***MINNESOTA VS OKLAHOMA STATE IN TULSA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Agree with the last few posts, early on we couldnt throw it in the ocean and looked awful, now 2 games in a row we can miss and look awesome. Truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

But I will also say I've been one way down on Hurt and Demir, the last few they have been solid. Heres hoping we can keep this rolling!

Great to tune and and see us up big - again!! So another decisive victory over OSU.

Solid win and great to see Gabe heat up! That being said, that last 7 minutes is why I'm not a big Pitino guy; that stuff seems to happen several times a year- basically playing not to lose.

Maybe this squad can get on a little roll now and finish .500 or better in B10. Demir and Carr are better than I've given credit.

Sure, the turnovers and shooting are frustrating, but it is really nice to see the 7 assists and 6 rebounds, that even when he's having an "off" game, he still finds ways to contribute

I thought Carr played a great game, a couple of bad turnovers but the good really overshadowed that.

Up to 44 on Kenpom. Lots of opportunities to come. It will be an interesting year.

Oklahoma State's defense was porous, which certainly helped us. However, we took advantage and also kept the intensity on defense that we saw against ohio.
It does seem that something has clicked. We'll see how it goes from here. It's a long B1G season.

Solid win and great to see Gabe heat up! That being said, that last 7 minutes is why I'm not a big Pitino guy; that stuff seems to happen several times a year- basically playing not to lose.

Maybe this squad can get on a little roll now and finish .500 or better in B10. Demir and Carr are better than I've given credit.

Ummm they won by 20. Away from home against a Top 40 NET team. So youre upset they didn't win by 28?

Ummm they won by 20. Away from home against a Top 40 NET team. So youre upset they didn't win by 28?
Uh, up by 29 and lead cut to 14 in 5 minute stretch. Didn't watch the game, eh?
Like I said- solid win and hope we get on a roll.

Are you still predicting 4 or 5 conference wins as you did in a previous post or has your prediction changed?

Oklahoma State's defense was porous, which certainly helped us. However, we took advantage and also kept the intensity on defense that we saw against ohio.
It does seem that something has clicked. We'll see how it goes from here. It's a long B1G season.

Nobody should be calling for a Pitino extension after the last two games but it has been nice to see. As you say, it's a long season. Likely many highs and lows. The we'll see how it goes from here approach is probably the right approach whether they win or lose. Not cautious optimism when they win and meltdown mode when they lose. (not directed at you)

I watched the game, Eeyore. It must be hard living in constant darkness

If your happy with that pesky .360 B10 win record 7 years under Pitino, I don't know what to tell you.
Hoping for the best, expecting the worst- MN sports.

If your happy with that pesky .360 B10 win record 7 years under Pitino, I don't know what to tell you.

I'm happy with two very convincing quality wins in a row. I'm not going to hope for or expect the Gophers to lose because our coach doesn't have a good B10 winning %. Live in the moment, it's much more fun.

Sounds like more of a life philosophy to me.

How about this: NCAA tourney 2 of the last three years; with the intervening team being the best team on paper in the last 20 years until unforeseen roster implosion.

Right now, this is a much better team than I thought just a few weeks ago. Oturu is playing like all Big Ten and he is doing it every game now. Kalscheur and Carr have shown that they can score big on a given night. Willis is solid and Demir is starting to look better. Williams is coming along and Hurt is giving solid minutes as is Omersa. They are sharing the ball and playing good defense. They block our on the defensive boards very well. This is a fun team to watch and when they shoot well, they can play with anyone.

Next step forward: clean up the turnovers.

Last edited:

That was an exciting game to watch. No letdown after the Ohio state win, and good intensity on both ends of the floor. This team has a chance to make some noise in the B1G yet.

Another solid win, players are improving and appear to be overachieving, team is coming together, coaching looks solid except he needs to work on a better game plan for when they are up by 29 LOL. Ohio State beat Kentucky today making last weeks win look even better, This is fun stuff. You really here to complain?

It is actually ~36.6%. If we were to run the table in the big ten this year it would only increase it to 45.3%. In the unlikely even that were to happen I have this vision of LesBolstad angrily throwing half drunk cans of beer at an old school TV in an ice house somewhere because a bunch of wins this year doesn't make up for the poor 8 year percentage. Pitino must pay for his past sins somehow...

