***MINNESOTA VS OKLAHOMA STATE IN TULSA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Right now, this is a much better team than I thought just a few weeks ago. Oturu is playing like all Big Ten and he is doing it every game now. Kalscheur and Carr have shown that they can score big on a given night. Willis is solid and Demir is starting to look better. Williams is coming along and Hurt is giving solid minutes as is Omersa. They are sharing the ball and playing good defense. They block our on the defensive boards very well. This is a fun team to watch and when they shoot well, they can play with anyone.

Next step forward: clean up the turnovers.
It feels like every turnover today was a charging call. A couple of which were questionable. But Omersa and Oturu don't realize their own strength sometimes.

So what am I supposed to do with this season now???

I either want:
- the Gophers to be solidly in the top 5 of the Big Ten, earning an NCAA bid and a nice seed
OR
- the Gophers to play poorly enough to get Pitino fired, so that a new coach could be brought in with a new hope

It seemed they were well on their way to the latter. But suddenly, now this.

I'm worry that this won't end up resulting in the former. Rather, that they'll end up playing poorly enough to not have any post-season or make it to a low level tourny, but well enough that Pitino doesn't get fired. That's the worst outcome, IMO.

I either want:
- the Gophers to be solidly in the top 5 of the Big Ten, earning an NCAA bid and a nice seed
OR
- the Gophers to play poorly enough to get Pitino fired, so that a new coach could be brought in with a new hope

I'm worry that this won't end up resulting in the former. Rather, that they'll end up playing poorly enough to not have any post-season or make it to a low level tourny, but well enough that Pitino doesn't get fired. That's the worst outcome, IMO.
Cheer for them to win the conference and get to the final 4, then win the conference again next year then we will know we have a special coach.

Cheer for them to win the conference and get to the final 4, then win the conference again next year then we will know we have a special coach.
But what about when they finish poor enough to have no post-season, but well enough that Pitino isn't fired?

But what about when they finish poor enough to have no post-season, but well enough that Pitino isn't fired?
You need some real problems to worry about.
A thing that really impressed me about these last few weeks is the way this team shook off the Iowa loss. Credit has to go to the coach for keeping them invested and resilient.
As Built said, try hoping we do extremely well. It’s more fun.

We weren’t able to watch the game - what was the Oturu technical about?

I either want:
OR

If Coyle doesn't feel the program is in an upward spiral he will move on no matter the record. Otherwise what a bad way to watch and cheer on a team. Should never hope for them to lose or be bad.

I was at work, so I only saw bits of the game.

This is an odd team. When they are good, they are really good. and when they are bad, they stink to high heaven. I suspect the truth is somewhere in-between.

It seems that the key to this team is 3-point shooting. when they make 3's, they look like a different team. is that sustainable over a full season? We'll see. Going forward, they need to come up with some sets and plays they can execute on the nights when the 3's are not falling. And I still think they need more production from the bench.

Should never hope for them to lose or be bad.
But that's not true or correct. I pre-empted that sentiment.

As I said, if you gave me the option of the team finishing in the top 5 of the Big Ten with a solid seed in the NCAAT, I would take that, even though it means Pitino keeping his job.

Simply, I fear that will not be the case. I fear the worst outcome: a relatively bad season and Pitino keeping his job.

But that's not true or correct. I pre-empted that sentiment.

In NCAA sports there is no benefit to losing ever.

As I said, if you gave me the option of the team finishing in the top 5 of the Big Ten with a solid seed in the NCAAT, I would take that, even though it means Pitino keeping his job.

Simply, I fear that will not be the case. I fear the worst outcome: a relatively bad season and Pitino keeping his job.

This is on Coyle. He won't care how many wins they get this year if he feels the program isn't in an upward projection. I trust our AD to make that decision.

In NCAA sports there is no benefit to losing ever.
You know that is not correct. If losing gets you a new coach who turns out to be one of the best coaches in the history of the program, then it was a benefit. Don't see how it can be argued otherwise.

I was at work, so I only saw bits of the game.

This is an odd team. When they are good, they are really good. and when they are bad, they stink to high heaven. I suspect the truth is somewhere in-between.

It seems that the key to this team is 3-point shooting. when they make 3's, they look like a different team. is that sustainable over a full season? We'll see. Going forward, they need to come up with some sets and plays they can execute on the nights when the 3's are not falling. And I still think they need more production from the bench.
This is the key to 95-99% of teams at the college or pro level given the sharp rise of analytics in the past decade...

You know that is not correct. If losing gets you a new coach who turns out to be one of the best coaches in the history of the program, then it was a benefit. Don't see how it can be argued otherwise.

I get your point in not wanting to be a middling program. Losing makes the decision easier for the AD, but godd and competent ADs do not care about one seasons win loss record. They evaluate the whole state of the program. Even the clown show Teague was able to fire our previous coach after a tourney birth and win. Happens all the time and it's on Coyle to evaluate what he feels the trajectory of the program is. All losing will do is create a larger hole in revenue which isn't positive.

