My reluctant Gopherhole semi retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
No problems on my iphone 15. I do get frequent Cloudflare errors the last couple months on Mac-Chrome, which block me from the message boards

I know everyone’s solution is to do whatever to block ads but if the page isn’t working it shouldn’t be the fault of ads. I don’t think GH has all that many ads for a totally free service that doesn’t sell merch.

Ads are a necessary part of the free internet. If everyone blocks all the ads they can’t complain when their favorite sites and apps have to start charging or shut their door

It would be cool if GH had an ad free paid tier but implementing that takes a good amount of work
We do offer ad free for those that donate $100 a year which many have done.

Predominantly safari. Guess I haven’t played around a ton with the other browsers
I would try either Firefox, Edge, or Chrome and see if one displays better than the other for you.

I do a lot of posting on my PC - but I do post on my phone while watching games on TV.

I have a somewhat older MotoZ4 android phone, and for the most part, I can post OK on my phone. Now and then, the phone "freezes" while trying to post, and I just have to wait for it to "unfreeze" and start moving again, but I don't lose what I was trying to post.

my biggest problem in posting on a phone is that I am really slow at typing. I'm OK on a keyboard, but on a phone virtual keyboard, it takes me forever to peck out a comment. I don't know how kids type so fast with their thumbs.

Chrome doesn't work at all for Gopher Hole on either my phone or desktop.

I use the generic internet app that came with my phone. For computer I use windows. Only for Gophwr Hole.

This isn’t specific to the football board, I’m assuming, but it is where I spend 90% of my GH time so I’ll post it here.

I initially loved the change to the new technology a couple years ago especially when I visited on my phone, which was and is the tool of choice for 95% of my Gopherhole visits.

But as of late, things seem to load weirdly and whatever I am viewing bounces around, plops in advertisements, and involuntarily takes me off of posts I am reading when I am right in the middle of them.

Now, to make matters worse, I have had it do this jump thing three times when I was in the middle of posting and halfway through typing a paragraph. Each of these instances has left me with lost comments and text boxes completely wiped out.

Has this happened to anyone else? I’ve dropped my GH activity considerably.
All the time on my I-Phone.

The same thing has happened to me a lot ... on my iPhone. Especially when I am composing a comment. Very annoying. Things just suddenly jumble, and whatever I am reading or writing disappears. I doesn't happen when I am on my desktop. So, I write my comments on my desktop. Now just use phone to review things or type a one sentence comment.

Try refreshing the webpage after it glitches and your comments should return.

GopherHole is only bearable when I have adblockers turned on, the ads are intrusive and make the site a pain to navigate. I don't even try any more on mobile.

We have a ticket into removing the dynamic ads so they are static, that should help most of these issues. If you see these issues please send us a DM and we can respond quicker.
That would be great. Ads are a necessary evil when it comes to the internet but I'm in agreement with the others that they make the site almost unusable unless you are in private mode or using some sort of ad blocker.

Are you saying that when you view GH on Firefox Focus you can't see the embedded tweets?
It just shows the outline of a box that says “please disable your ad blocker to view Tweet” or something like that. But you can click the box to to the tweet in the browser.

Costs nothing to load the Firefox Focus app. Pretty sure you don’t need to sign up for an account.

Give it a shot. Worst case, decide you don’t like it and delete it.

7 ads on this 9 posts page. Seems to be a very high %. An ad after nearly every post 😂

This isn’t specific to the football board, I’m assuming, but it is where I spend 90% of my GH time so I’ll post it here.

I initially loved the change to the new technology a couple years ago especially when I visited on my phone, which was and is the tool of choice for 95% of my Gopherhole visits.

But as of late, things seem to load weirdly and whatever I am viewing bounces around, plops in advertisements, and involuntarily takes me off of posts I am reading when I am right in the middle of them.

Now, to make matters worse, I have had it do this jump thing three times when I was in the middle of posting and halfway through typing a paragraph. Each of these instances has left me with lost comments and text boxes completely wiped out.