Let it go Les and have fun.

Sounds like more of a life philosophy to me.

How about this: NCAA tourney 2 of the last three years; with the intervening team being the best team on paper in the last 20 years until unforeseen roster implosion.
Yes, fans see what they want, that is part of being a fan. I choose to look at the whole body of work, titles won and still stay focused on the season at hand. Some will be happy with the best team on paper theory , one 4 th place conference finish or simply being the best team here in awhile. I have zero problem with that. Hell i have friends who watch just to be entertained and could care less who wins ! Well it is just entertainment to them. I am at the other end of the spectrum thinking coaches should win conference titles but certainly do not that my view is any better than any fan that has their own standard.

Another solid win, players are improving and appear to be overachieving, team is coming together, coaching looks solid except he needs to work on a better game plan for when they are up by 29 LOL. Ohio State beat Kentucky today making last weeks win look even better, This is fun stuff. You really here to complain?

It is actually ~36.6%. If we were to run the table in the big ten this year it would only increase it to 45.3%. In the unlikely even that were to happen I have this vision of LesBolstad angrily throwing half drunk cans of beer at an old school TV in an ice house somewhere because a bunch of wins this year doesn't make up for the poor 8 year percentage. Pitino must pay for his past sins somehow...

Let it go Les and have fun.
That would be awesome to be 19-1 in the conference ! Hell, i put in writing 13-7 before the season.

Maybe it's because the arena is empty but man are Ok State fans booing alot at nothing. Maybe you should redirect your boos for even getting down by 29.
OK St’s benched really reacted when they thought Oturu’s block was goaltending. Replay showed it was clearly a good block. There was a fan at the bottom right of the TV screen that was screaming bloody murder at the refs for what seemed like a solid minute. It was quite comical.

coaches look great when kids are shooting lights out and work on D. I never rip the coach for poor shooting you need to be able to see past that when evaluating a staff...most people cannot
I was wrong about Pitino’s course regarding playing time. He sees these guys everyday.
But it was not just shooting versus Iowa. We were lazy. Our transition defense was pitiful.
Our decisions, our offensive movement, our defensive intensity, were all woeful. So, it was not just shooting!
Last four halves we look like a tournament team!
Fun to watch!

Do you have any idea how good you have to be to just keep widening the lead versus a quality opponent?
Yes, human nature took over. How many times has this team, not Pitino, this team been in that position against a good team?
The impressive thing was OKST got it to 10 or whatever and we said no, no and won by 20 versus winning by 4!

That would be awesome to be 19-1 in the conference ! Hell, i put in writing 13-7 before the season.
If they go 19 and 1 Pitino needs a statue outside Williams and you lobbying your full time efforts that he gets a lifetime contract.

Yes, fans see what they want, that is part of being a fan. I choose to look at the whole body of work, titles won and still stay focused on the season at hand. Some will be happy with the best team on paper theory , one 4 th place conference finish or simply being the best team here in awhile. I have zero problem with that. Hell i have friends who watch just to be entertained and could care less who wins ! Well it is just entertainment to them. I am at the other end of the spectrum thinking coaches should win conference titles but certainly do not that my view is any better than any fan that has their own standard.

Coaches should win conference titles and Minnesota deserves to have some good years but the fact is that they don't hand them out to everyone who participates - I assume all the fans at all the schools want their coach to win the title

Trajectory is more important for a program that is trying to overcome the past malaise. The program has been on the upswing for the last 3 years (yes including the lynch and injury debacle) and as long as it continues to build momentum there is no reason to make a change. At the end of this season I could change my mind but prefer to let the season play out rather than making judgments after each game. This could be Pitino's best team yet.

Pitino has had some bad years. He has had some solid years. Maybe 1 good year. Certainly the program he inherited and some bad luck have hurt him. This is true for almost every coach though.

I enjoy watching this team play. They gave up 72 points to Iowa. Three guys shot horrible and they had no chance. But 72 points isn’t the issue, it was their shooting.

Top Bottom