Votes: 8 4.7%
  • I'm a Minnesotan and don't/won't use "Minny" to identify MN sports teams

Votes: 147 86.5%
  • I'm a non Minnesotan and often use the term "Minny"

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I'm a non Minnesotan and don't use "Minny"

Votes: 13 7.6%

• Total voters
I have seen this term used for years by people in chat groups, ESPN comments section, blogs, boards, etc. etc. I find it interesting because Philadelphia Eagles fans will refer to a game with "Minny" (Vikings) in the same way an Ohio State fan will refer to a trip to "Minny" to play the gophers. Somehow it is pretty universal outside of MN despite not being used really at all in MN.

I think Indianapolis people refer to their city as "Indy," don't they?

Admittedly, I use the term Minny, but only when referencing the Twins. Maybe it is a Minnie and Paul thing. Guess that shows I have a Minneapolis bias, which is odd, since I like St. Paul better.

On a related note apparently people from San Francisco detest the term "San Fran".

Never used it before, but after reading this thread I find it kind of catchy.
Go Minny! Go Gophers! Go Minny Gophers!

Similar to people online calling Wisconsin “Wiscy”, growing up in Wisconsin I don’t think I’ve ever heard Badger fans say it themselves
Do they say Becky Badger?

I only lived in Lincoln Park for a short time, but I really hated the term "Chicagoland". I think real Chicago people might not like that term much either.
As a follow up a lot of fellow students back in college at a very mediocre large Catholic institution, a very long time ago, used to claim to be "from Chicago". It turns out most were from almost rural outposts far from the 'hood, or at best Shaumburg or Joliet.

Once we got to pickup basketball in the fieldhouse we knew differently, as they were some of the stiffest, wooden, vertically challenged players from "Chicago" I ever met. Hell us simple rural MN guys were doing jump stops, (some still wore short shorts)..... not me... long time ago..) "eurosteps", and finger rolls on these guys like they never saw before. Chicago, sure

Last edited:

Agreed. I think it might be like "San Fran" in that outsiders use it 99% more than locals.
I lived in San Francisco for a number of years. What the locals there detest even more is when outsiders use the term, "Frisco".

Usually see the term used as a shorthand nickname ending in a "y."

It's more disrespectful usage ends with "ie" and seems to occur more within the B1G fanbase than elsewhere. For example, in the last 2 bowl games both Auburn and GT fanboards would often refer to the Gophers as "Minny."

I'm not a native Minnesotan and don't use it myself. Not particularly offended by it either.

FWIW, I haven’t noticed it’s use in years. I suspect it’s largely employed in text and rarely verbally. Users of social media, message boards, etc, typically default to brevity.
Anyways, I’m not teed up on this one, so maybe my ears aren’t picking it up like some of you.

Native Minnesotan who lived in New York for many years. I find Minny annoying but also "The Cities" for the Twin Cities and really hate "The Metro" to refer to the Minneapolis-St. Paul Metropolitan Area.

Native Minnesotan who lived in New York for many years. I find Minny annoying but also "The Cities" for the Twin Cities and really hate "The Metro" to refer to the Minneapolis-St. Paul Metropolitan Area.
love it or hate it, "The Cities" is the term used by nearly everyone from Minnesota living outside of the Twin City Metro area. I occasionally hear "The Metro" too. That is where the big difference is. Those terms are used by most outstate Minnesotans. I haven't really found anyone from anywhere in Minnesota that refers to Minnesota as "Minny."

You and five others that think it is cool

I remember the first time I saw the term was when a NY headline writer used it after the Knoblauch/Yankees hot dog pelting incident at the Metrodome. “Maniacs in Minny drive Knob to cover”. Here’s the news report from May 3, 2001.

I figured the NY media is responsible for coining it and it eventually migrated to opposing fanbases. I don’t think Minnesotans ever referred to our place that way. And for the record I don’t mind it, doesn’t bother me.

I remember the first time I saw the term was when a NY headline writer used it after the Knoblauch/Yankees hot dog pelting incident at the Metrodome. “Maniacs in Minny drive Knob to cover”.

I was at that game. One of the funniest sports memories of my life.

As for "The Cities" I'd never heard that until I went to college in Moorhead. People from outstate and the Dakotas always call it that.

In fact, my wife and I are heading north from Rochester to "The Cities" this weekend. (been calling it "The Cities" for decades)

Sports fans never refer to their own teams by the place name, so of course we have no use for the short version in that context.

We use "Minny" all the time at work (on-demand local delivery), but it always refers to Minneapolis and is usually preceded by a specific area - North Minny, South Minny, Downtown Minny.

When outstate folk say "the Cities", they're usually talking about places like Eden Prairie or Blaine.

Some of you might be surprised by the number of Americans who think Minnesota is a city. I also hear "Mindianapolis" a lot.

I only lived in Lincoln Park for a short time, but I really hated the term "Chicagoland". I think real Chicago people might not like that term much either.
Have worked with many from Chicago and they routinely call it Chicagoland.

Except for 5 years in the 80's (when I lived in EP) I have lived Outstate. None of us Outstate folk think of your fancy suburbs exclusively as the Cities. We consider all of the metro as the Cities.
We also hate the term Greater Minesota.

Top Bottom