• I'm a non Minnesotan and often use the term "Minny"

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I'm a non Minnesotan and don't use "Minny"

Votes: 13 7.6%

• Total voters

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
I see the term "Minny" used by sports fans on twitter or message boards all the time. But, I rarely see the term "Minny" used by native Minnesotans. What best describes your relationship with this term?

I don't see it as a derogatory thing or a term that anyone uses to get under a Minnesotan's skin. However, it does seem to be pretty consistent where Minnesotans do NOT use the term and those outside the state do commonly use it when talking about any MN sports team (Gophers, Vikings, Twins, Wild, Timberwolves, etc.).

Hate the term. I first remember hearing it during NHL on NBC. Seems the commentators and studio hosts would always refer to the Wild that way. I've heard it more often since - it's dumb.

Hate the term. I first remember hearing it during NHL on NBC. Seems the commentators and studio hosts would always refer to the Wild that way. I've heard it more often since - it's dumb.

Yes, it is also my opinion that the term was sparked north of the border by our Canadian neighbors, a hockey fan / broadcaster term.

I’ve only seen non-Minnesotans use the term. I just assumed it was because they don’t know how to spell Minnesota.

I'm sure I've used it a few times over the years, probably trying to be ironic, but definitely not something I say commonly.

Similar to people online calling Wisconsin “Wiscy”, growing up in Wisconsin I don’t think I’ve ever heard Badger fans say it themselves

There seen to be a lot of these cute little monikers being thrown around lately...

I was streaming some show during the last week and Albuquerque, NM was being referred to as "Querque".... Ridiculous. Some people are simply trying too hard.

Similar to people online calling Wisconsin “Wiscy”, growing up in Wisconsin I don’t think I’ve ever heard Badger fans say it themselves

I've always used sconnie

And I don't use Minny.

I’ve only seen non-Minnesotans use the term. I just assumed it was because they don’t know how to spell Minnesota.

I figure it's either that or they're just to lazy to actually write the full name...

I use 'Sconnie' all the time, and the meaning I'm trying to convey is 100% derogatory.

EDIT: and while I have no official history of that term, in my mind it comes from the absolutely awful nasal accent that Sconnie's put on the second syllable of 'Wisconsin'. The stereotypical Sconnie accent is orders of magnitude worse than the stereotypical Minnesota accent.

..also, I always spelled It Sconi, but from above, I see Sconnie which makes better phonetic sense, so I'll go with that from now on.

Last edited:

I don't ever use it. Most of the time I just call the teams by their names/nicknames, Wild, Wolves, Vikes, Loons, Gophers. Most of the time with Minny I hear it from those outside of the state.

Minny doesn’t bother me much. I don’t use it. But what does bother me is to see it spelled some other way Minnie etc.

I don't love it. But I have to be honest here... I also don't like the word 'Gophers'. I mean I like Goldy and all but being out of the state it feels corny every time I say it.

I don't use it all the time, but I do use it, doesn't bother me in the least. Not in the least. Why would it?

Mpls is referred to, in a positive way, as the Minne-Apple.

Samuel's often go by Sammy. Thomas' often go by Tommy. One of our best cfb products went by Biggie. So why would Minny have to have to be a negative?

I also use the term Wiscy or Wisco occasionally. But I often call them the Wiscon-SIN BAD-gers. lol

I've used Nebby almost never, but might in the future? But I most often just write it as UMn, Neb & UW/Wisc.

Knowing sports fans the way I do. If you allow them to get under your skin by getting rubbed the wrong way if they used terms like Minny or Goofers, then they win. So I almost always steal their thunder before they get the chance, and try to be the first to use those terms about my own team. THEN, when the Gophers beat their team, it makes the pain of their losing even worse, because they lost to a team of Minny Goofers, lol. Then I change it up and use terms like Mighty Golden Gods of the Gridiron, and post a video of the Caddyshack Gopher dancing, lol.

As for the pro teams? lol When they ever EARN it, I'll stop calling them the Twinkies, T-Pups, Vi-Queens and the Minnesota Mild.

I will never use it myself but I don't really consider it offensive or anything when others do.

What about Minny and Paul at Target field? Of course the Minny is for MPLS.minnypaul.JPG

Last edited:

Very commonly used by Winnipeggers as short form for Minneapolis (to Winnipeggers the whole metro is just called Minneapolis). If someone says they are going to Minny for the weekend, it is the city not the state.

Top Bottom