Minnesota kids you really enjoyed watching

Sam Jacobson
Khalid El-Amin
Troy Bell
Jibrahn Ike
Darius Lane
Joel Przybilla
Shane Schilling
Paul Martin (i know i know - but was really special as a youth player)
Jake Sullivan
Tony Travis
Johnny Gilbert
Lawrence McKenzie
Rick Rickert
Rodney Williams III
Jordair Jett
Royce White
Trent Lockett
Jordan Taylor
Shaun Jensen
Quinton Hooker
Tyus Jones
Jalen Suggs

I loved Quinton Hooker. I should've had him on my list for sure.

Ricky Suggs ,Ben Coleman,Greg Downing. Most dominant player Randy Breuer runner ups Brett McNeal and Jake Sullivan.

I really enjoyed watching Coffey shut down an dominate in the MSHL tourney that over-rated kid Gary Trent IV Jr. that went to Duke who has not done squat in the NBA.

For some reason, Apple Valley HS basketball rubs me the wrong way. (and Duke really sucks as well)

I really enjoyed watching Coffey shut down an dominate in the MSHL tourney that over-rated kid Gary Trent IV Jr. that went to Duke who has not done squat in the NBA.

For some reason, Apple Valley HS basketball rubs me the wrong way. (and Duke really sucks as well)
Gary Trent Jr. Is/was having a really good season right now on the blazers. What rubs me the wrong way was him going to prep school in Cali and dipping on Tre and Apple Valley. He was already a 5 star in MN, not sure if going to Cali got him to Duke.

Trent is quite clearly a better player than Coffey despite Coffey being a year older.

Lots of really good names mentioned so far.

Loved watching El-Amin play. Probably best I've seen to this day. Not only the best player but leader too and so clutch.

Watching Roosevelt in the early 90's was fun with John Thomas, BeBop Walker (Nebraska Omaha), and Robert Mestas (Miami, Ohio)

Jason Daisy from Minneapolis South (fantastic career at N. Iowa) Remember a crazy 360 dunk against either Southwest or Washburn.

Prentis Perkins from Henry. Probably best pure scorer I remember watching back in the day.

Mpls Roosevelt had a fun team to watch with a dude named Tex Philips and a 6-6 forward named Wayne Charles. One of the most underrated guys to come out of the state was Aaron Mittendorf out of Caledonia. Dropped 50 plus against Ben Johnson and Delasalle in state championship game Remember as a kid watching my first state tournament games. Elmer Bailey at St Paul Mechanic Arts and Percy Wade at Delasalle Saw Steve Lingenfelter school the great Kevin Mchale in big schools championship.

Love this thread!

I was a good defender in HS, so I had to guard a lot of absolute studs. Just wanted to mention the guys from my era.

I owe my defensive ability to guarding Joel McDonald and Nick Jensrud for years in Hibbing. 2 guys that were automatic anywhere inside half court. Joel was my coach and Nick my teammate. Joel scrimmaged with his players year round in practice and in open gyms. I could take 1 step and slam it 2 feet 2 hands, and yet, I'd be fully contesting them out at half court, draped all over them like a blanket, and they would hit it in my face over and over and over again. Jensrud is one of the greatest players you never heard of. Not just a shooter. Dribbled the ball on a string, drove it to the rack and finished over bigs, and was a 1 man fast break that never needed a sub. PG John Chimento would hit him in stride with 3/4 court baseball bounce passes our Sr year in Nashwauk. It was beautiful. Nick was a complete player.

My job was to guard the best player, regardless of position, every game. This is a list of absolute studs:

Corey Johnson - Duluth East. The one player I was helpless against. 6'7" athletic freak that can shoot. At 6'1" I was helpless guarding him on the perimeter.

Eric Webb - Grand Rapids. Magician with the ball.

Will Turner - Tartan. Fearless guard.

Zack Mills (I think that was his name) - Menahga. Athletic freak.

Brandon Smith - Patrick Henry. We were running a 1 on 1 post drill at the Howard Pulley tryout. I was on D. I stuffed it back in his face 3 times. But then he dunked the **** out of it and screamed in my face the 4th time. He was a beast.

My Sr. year in Nashwauk I played center of the 2-3 zone, so I didn't match up with anyone exclusively. But I saw a ton of studs that year, too:

Steve Jamnick - Tower Sudan. 7' center. Also his teammate Josh Quick was a 2,000+ point scorer. Playing in 7A semifinals and finals that year felt like a state championship game with Barnum also really strong. 2 juggernauts just in our section.

Bret Brielmaier - Mankato Loyola. 6'7" center at that time was the 3rd all time leading rebounder in MN. Teammates Truc and Trung Ho were incredible guards for that team as well. Chimento and Truc Ho led the state in assists in the 03-04 season. I joke that I "held" Breilmaier to 19 points and 19 rebounds.

