My reluctant Gopherhole semi retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
This isn’t specific to the football board, I’m assuming, but it is where I spend 90% of my GH time so I’ll post it here.

I initially loved the change to the new technology a couple years ago especially when I visited on my phone, which was and is the tool of choice for 95% of my Gopherhole visits.

But as of late, things seem to load weirdly and whatever I am viewing bounces around, plops in advertisements, and involuntarily takes me off of posts I am reading when I am right in the middle of them.

Now, to make matters worse, I have had it do this jump thing three times when I was in the middle of posting and halfway through typing a paragraph. Each of these instances has left me with lost comments and text boxes completely wiped out.

Has this happened to anyone else? I’ve dropped my GH activity considerably.

Firefox Focus. Free in app stores, open source.

Blocks nearly all the BS on GH. Runs fast. Urge you to give it a try before dropping out.

You lose embedded Tweets but you can click the outline box to go to it. Small price to pay

Feel for all of you as I only post or view GH from my home PC or laptop when away.

Living the Dinosaur Media dream I guess.

Good luck though. Hope the Firefox Focus works. Also uderstand subscribers can be ad free? Mods?

It's like the administrators never use GH on their phones. I gave up using my phone only home or work computer. Ignoring issues rarely solves anything except when they told us @ boot camp "if you pick it, it won't heal".

This isn’t specific to the football board, I’m assuming, but it is where I spend 90% of my GH time so I’ll post it here.

I initially loved the change to the new technology a couple years ago especially when I visited on my phone, which was and is the tool of choice for 95% of my Gopherhole visits.

But as of late, things seem to load weirdly and whatever I am viewing bounces around, plops in advertisements, and involuntarily takes me off of posts I am reading when I am right in the middle of them.

Now, to make matters worse, I have had it do this jump thing three times when I was in the middle of posting and halfway through typing a paragraph. Each of these instances has left me with lost comments and text boxes completely wiped out.

Have you tried using a different browser and/or an ad blocker?

The same thing has happened to me a lot ... on my iPhone. Especially when I am composing a comment. Very annoying. Things just suddenly jumble, and whatever I am reading or writing disappears. I doesn't happen when I am on my desktop. So, I write my comments on my desktop. Now just use phone to review things or type a one sentence comment.

Firefox Focus. Free in app stores, open source.

Blocks nearly all the BS on GH. Runs fast. Urge you to give it a try before dropping out.

You lose embedded Tweets but you can click the outline box to go to it. Small price to pay
Are you saying that when you view GH on Firefox Focus you can't see the embedded tweets? GH is terrible on my phone, but social media is blocked on my work computer. Half the time I view GH on my phone it's to see threads with a lot of embedded tweets (recruiting threads, etc.) so I can see who we're talking about.

If I can click and seem them on Twitter that's better than not seeing them at all, but ...

It’s absolutely horrible on my iPhone. Pages drop and reload and move constantly.
Which browser? Have you tried something other than Safari?

Never really had issues on my phones (Android). But at home I almost exclusively use my laptop regardless.

Yep. Happen to me but I took it as an act of god and let it go.

It is an awful experience trying to read this site on a phone. I agree. I'm glad I'm not alone

No problems on my iphone 15. I do get frequent Cloudflare errors the last couple months on Mac-Chrome, which block me from the message boards

I know everyone’s solution is to do whatever to block ads but if the page isn’t working it shouldn’t be the fault of ads. I don’t think GH has all that many ads for a totally free service that doesn’t sell merch.

Ads are a necessary part of the free internet. If everyone blocks all the ads they can’t complain when their favorite sites and apps have to start charging or shut their door

It would be cool if GH had an ad free paid tier but implementing that takes a good amount of work

I’ve been using the Brave browser on both my iPhone and my laptop. I still get an obscene amount of ads on my laptop, but it’s been remarkably clean on my phone while on the GHole.

I’ve been using the Brave browser on both my iPhone and my laptop. I still get an obscene amount of ads on my laptop, but it’s been remarkably clean on my phone while on the GHole.

Yup. Brave works perfect on my iPhone as well.

I’ve had issues when replying. The screen refreshes and what I’ve typed has vanished. I believe the screen refresh problem started when GH added the Sports Grid feed at the bottom of every thread.

I also found a work around when the text in the reply disappears. Click out of the thread to go to the main topic board like 7 National titles, then click on the thread you were posting on and your reply text should be at the bottom of the thread.

That’s how it’s been working on my iPhone with the latest OS.

Just tried Brave on my Android, 100% improvement over Chrome. You da man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom