Morgan was at practice Sunday

I just think that a conference-wide injury reporting system would put all teams on an even footing, and it would end the need for coaches to play games with injury reporting.

I don't think it's too much to ask that these programs - that earn up to $100-million in revenue, and pay coaches 7- and 8-figure salaries - be honest with the public.

under the current system, when a coach talks about injuries, I don't know whether that coach is lying. I'm simply requesting that coaches be required to tell the truth.
The amount of revenue these programs earn is irrelevant to the discussion. There is simply no reason why you, me, or any other joe schmo watching the game on his couch needs to know someone's medical status.

Except many NFL players are listed as questionable, and for those players you don't know if they are going to be active until 1.5 hours before the game. College really isn't any different.
Yup. Cue every fantasy player waiting for the inactives to be released on Twitter 90 min before kick on Sunday -- not unlike what happens during warm ups of a college game. You guys want and injury report on Morgan? Here you go:

Morgan, Tanner (QB): Questionable, Upper Body (Undisclosed)

The Big Ten should stop playing games with injuries, pass a law that the public has a right to know the status of injuries at once, with continuing reports and frankness as to who will start. Mickey Joseph was honest last week, saying from Sunday on that Thompson, though day to day, probably wouldn't start.
WHY?? What makes you think that you (or me) have a RIGHT to know the status of an injury. Granted it make a difference if you- or I - were betting on the game. But since that doesn’t factor in to my decisions, there isn’t really any reason to talk/announce injury reports.

I just think that a conference-wide injury reporting system would put all teams on an even footing, and it would end the need for coaches to play games with injury reporting.

I don't think it's too much to ask that these programs - that earn up to $100-million in revenue, and pay coaches 7- and 8-figure salaries - be honest with the public.

under the current system, when a coach talks about injuries, I don't know whether that coach is lying. I'm simply requesting that coaches be required to tell the truth.
My kid had to sign a waiver for me to see some of her college records. Why would it be legal for the general public be able to see a college kids medical records?

While we've been over this 1000 times, why does the public have a right to know?

I'm not really on the side of needing to know, but they aren't really amateur athletes anymore. There are going to be some drawbacks that go along with wanting compensation. Just to play Devil's Advocate.

HIPPA is not a thing, HIPAA is. And all HIPAA does is generally prohibit healthcare providers and healthcare businesses from disclosing protected information to anyone other than a patient and the patient's authorized representatives without their consent. The Football team and University are not healthcare providers nor healthcare businesses and thus would not fall under the purview of HIPAA.

As far as I am aware, there is nothing blocking the B1G from instituting a similar consent policy to the NFL and make sharing your health info with the university you play for a requirement of being rostered. Also, HIPAA only applies to the healthcare provider sharing the data and does not apply in any way to something that required the players themselves to disclose the info.
I can’t imagine of all things B1G makes their players look even MORE like employees by enforcing this just for fan service…. and would then have a situation where other conferences do NOT require it.

My kid had to sign a waiver for me to see some of her college records. Why would it be legal for the general public be able to see a college kids medical records?
Saying he has a concussion isn't releasing his medical records.

Or saying he's out due to upper body injury

HIPPA is not a thing, HIPAA is. And all HIPAA does is generally prohibit healthcare providers and healthcare businesses from disclosing protected information to anyone other than a patient and the patient's authorized representatives without their consent. The Football team and University are not healthcare providers nor healthcare businesses and thus would not fall under the purview of HIPAA.

As far as I am aware, there is nothing blocking the B1G from instituting a similar consent policy to the NFL and make sharing your health info with the university you play for a requirement of being rostered. Also, HIPAA only applies to the healthcare provider sharing the data and does not apply in any way to something that required the players themselves to disclose the info.
Amazing how many people cite HIPAA don't even know what it is, what it covers, etc

If I'm a gambler, I have a right to know someone else's medical situation.

If I'm not a gambler, do I have that same right? Or, is that right a special right that only applies to gamblers?

I can’t imagine of all things B1G makes their players look even MORE like employees by enforcing this just for fan service…. and would then have a situation where other conferences do NOT require it.
Right, is it likely they do it? No. Is it illegal for them to do it due to a federal law? Also no.

Right, is it likely they do it? No. Is it illegal for them to do it due to a federal law? Also no.
That last part is debatable IMO.

The B1G can set rules, but they’re not unlimited and I have trouble seeing how they would argue it in court they they can require it…. and someone would challenge it for sure.

Amazing how many people cite HIPAA don't even know what it is, what it covers
Just read what the statement says that you are quoting. "the university is not a healthcare provider" That statement is false, especially for athletes on the Gopher teams. Also, the diagnosis of what the health condition is of all athletes on all the teams at the university is given by a healthcare professional working for the university. I think HIPAA was properly used here.

Yup. Cue every fantasy player waiting for the inactives to be released on Twitter 90 min before kick on Sunday -- not unlike what happens during warm ups of a college game. You guys want and injury report on Morgan? Here you go:

Morgan, Tanner (QB): Questionable, Upper Body (Undisclosed)
What I really don't get is why this topic has to come up with every single injury. Think people would just accept the fact that college coaches are not going to disclose injury info because they are not (and should not) be required to.

But if a requirement were put in you would get exactly what you listed above which would essentially tell you absolutely nothing that you didn't already know but would satisfy the requirements of the injury report.

Those feeling entitled to a detailed breakdown on the injury status of all players are living in a fantasy world.

Just read what the statement says that you are quoting. "the university is not a healthcare provider" That statement is false, especially for athletes on the Gopher teams. Also, the diagnosis of what the health condition is of all athletes on all the teams at the university is given by a healthcare professional working for the university. I think HIPAA was properly used here.
It was not.

HIPAA is not the major road block here

It was not.

HIPAA is not the major road block here
I just have little sympathy for gamblers demanding injury reports. Just don't gamble if it's a problem. Or bet on something else.

I just have little sympathy for gamblers demanding injury reports. Just don't gamble if it's a problem. Or bet on something else.
I don't disagree, I'm just saying it isn't a HIPAA issue

PJ saying Morgan has an upper body injury isn't violating HIPAA

I don't disagree, I'm just saying it isn't a HIPAA issue

PJ saying Morgan has an upper body injury isn't violating HIPAA
Sure, but could it be violating data privacy laws/policies for students? I would imagine universities are pretty limited in the information they can share to the public about their students.

Sure, but could it be violating data privacy laws/policies for students? I would imagine universities are pretty limited in the information they can share to the public about their students.
They have rights under FERPA and HIPAA

and the University can have them sign partial waiver of those rights to get access to athletic facilities and part of scholarship. It's how we know Mo tore his Achilles

There is a way around everything and U knows what they're doing.

They have rights under FERPA and HIPAA

and the University can have them sign partial waiver of those rights to get access to athletic facilities and part of scholarship. It's how we know Mo tore his Achilles

There is a way around everything and U knows what they're doing.
I don't think we're disagreeing. Like you said, the U knows what they're doing. It would be silly of them to require their athletes to sign a privacy waiver so that we can give out injury details for the benefit of gamblers and the opposing teams. There's no benefit to it.

WHY?? What makes you think that you (or me) have a RIGHT to know the status of an injury. Granted it make a difference if you- or I - were betting on the game. But since that doesn’t factor in to my decisions, there isn’t really any reason to talk/announce injury reports.

I do gamble from time to time and I still don't think we are owed any info unless the player chooses to release it.

Because the university isn't, "M Health Fairview" is a healthcare provider that is part of the university, but that does not make the university itself a healthcare provider. "M Health Fairview" is beholden to HIPAA, but the University isn't.

Seriously, the whole idea that because I enjoy a sport that now I have a “right” to some player’s health info is BONKERS.
Nobody is asking for the details of their health. Just whether or not they’re playing football games.

Top Bottom