Yes, it happens all the time on my iPhone, iPad and Mac. It has to do with all the advertising that keeps jumping around….

We have a ticket into removing the dynamic ads so they are static, that should help most of these issues. If you see these issues please send us a DM and we can respond quicker.
But this worked better because you get to hear how widespread of a problem it is.

I just realized that I surf this site on desktop with privacy badger installed so that likely saves me.
99% of my holing is from my phone. I use to be primarily from a computer but I rarely go to the office anymore and when I am on my computer its to actually accomplish work. Not just waste time until the whistle blows.

Bring back Tap a Talk @GopherHole Staff

FWIW - there are some interesting differences between operating systems.

had this come up for my local municipal telecom system. got complaints that a web cam that shows the downtown area was not working. people viewing the web cam video on an iPhone had flashing and jitter, but Android phones and desktop PC's were fine. discovered from the web cam provider that their system does not support Apple IOS browsers and they advised customers to use Chrome or Firefox.

for technical reasons I don't understand, it appears that Apple doesn't work or play well with certain types of systems or software.

had this come up for my local municipal telecom system. got complaints that a web cam that shows the downtown area was not working. people viewing the web cam video on an iPhone had flashing and jitter, but Android phones and desktop PC's were fine. discovered from the web cam provider that their system does not support Apple IOS browsers and they advised customers to use Chrome or Firefox.

for technical reasons I don't understand, it appears that Apple doesn't work or play well with certain types of systems or software.
Apple in general makes everything in their ecosystem work like magic, and then doesn't support 3rd party as much so that when you do run into issues, they can try to sell you on their thing. As far as web software, not sure why they wouldn't work on good web support, but the web has always had some web browser that was worse at support (internet explorer for the longest time).

It was Google and Android that started supporting and pushing website developers to use different codecs for video and images. In the case of video it was Ogg and then WebM, neither of which were part of the web standards. Apple stayed with the mpeg (aka mpg), governed by the Moving Picture Experts Group, which charges a fee to major content producers. Ogg and WebM do not.

Apple has supported WebM for a few years now. But I don’t think Ogg ever will be fully supported. It’s partially supported, but not in media containers.

It was Google and Android that started supporting and pushing website developers to use different codecs for video and images. In the case of video it was Ogg and then WebM, neither of which were part of the web standards. Apple stayed with the mpeg (aka mpg), governed by the Moving Picture Experts Group, which charges a fee to major content producers. Ogg and WebM do not.

Apple has supported WebM for a few years now. But I don’t think Ogg ever will be fully supported. It’s partially supported, but not in media containers.
1704307304478.png

Agreed with everyone else that performance on iPhone is comically bad to the point where I pretty much only come on here when I'm on a PC. I'll give it a bit with the supposed "fix", but will try out the suggestions by others if that doesn't work. Thanks!

Yes, all of the above happens on the phone. Never happens on laptop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_(software)

Agreed with everyone else that performance on iPhone is comically bad to the point where I pretty much only come on here when I'm on a PC. I'll give it a bit with the supposed "fix", but will try out the suggestions by others if that doesn't work. Thanks!
Log into GH every day on my iPhone with zero problems. Zero issues. (Almost, only as of lately the very bottom banner ad has come back to life) zero ads.

Firefox Focus.

I know you guys won't listen. I can only lead horses to water.

I just started getting Cloudfare error messages (within the past few days) when I try to access GopherHole on my Chromebook. I've NEVER had this issue before. If I open a new "Incognito" page in Chrome, it allows me to access GopherHole.

Anyone have a solution on how to solve my problem without having to go Incognito to access GopherHole?

We’ve been working with our ad partner to remove all of the dynamic ads that made it difficult to maneuver and it’s cut it dramatically down but still not 100% removed. If you see one, please screen grab a photo of the ad and DM us so we can send it to the ad provider and they will block that advertiser. Thanks for your patience as we work to solve this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom