Minnesota kids you really enjoyed watching

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
They don't have to be Gophers but guys you enjoyed watching in high school/college that are from here.

I'll list a few and explanations.

Joel Przybilla-Monticello would always play their section games at SCSU, where I would go and watch. Super fun as a kid to see such a behemoth of a man

Rick Rickert-One of the finest high school players I've seen. Could do it all. Handle the ball, shoot 3's, dunk...whatever you wanted, he did it.

Isiah Dahlman-He was a year younger than me and we played against each other growing up. I watched Braham get down like 12 to a solid Melrose team in a section final. Their coach called a timeout, went to a full court press. This Dahlman on the ball and they destroyed them. Like a 58-12 run in the final 3 quarters.

Tyus Jones-My favorite guard, edging out El-Amin. Jones was just impressive. Only guy I've ever seen have a quiet 40 in a high school game

Loved Tre Jones in high school, one game in particular stands out when he just dominated Brad Davison. Davison was bitching to the refs and pouting the whole game (surprise) and Tre just went about his business and carried his team the whole game.

Kerwin and Dawson Garcia are two of my favorite HS players to watch in recent memory also.

Kevin Lynch, played against him in rec leagues pre high school, remember we were whooping up on a bloomington team and suddenly Kevin shows up hair soaking wet, just out of the showers from his last game with another team and we were toast after that. Was fun to watch him play as a gopher.

They don't have to be Gophers but guys you enjoyed watching in high school/college that are from here.

I'll list a few and explanations.

Joel Przybilla-Monticello would always play their section games at SCSU, where I would go and watch. Super fun as a kid to see such a behemoth of a man

Rick Rickert-One of the finest high school players I've seen. Could do it all. Handle the ball, shoot 3's, dunk...whatever you wanted, he did it.

Isiah Dahlman-He was a year younger than me and we played against each other growing up. I watched Braham get down like 12 to a solid Melrose team in a section final. Their coach called a timeout, went to a full court press. This Dahlman on the ball and they destroyed them. Like a 58-12 run in the final 3 quarters.

Tyus Jones-My favorite guard, edging out El-Amin. Jones was just impressive. Only guy I've ever seen have a quiet 40 in a high school game

man I was on that Melrose team and unfortunetly was the guy guarding him for most of the game! I hope you don't remember that game closely! :p I mean they were WAY better then us but man we had them rattled for that first quarter. we started to really believe. Things went south in a hurry for us but it was a fun game and atmosphere to be apart of. Our fans chanting to Dahlman during free throws...."duke don't want you....duke don't want you..... and then their fans chanting to our best player "nobody wants you.....nobody wants you..... it was a lot of fun to be a part of. But to have Isiah Dahlman, Josh Vaughn, and a young Noah Dahlman on the same team in Class AA in 2005 was about as unfair as it got lol. We were a very good AA team that year and were as good as any other AA that year other the Braham. Isiah was just so dang good. I was surprised he didn't find himself a bigger role at Michigan State

Going old school here, but Sam Jacobson and Randy Bruer in high school. Every game was a huge deal in a packed gym. A 7' 3" guy with skills at that time was crazy.
Also Gene Glynn (coached for Twins and now w/ Miami) from Waseca was the best point guard I ever saw; Mr. Basketball 1975.

Brett McNeal

Jake Sullivan
Troy Bell
Terry Pettis
Johnnie Gilbert
Alan Anderson
Mike Bauer
Jibrahn Ike
Erik Crawford
Ray/Travis Brown

Going old school here, but Sam Jacobson and Randy Bruer in high school. Every game was a huge deal in a packed gym. A 7' 3" guy with skills at that time was crazy.
Also Gene Glynn (coached for Twins and now w/ Miami) from Waseca was the best point guard I ever saw; Mr. Basketball 1975.
I was gonna mention Glynn, since I never got to see any of the other big timers mentioned. Glynn used to own the other teams in our high school conference. The thing about him was he played so efficiently. Even his rare flashy moves didn't seem flashy, just necessary.
Didn't really think about it at the time, but I wonder if he had D-1 talent or size and could have played somewhere bigger than Mankato State. Could have been that he wanted to play both hoops and baseball and a D-2 school was the only place that was gonna happen.

Khalid El-amin and jabbar Washington.
Jake Sullivan.
Drew Carlson.
Alex and John Carlson.
Troy bell.
Nate wolters.
Matt janning.
Royce White
Skip schafbauer(probably not spelled right)

Alot more but these are a few that come to mind. Some are because I watched so many of their games because of proximity.

Early memory of Dave Trost. I think he was from Silver Bay. Played for Flip at GVLC.

Great topic.

Bird Island Barry - my old man was a Ref and officiated some of his games and I tagged along; man was he effortless - plus the perfect nickname.

Also saw him play baseball as his Legion team came to a summer tourney my town/Legion team hosted.

Best HS athlete i ever saw.

Way off the radar but a guy I always loved was Ethan Wragge at Creighton. He was never a star but he could just get scorching hot and I just remember being so upset we didn't have him to just drill 3's. Shot 47% from three his senior year and 44% career.

And has one of the funnest college games ever to watch and of course listening to Gus Johnson.

man I was on that Melrose team and unfortunetly was the guy guarding him for most of the game! I hope you don't remember that game closely! :p I mean they were WAY better then us but man we had them rattled for that first quarter. we started to really believe. Things went south in a hurry for us but it was a fun game and atmosphere to be apart of. Our fans chanting to Dahlman during free throws...."duke don't want you....duke don't want you..... and then their fans chanting to our best player "nobody wants you.....nobody wants you..... it was a lot of fun to be a part of. But to have Isiah Dahlman, Josh Vaughn, and a young Noah Dahlman on the same team in Class AA in 2005 was about as unfair as it got lol. We were a very good AA team that year and were as good as any other AA that year other the Braham. Isiah was just so dang good. I was surprised he didn't find himself a bigger role at Michigan State

hahaha. That is awesome! I hope you know I meant no disrespect. I got crushed by the Dahlmans and Vaughn for years.

