"Nebraska had two players hospitalized for rhabdo in 2018. In 2022, Scott Frost is bragging about how much his players are puking at practice."

They’re no more worrisome than most of the conference games. Remember we have an OC now who doesn’t tend to completely implode. Not sure Thompson is a better athlete than Martinez. Not sure we can say they made hay in the portal until those players actually show something. They lost a bunch in the portal too.
Now that Frost has been removed from Offense play calling, and that Nebby has a real OC (from Pitt, I believe), it might utilize its “on paper” talent a little better. I like our chances, but the outside world is giving a slight edge to Nebraska … until further data points become available. Go Northwestern!

They’re no more worrisome than most of the conference games. Remember we have an OC now who doesn’t tend to completely implode. Not sure Thompson is a better athlete than Martinez. Not sure we can say they made hay in the portal until those players actually show something. They lost a bunch in the portal too.
Now that Frost has been removed from Offense play calling, and that Nebby has a real OC (from Pitt, I believe), it might utilize its “on paper” talent a little better. I like our chances, but the outside world is giving a slight edge to Nebraska … until further data points become available. Go Northwestern!
I watched that tape as well. Apparently I am the only one worried about Neb. Remember we only got 3 first downs the second half (1 on a penalty). We didn’t exactly blow them out and now they made “hay” with the portal. Granted their QB is gone, but they seemed to replace him with a better athlete.
Martinez is a better athlete (leading rusher two years); Texas transfer, not known for his wheels, is a significantly better passer and makes fewer mistakes trying to force something.

Last edited:

Martinez is a better athlete (leading rusher two years); Texas transfer, not known for his wheels, is a significantly better passer and makes fewer mistakes try to force something.
I often wonder what Martinez would have been like ... coached elsewhere.

I bet Martinez wonders what it would have been like to have been coached elsewhere as well. In a lot of ways he is this generations Antwaan Randle-El, great athlete on a dysfunctional team where he was forced to basically try and do it all by himself much of the time.

Watch Kansas State this year. Martinez is a great athlete and runner. Strong arm but has accuracy and judgment problems. Much of the value he brings is on the QB option or designed run. Not sure how he’ll be in an offense that relies principally in the QB’s arm.

Last edited:

Watch Kansas State this year. Martinez is a great athlete and runner. Strong arm but has accuracy and judgment problems. Much of the value he brings is on the QB option or designed run. Not sure how he’ll be in an offense that relies principally in the QB’s arm. we
I will. Although I was thinking more from a development standpoint. Hard to know there.

Top Bottom