Nick Grewe - Bertha Hewitt. Complete player.

And finally, the 10th graders of Russell Tyler Ruthton in 03-04 that won the state championship, then 2 more for the 3-peat. That was a GREAT team.

Devon Gilchrist
Matthew Lee
Javier Collins

(If you recognize these names- try to guess where I went to high school :ROFLMAO:)
I can't think of their names, but this same school actually beat a stacked Patrick Henry for the state championship in 1998.

They had a guy who was like 6'5", I'm picturing a bowl cut and could really shoot. They also had another guy who dominated down low (Worthington? or something like that).

Khalid El-amin and jabbar Washington.
Jake Sullivan.
Drew Carlson.
Alex and John Carlson.
Troy bell.
Nate wolters.
Matt janning.
Royce White
Skip schafbauer(probably not spelled right)

Alot more but these are a few that come to mind. Some are because I watched so many of their games because of proximity.
Skip was the bomb

Mpls Roosevelt had a fun team to watch with a dude named Tex Philips and a 6-6 forward named Wayne Charles. One of the most underrated guys to come out of the state was Aaron Mittendorf out of Caledonia. Dropped 50 plus against Ben Johnson and Delasalle in state championship game Remember as a kid watching my first state tournament games. Elmer Bailey at St Paul Mechanic Arts and Percy Wade at Delasalle Saw Steve Lingenfelter school the great Kevin Mchale in big schools championship.
Totally remember that team

For me in the mid 90s, it was Redwood Valley. Luke Jimenez and his brother (don't think it was a twin but maybe?). Luke played at Indiana, was a bench player for his 4 years.

My buddy and I were watching the wolves the other day and reminiscing over the exploits of Steve Sir, CDH, and kip sparby, ROCCORI.

For a couple years, my whole world revolved around watching Troy Bell at BC

You're just missing Darius Lane you checked all the boxes on the best players from that era.
Really did not like Mike Bauer, remember watching him play hs arguiing with his coach, huge ego.Add, Kevin Mchale, Mark Olberding, Steve Lingenfelter, Dusty Rychart, Randiy Breuer, Jim Peterson, Kris Humphries, Joel Pryzbella, Kit Carson, Jeff Stottlemeyer, Barry Wohlers,

Really did not like Mike Bauer, remember watching him play hs arguiing with his coach, huge ego.Add, Kevin Mchale, Mark Olberding, Steve Lingenfelter, Dusty Rychart, Randiy Breuer, Jim Peterson, Kris Humphries, Joel Pryzbella, Kit Carson, Jeff Stottlemeyer, Barry Wohlers,
Forgot Rick Rickert

Way back when I was a kid:
Billy Bardahl
Chad Kolander

Joel Przybilla
Mitch Ohnstad
Ben Johnson
Sam Jacobson
Blake Hoffbarber's shot vs Indiana got replayed 21 times and people were still screaming at the tv.

Wish I had been alive to see Kevin McHale.

Way back when I was a kid:
Billy Bardahl
Chad Kolander

Joel Przybilla
Mitch Ohnstad
Ben Johnson
Sam Jacobson
Blake Hoffbarber's shot vs Indiana got replayed 21 times and people were still screaming at the tv.

Wish I had been alive to see Kevin McHale.
Faribault native?

Older school: Al Hunter from Mechanic Arts. Never saw a 25 footer he didn't think he could make. Did not look like a basketball player.

Mark Olberding was probably the best high school player I ever saw in my generation.
Was Hunter the PG at Mechanics Arts in 1974. That guy was built like a barrel, had the quickness of a walrus, but because of his stout build he could create his own shot and he was deadly. Hard guy to defend.

Landsburger on the fast break was a force of nature. Let him get within 10 feet of the basket and you could forget it.

Some great names from way back. I'm way old and don't watch much high school hoops anymore. One guy I would add is Ronnie Henderson, who played with Rodney Hargest and Ronnie Hadley for some great Marshall-University High teams coached by Ed Prohofsky. Minneapolis had a lot of great players. Emmanuel Rogers from Washburn and Kevin Smith from North were also awesome players.

I graduated in 1971 and there were some good teams in Southern Minnesota around that time. I played in the same conference (not much and not well) as Lake City and Randy Breuer was a few years behind me. I had a cousin who played against him who was about 6-2 and somehow had jumping ability in his Scandinavian legs and came out of nowhere to block one of Breuer's shots when Randy got lazy and tried to lollipop one from short range. One of those things you just had to see to believe.
Smith was an incredible athlete, Rogers played at Central and what a scorer, Henderson is a Mnnesota hall of famer but the best of the bunch in my mind was Randy Williams at Washburn. His dad was the first African American to play for the Lakers. His combination of size, skill set, and athleticism just dominated.

Top Bottom