It feels like every turnover today was a charging call. A couple of which were questionable. But Omersa and Oturu don't realize their own strength sometimes.
The one they called on Oturu was terrible. It should have been a play on.

I get your point in not wanting to be a middling program. Losing makes the decision easier for the AD, but godd and competent ADs do not care about one seasons win loss record. They evaluate the whole state of the program. Even the clown show Teague was able to fire our previous coach after a tourney birth and win. Happens all the time and it's on Coyle to evaluate what he feels the trajectory of the program is. All losing will do is create a larger hole in revenue which isn't positive.
Your answer is probably correct on paper ... but I just don't trust it to turn out that way, at least not as easily, without some "help". Sue me. :cool:

Solid win and great to see Gabe heat up! That being said, that last 7 minutes is why I'm not a big Pitino guy; that stuff seems to happen several times a year- basically playing not to lose.

Maybe this squad can get on a little roll now and finish .500 or better in B10. Demir and Carr are better than I've given credit.
Great win! Oklahoma state made their only run of the night when they were down 30 and the game out of reach. Dont lose sleep over a meaningless run by oklahoma state!

We weren’t able to watch the game - what was the Oturu technical about?

Here's a clip of it. It was extremely weak. Announcers speculated that maybe he said something but the ref that called it was at the bottom of the screen and not in earshot. Seems like the ref was just inserting himself in the game.

eg#9 needs to come in here and take a big massive dump on the program. Been about a week or two.

He used to do very logical write ups after wins. Been a while, miss those.

Yes, fans see what they want, that is part of being a fan. I choose to look at the whole body of work, titles won and still stay focused on the season at hand. Some will be happy with the best team on paper theory , one 4 th place conference finish or simply being the best team here in awhile. I have zero problem with that. Hell i have friends who watch just to be entertained and could care less who wins ! Well it is just entertainment to them. I am at the other end of the spectrum thinking coaches should win conference titles but certainly do not that my view is any better than any fan that has their own standard.

I see a team that has been in the dance 2 out of last 3 years and most likely 3 years in a row with multiple tourney wins if not for all player games lost in 2017-2018. I see a coach of the year award - which I dont discount. I see players sticking with and playing hard for coach even through some difficult situations at times. I see teams that improve as the season goes on. I see a coach impress by exceeding all expectation 2016-2017 and without a point guard figuring out how to beat a
very strong acc team to get to round of 32 2018-2019.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but in my opinion the situation calls for more nuance than a win-loss record. Will admit I have concerns about recruiting recently, but count me impressed by the last 3 seasons.
That said, if Coyle feels he has a slam dunk, have no problem with him making a move - just dont think there are a lot of slam dunks out there.

Last edited:

Here's a clip of it. It was extremely weak. Announcers speculated that maybe he said something but the ref that called it was at the bottom of the screen and not in earshot. Seems like the ref was just inserting himself in the game.

It was nothing. He said and one and looked at the player. Something that occurs at least once in any basketball game.

There isn't much "middle" result to worry about. 18 + wins, we make the NCAA's and went at least 11-9 in the B1G. Less than 15-15 and it's easy to justify moving on.

Thanks for sharing the clip. Not sure Oturu has an actual mean face!

We need more schools called “OSU” on the schedule. As long as Carr and Gabe don’t go cold at the same time like they did in the Iowa game looks like this team will be good

Wasn't able to watch the game until today, but this was a very nice follow up to the big win. Demir is a mature player that can do a lot of things. He would have been nice off the bench last season as well. I don't think anyone here expected a NCAA tourney team this year, but I will be happy as long as the team shows that it is playing better defense and improving as the season goes along.

awesome game to watch! man we shot lights out.

nit picking here....but with us in control basically the entire 2nd half....I wish we would have seen more of Ihnen and gotten Greenlee & Freeman some run

no let down now against FIU and lets keep it rolling in big ten play!

I love this gopher team. But I totally agree whats with such a short bench in an early 2nd half blowout? Ihnen, Greenlee, and Freeman need some PT!

He should have blown the whistle and given him a warning to knock it off. It was pretty tame but if a player continues to do things like that after a warning, then they deserve a T.

You have to get over your obsession with having Pitino fired. How can you have so much optimism in a "new coach" but be so pessimistic about how your team will play?

As others have stated, you have to trust the AD will make a change if he doesn't see progress (and he is looking at it differently than the "overall conference record"). Remember, this AD fired the football coach after a winning season. Just leave the coach selection to the AD and enjoy watching you team play!

I love this gopher team. But I totally agree whats with such a short bench in an early 2nd half blowout? Ihnen, Greenlee, and Freeman need some PT!

Agree would've been nice to play the bench, but wonder if efficiency (net ranking) concerns play into the decision. If anticipate being a bubble team, hard to see how efficiency wouldn't be a concern.

Top Bottom