Minnesota and NIL

$100 - parking
$100 - fuel
$70 - 2 haircuts per month
$200 - basic groceries and toiletries to keep in apartment
$150 - clothes/shoes etc
$150 - only 2 nights out with girlfriend each month
$200 - one night out with position group every week
That’s almost $1000 for just some basic expenditures. And they get nothing in June or July even though they are required to be there. So they actually get $10,000/year which comes out to $833/mo. That’s not much money.
That’s some inflated needs.

However, I think you’re a little light on the babe money.

I don't know the reason for brown transfer (it was officially pre-NIL) but seems more than a coincidence that Spartans announce NIL payments to players within a few months and brown is on the payroll. Moreover Spartans have been very aggressive going after transfers.
You are working pretty hard to manufacture a connection that probably isn't there.

And as for Brown, he played in a whooping 2 games last year and made 4 tackles. Not losing much sleep over losing him at this point regardless of his reason for transferring to MSU.

Two $35 haircuts a month??? Insanity.
Have you seen how these kids keep their hair? Lol. Some of these kids actually go weekly. There’s a local guy that does a lot of the Vikings and Goohers players haircuts. It’s $50…and they go weekly. My nephew can’t afford that. But haircuts aside, $833/mo still doesn’t stretch very far. The players have to rely on mom and dad to supplement them when needed. I’m always checking in to make sure my nephew has what he needs.

Last edited:

I don't think they need to spend $100 for gas a month. They're probably doing a lot of walking around campus and to practice/academic facilities from their apts. And/or scooters of various types, probably electric at that.

But yeah, your point is well taken.

It doesn't take too much of an "adjustment" in lifestyle for costs to quickly start adding up.

$100 - parking
$100 - fuel
$150 - clothes/shoes etc
That’s almost $1000 for just some basic expenditures. And they get nothing in June or July even though they are required to be there. So they actually get $10,000/year which comes out to $833/mo. That’s not much money.

Yeah I don't buy it. There is no way she is spending that much money the way you are saying. And btw if she is, maybe teach her about saving money because that is some serious wasteful spending. $150 a month on clothes and shoes? $100 for fuel? $75 every time you go out with your girlfriends?

Seriously she is going to end up broke if she doesn't learn how to better spend her money.

Have you seen how these kids keep their hair? Lol. Some of these kids actually go weekly. There’s a local guy that does a lot of the Vikings and Goohers players haircuts. It’s $50…and they go weekly. My nephew can’t afford that. But haircuts aside, $833/mo still doesn’t stretch very far. The players have to rely on mom and dad to supplement them when needed. I’m always checking in to make sure my nephew has what he needs.

So what? If you have a finite set of money per month it is called making smart choices. Sacrifices need to be made. I know a lot of people (myself included) who lived on less and not because things were cheaper.

So what? If you have a finite set of money per month it is called making smart choices. Sacrifices need to be made. I know a lot of people (myself included) who lived on less and not because things were cheaper.
You’re exactly right about sacrifices need to be made, which is kind of the point regarding NIL. Let’s face it, with NIL, some of these kids(not all) are not as loyal to the school as they used to be, thus, the increase in portal numbers. If they see playing time AND some decent NIL money somewhere else, they’ll jump ship. My nephew happens to be loyal to Minnesota, so he’s sacrificing and learning to manage his money. Especially since he knows there’s 2 months where he’ll receive nothing. But so many of these kids don’t think they should have to sacrifice when 1)they see players at others schools making extra, and 2)they see how much the program generates. I know down here in the South, NIL is a necessity….just see what Texas A&M did this recruiting cycle.

$100 - parking
$100 - fuel
$150 - clothes/shoes etc
I don't know about all that you have listed, a lot of it wasn't a monthly expense for the people I knew:
$100 - parking
$100 - fuel
I had a car, so these expenses applied to me, but virtually all my friends took public transit or walked everywhere. Metro transit connects the U to a lot of places, pair that with a U-pass, and you can get around for $114 a semester. This doesn't cover the summer AFAIK, but metro transit is still very affordable.
Varies wildly from person to person. I don't think Tanner Morgan is paying for haircuts, and some folks may only get 1 haircut a month depending on how fast their hair grows and their preferred hairstyle.
$150 - clothes/shoes etc
This I agree with, applies to everyone.
Not everyone is in a relationship, and also there are lots of cheap and fun things to do around the city as a date night that don't hurt the wallet.
Do they go out every week? And each time they are spending $50 a piece?

NIL meaning and spirit is fine but guys plunking down thousands or millions just to get a recruit to come to his "team" is stupid as hell and a huge losing proposition. This whole thing will fizzle and be a fart in the win at some point. Or, as some people want , another pro league
The pro league will fail.

Holy crap….you want to adopt me? These are COLLEGE kids….not Vikings players. Wouldn’t my business major freshman daughter love $800+ per month on top of free room and board. 🤦🏻

Holy crap….you want to adopt me? These are COLLEGE kids….not Vikings players. Wouldn’t my business major freshman daughter love $800+ per month on top of free room and board. 🤦🏻
Yeah, I have a hard time having too much sympathy for the players. I had to pay my own way through college with my $6.50/hr job (early mid 1990s so about $12/hr in today's money). Money was so tight that I only got a haircut once a month.

I have a hunch that Fortune 500 companies won't be in the NIL game. They are so well known, the last thing they need is to plunk money down on a kid that may screw up sometime and tarnish the image of their company.

Where is Denny Hecker when we need him?

Where is Denny Hecker when we need him?
Mike Lindell is from Minnesota.....can't believe nobody has suggested a My Pillow NIL deal.....oh wait.....never mind.

Top Bottom