albert Lea are heading to a Thursday night game
How about Hopkins, apple valley, rosemount, maple grove, Woodbury, white bear lake?

Are you kidding? You think high school football fans aren’t potential gopher fans?

How about Hopkins, apple valley, rosemount, maple grove, Woodbury, white bear lake?

Are you kidding? You think high school football fans aren’t potential gopher fans?
Potential. But they aren’t getting 15% of those. Or 10%. Or even 5%. Because if they were they’d be selling out easily on Saturday’s. And they aren’t.

Last edited:

Win a few games and the fans will be there. May need to get ranked for the average MN to show up.
Attendance has been good the last few non-Covid seasons for games against better. Scheduling bottom of the country teams isn’t great for attendance.

Scroll to the attendance portion. Obviously opponents a huge factor and how good the team is. But I think they are good enough where attendance is a mostly non-issue.

Potential. But they aren’t getting 15% of those. Or 10%. Or even 5%. Because if they were they’d be selling out easily on Saturday’s. And they aren’t.
If they got 15% of those they literally wouldn’t be selling out if you read my original post

as noted, HS games are getting moved around due to issues finding enough referees to work the games.

and, over the last 10 years or so, more teams have gone to playing on Thursday for the first week of the regular season. Not sure why - except that it gives teams an extra day to rest and prepare for week #2.

a lot of 9-man teams seems to like the Thursday night opener in SW MN.

as noted, HS games are getting moved around due to issues finding enough referees to work the games.

and, over the last 10 years or so, more teams have gone to playing on Thursday for the first week of the regular season. Not sure why - except that it gives teams an extra day to rest and prepare for week #2.

a lot of 9-man teams seems to like the Thursday night opener in SW MN.
Thursday night opener has been a thing for a ton of teams for about 25 years. It isn’t due to ref shortage

Random Thursday games in the middle of the season are due to ref shortage.

Week 1 is probably the only week of the season without a ref shortage

If they got 15% of those they literally wouldn’t be selling out if you read my original post
I’m assuming there are other fans at the game—like 10,000 students and 20,000 STHers. And if you’re assuming a large % of refs, players, coaches are going…wouldn’t you assume fans of those games are football fans who would attend? Or are they somehow only high school fans? Are all these players just going without parents? None of their friends who aren’t on the team can go?

I never attended a gopher game until I was out of college. So maybe it’s a huge % like you said and I just wasn’t part of it. And knew no one else who was a part of it.

I’m assuming there are other fans at the game. And if you’re assuming a large % of refs, players, coaches are going…wouldn’t you assume fans of those games are football fans who would attend? Or are they somehow only high school fans?
I’m not sure what we are debating here.
I am assuming a portion of high school fans would go to a gopher game if it wasn’t the same night. I can literally name 10 in my family who will miss the opener:

They already bought tickets though. Who were given to someone else. So 10 different people are going…not all 10 of those would’ve bought tickets

I thought the Thursday night games for the opener were somehow tied to the State Fair parking/logistics. I felt like it was a case that if the U wanted a home opener on Labor Day weekend, it would have to be on Thursday night and not on Saturday. Or am I just misremembering?

Edit to add this:
It looks like that was maybe just a temporary issue. Or did they decide to extend the agreement with the fair after 2016?

I thought the Thursday night games for the opener were somehow tied to the State Fair parking/logistics. I felt like it was a case that if the U wanted a home opener on Labor Day weekend, it would have to be on Thursday night and not on Saturday. Or am I just misremembering?

Edit to add this:
It looks like that was maybe just a temporary issue. Or did they decide to extend the agreement with the fair after 2016?
Pretty sure there is still a connection with the fair as to why we play the opener on a Thursday night. Those stadium lots are a key park and ride location for the fair.

Tickets are selling on StubHub for less than face value, so that is a factor as well.

Top Bottom