Votes: 8 4.7%
  • I'm a Minnesotan and don't/won't use "Minny" to identify MN sports teams

Votes: 147 86.5%
  • I'm a non Minnesotan and often use the term "Minny"

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I'm a non Minnesotan and don't use "Minny"

Votes: 13 7.6%

• Total voters
Except for 5 years in the 80's (when I lived in EP) I have lived Outstate. None of us Outstate folk think of your fancy suburbs exclusively as the Cities. We consider all of the metro as the Cities.
We also hate the term Greater Minesota.
I agree with you on "Greater Minnesota" instead of "outstate". "Greater Minnesota" and "The Metro" seem to both have come into usage by politicians and tv news people while I lived away from Minnesota.

Except for 5 years in the 80's (when I lived in EP) I have lived Outstate. None of us Outstate folk think of your fancy suburbs exclusively as the Cities. We consider all of the metro as the Cities.
We also hate the term Greater Minesota.
Just don't call us citiots.

Sometime in the 80’s Minneapolis had an advertising campaign to portray the city as a smaller New York City with the arts, great food, pro sports, etc. They came up with Minneapple.
67666D8C-BEFB-4255-85B4-53AA58133088.jpeg

You're referred to as "Citiots" in the Brainerd Lakes, Cross Lake area.
That's the only place I've ever heard the term. My friend kind of moved to his cabin in Crosby (long strange story). When I've gone up to visit, I've heard the term quite often, but nowhere else.

When outstate folk say "the Cities", they're usually talking about places like Eden Prairie or Blaine.

It is fairly straight forward - "the Cities" are pretty much everything from Chaska to White Bear Lake and/or Maple Grove to Hastings.

And, the term is used all over outstate MN. Everyone knows what you are talking about when you say you need to drive to the cities to pick up your uncle at the airport, or the general location all day yesterday when your neighbor was shopping in the cities.

The term isn't new, either. It has been the definitive description of the Twin Cities Metro for outstate Minnesotans back to the dawn of my memory (and my memory goes back farther than I care to admit).

You're referred to as "Citiots" in the Brainerd Lakes, Cross Lake area.

Those in the Brainerd Lakes area also refer to themselves as being "up north".... Those of us from "true" Northern Minnesota are aware that you are in Central Minnesota, and we don't even hit the brakes when passing through to get "north". So, their intellect is in question from the get - go.

I use the term Minny; mostly on social media with a national audience. I don't know why.

FWIW. My college-aged daughter's Texas friends call her 'Sota'. I doubt they've ever heard the term 'Minny'.

Top Bottom