Minnesota and NIL

GopherFanatic19

Reaction score
I’ve been seeing more and more schools from BYU to just read Penn State upping NIL deals to recruits. It got me wondering if anyone has heard of Minnesota plans to also take the next major step into NIL to get top recruits to come here.

I would think if Minnesota doesn’t have a plan to majorly expand into NIL we just won’t cut it.

thoughts?

The Gophers would love to get companies/people involved in NIL deals but it's up to the companies to step up. As discussed elsewhere, Minnesota doesn't have a big sugar daddy that wants to pay up nor do, it seems, the Fortune 500 companies. The McNamara's and company have all passed on.

These companies, they hate you. Always remember that, op. You and your team are bugs to them.

My understanding is that the university itself is limited in what they can do to get this up and running, it would be dependent on individuals/businesses to really kick in.

What is the going rate for athletes receiving NIL funding? What are the payouts at other Big Ten schools? I can confirm that football and scholarship athletes at Michigan State are getting $500/month.

Can we all chip in and get a Gopherhole NIL going?
dollar.gif

We can do a Gopherhole garage sale and give MN's top recruit the proceeds. They should be able to buy themselves a nice outfit and a pair of sneakers if we do it right.

Last edited:

What is the going rate for athletes receiving NIL funding? What are the payouts at other Big Ten schools? I can confirm that football and scholarship athletes at Michigan State are getting $500/month.
That's not NIL, that is a cost of attendance stipend. I think the whole Big Ten has that.

That's not NIL, that is a cost of attendance stipend. I think the whole Big Ten has that.
Nope. MSU and united wholesale mortgage signed a NIL deal last September giving each basketball and football player including walkons $500/mo. United wholesale mortgage President played on Spartans 2000 national basketball championship team.
MSu also set up an electronic platform to coordinate nil activities between student athletes and businesses seems like gophers are not up to speed with NIL

I’ve been seeing more and more schools from BYU to just read Penn State upping NIL deals to recruits. It got me wondering if anyone has heard of Minnesota plans to also take the next major step into NIL to get top recruits to come here.

I would think if Minnesota doesn’t have a plan to majorly expand into NIL we just won’t cut it.

thoughts?
Gophers have Lou Nanne heading up the NIL program and connecting them with the "Big Cigars" of the greater Metro area. ;)

So here's what I found about Ohio state, according to Eleven warriors website which covers buckeyes. In January NIL report, buckeyes had 220 athletes receive $2.98 million in preceding six months from 608 opportunities.

Let's each buy some crypto and exchange it. That constitutes a crypto exchange and we can go public and start off at around a $50B market cap from fake internet money. Give shares to players. 8th natty within 5 years.

Nope. MSU and united wholesale mortgage signed a NIL deal last September giving each basketball and football player including walkons $500/mo. United wholesale mortgage President played on Spartans 2000 national basketball championship team.
MSu also set up an electronic platform to coordinate nil activities between student athletes and businesses seems like gophers are not up to speed with NIL

I did a little googling on United Wholesale Mortgage and their president and he and the company are accused of using coercive tactics on independent mortgage brokers. Essentially gave ultimatum to steer all business to UWM instead of other entities or face huge fines…defeating purpose of independent brokerages. Class action lawsuit has ensued alleging anticompetitive, antitrust issues hurting unsuspecting public. Poor reviews by brokers, former employees. Yechh.

Sad.

No way MSU signed an agreement. That's not how it works.

No way MSU signed an agreement. That's not how it works.
Not sure on the proper legal term here (deal, agreement, partnership) and how that legal arrangement works, but the outcome remains MSU athletes are receiving NIL funds from United wholesale mortgage.

Hey - in theory, there is nothing stopping MN athletes and MN companies from making NIL deals.

Sid used to always talk about all the Fortune 500 companies in the Twin cities, and all the business opportunities that would create for athletes after graduation.

Well, those companies are still there, and now, those opportunities are available to athletes before graduation.

So someone - a booster, a corporate exec, a big Car Dealer - someone has to get the ball rolling. And players need to be pro-active - find someone not affiliated with the University to help line up NIL deals. I believe under the new rules, a player can have an agent for NIL deals only.

Nobody is stopping MN companies or athletes from having the same kind of deals mentioned at OSU, MSU, BYU, or OMG.

if other schools are beating MN at the NIL game, that is not the fault of the school - it's the fault of the local companies and athletes for not taking advantage of the new reality.

I have a hunch that Fortune 500 companies won't be in the NIL game. They are so well known, the last thing they need is to plunk money down on a kid that may screw up sometime and tarnish the image of their company.

I have a hunch that Fortune 500 companies won't be in the NIL game. They are so well known, the last thing they need is to plunk money down on a kid that may screw up sometime and tarnish the image of their company.
I mean, this really goes for anyone who actually has plans on having a player make public endorsements of their company and/or product.

Which makes it feel, to me, all the more silly that a "NIL deal" is allowed where the player literally doesn't have to do jack squat. At least, that's my understanding?

Isn't that the equivalent of a "no show" job?

NIL might have begun with good intentions. But big companies aren’t taking the bait. Why should they take the reputation risk on unknown 18 and 19 year olds? The big money is coming from former bag men, now suddenly legitimized, offering huge dollars for what are essentially no-show jobs. Time will show that there is no correlation between the biggest NIL payments and expected financial or commercial return for the “investors.” The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Last edited:

NIL might have begun with good intentions. But big companies aren’t taking the bait. Why should they take the reputation all risk on unknown 18 and 19 year olds? The big money is coming from former bag men, now suddenly legitimized, offering huge dollars for what are essentially no-show jobs. Time will show that there is no correlation between the biggest NIL payments and expected financial or commercial return for the “investors.” The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
On the other hand, you could say that the Alabama's of the world were already getting the best players and those players were already getting paid under the table.

This just moved those payments over the table, but keeps everything else roughly the same.

I think we might go through a bit of an NIL balloon.
People throwing money at this, and then realizing winning a Championship, or getting close, and dealing with 19 year old kid millionaires isn't providing the real ROI many "investors" would hope for.

Top Bottom