Was Jimmy Gieske on your team? I think that’s the name.

You had them in the ropes for a bit. Things went south though. Only a couple teams in the state could hang with those Braham squads.

more outstate guys for me.
Alex Carlson
John Carlson
Scottie Stone
Anders Broman
Isiah Dahlman

Jake Sullivan
Troy Bell
Terry Pettis
Johnnie Gilbert
Alan Anderson
Mike Bauer
Jibrahn Ike
Erik Crawford
Ray/Travis Brown
Shout out for the ray/travis brown drop, i graduated same year from richfield, always though travis would have been a better baseball player but he thought it was too boring lol

hahaha. That is awesome! I hope you know I meant no disrespect. I got crushed by the Dahlmans and Vaughn for years.

Was Jimmy Gieske on your team? I think that’s the name.

You had them in the ropes for a bit. Things went south though. Only a couple teams in the state could hang with those Braham squads.
lol no disrespect taken...like I said it was an awesome game to be involved in.

Yup that was his name. He was our go to guy.

Braham had themselves a heck of a run there from like 2005-2008.

Jordan Taylor
Cole Aldrich
Trevor Mbakwe
Jared Berggren
Matt Janning
Royce White
Rodney Williams
Siyani Chambers
Sam Dower
Isaiah Dahlman
Al Nolen
John Leuer

Older school: Al Hunter from Mechanic Arts. Never saw a 25 footer he didn't think he could make. Did not look like a basketball player.

Mark Olberding was probably the best high school player I ever saw in my generation.

Older school: Al Hunter from Mechanic Arts. Never saw a 25 footer he didn't think he could make. Did not look like a basketball player.

Mark Olberding was probably the best high school player I ever saw in my generation.

Olberding could hoop. My friends dad played against him for years. They were rivals of sorts. Saw plenty of grainy video of him!

Eric Webb-Grand Rapids. Was a ton of fun to watch, he went D1 somewhere. Furman maybe.

I'll echo the Carlson brothers from Litchfield.

Russ Archambault was early on in my love for hoops. Obviously his Gopher career was not helpful but a hell of a HS player. Cant believe they lost that section final to NLS

lol no disrespect taken...like I said it was an awesome game to be involved in.

Yup that was his name. He was our go to guy.

Braham had themselves a heck of a run there from like 2005-2008.

They sure did. Vaughn was underrated too. He was a nice player @ NDSU when they made their first tourney and almost upset Kansas.

LeRoy Gardner, Jim Hill, Phil Rodgers, Joe Novotny, Dave Winfield, Mark Olberding, Mark Landsberger, Kevin McHale, Kevin Lynch, Randy Breuer, Jim Petersen, Rodney Hargest, Elmer Baily, Dave Meisner, Bruce Hoffarber, (Blake s dad) Terry Kunze, Jeff Nessler, Barry Wohler, Khalid, Sam, Mike Bauer, Jake, ....lately, Dawson Garcia and Jalen.

Good thread.

Guys I played against that I remember most
Jake Sullivan: Best scorer I've still ever seen live in MN HS basketball.

Rickert: He was a beast, so big and brought the ball up for East a lot which at that time was so rare. He two handed a dunk on us over two guys from just inside the free throw line. It was crazy.

John Carlson: Was crazy tough as a freshman. As he got bigger I felt he got worse honestly, but as a freshman he was so good.

Lawrence McKenzie: Was crazy skilled with the ball and his Henry team threw more alley oops that I'd ever seen.

Eric Webb from Grand Rapids: He'd pull up from the volleyball line and was a magician with the ball. He was so good.

Most recent guys I've enjoyed watching:

Wishart: I loved his teams from Delano and they were gritty

Tyrell Terry: Defended and played so good with others. Could really score when he wanted, but was a great facilitator.

Oturo: Just a physical beast in HS. His dunk to win the state championship was unreal.

Reid Travis: Monster and grinder

Antwan Kimmons (Tartan): Little sparkplug who worked hard and had no fear.

Eric Webb-Grand Rapids. Was a ton of fun to watch, he went D1 somewhere. Furman maybe.

I'll echo the Carlson brothers from Litchfield.

Russ Archambault was early on in my love for hoops. Obviously his Gopher career was not helpful but a hell of a HS player. Cant believe they lost that section final to NLS

Webb went to Furman and after his career was there all time leader in 3 pt fgs.

Small town guys:

Todd Bouman
Jeff Nordgaard
Joel McDonald
Cody Schilling

Devon Gilchrist
Matthew Lee
Javier Collins

(If you recognize these names- try to guess where I went to high school :ROFLMAO:)

Webb went to Furman and after his career was there all time leader in 3 pt fgs.

I trekked up to Hinckley with some pals, circa 2002, and watched him play in a section game. No idea who against anymore. He was doing some stuff I had never seen a high schooler do.

Unreal shooter. Like mid-90% on free throws.

I trekked up to Hinckley with some pals, circa 2002, and watched him play in a section game. No idea who against anymore. He was doing some stuff I had never seen a high schooler do.

Unreal shooter. Like mid-90% on free throws.

I believe it was against Princeton. The Grand Rapids vs Sauk Rapids (who had Jeff Hille) 2003 state quarterfinal at Brainerd was a crazy fun game with him too. Webb went nuts and the building was insane.

Top Bottom