Minnesota and NIL

just a thought - the companies that advertise on Gopher Football or basketball radio broadcasts - they could all be doing some kind of NIL deal with Gopher athletes - even tie it into their advertising.

those are companies that already support Gopher sports.

(so which Gopher athlete wants to be the spokesperson for Washburn-McReavy funeral homes.......)

As long as college football is on its way to becoming minor-league pro, why not eliminate some of the other obstacles to eliminating the traditional student-athlete notion. The trend is toward players being de facto employees of the school rather than students who participates in a sport. Accordingly: 1. Allow open, unrestrained recruiting practices. 2. Eliminate all academic requirements 3. Allow unlimited seasons per individual player.

If you think these are extreme suggestions, ask yourself if, ten years ago, you expected legal payments from boosters to buy the services of players to become not only accepted, but pretty much required for a team to be competitive.

All student athletes are paid $5980 per year if they can reach an academic benchmark that is similar to the grades you need to be eligible. The program is also partnering with fanatics for jerseys that the players can profit off of

I didn't know the first part. Good for them. Is that all Gopher sports players?

Minnesota doesn't have a big sugar daddy that wants to pay up nor do, it seems, the Fortune 500 companies. The McNamara's and company have all passed on.

Honestly, it looks like unless a Uni has a niche industry connected to its' alumni (i.e oil industry with TAMU) it looks like this is going to be hard for a lot of schools. Especially because there's a lot of sugar daddy entities out there that pour money into academics but not sports - I live in Pittsburgh and we have Carnegie/Heinz/Frick but they all put money into Academia

All student athletes are paid $5980 per year if they can reach an academic benchmark that is similar to the grades you need to be eligible.
Just to be clear, those stipends are not related to the student-athletes NIL.

The program is also partnering with fanatics for jerseys that the players can profit off of
The Fanatics deal is limited to football for now, I believe, but could eventually expand to other sports. They don't seem to be advertising what type of a cut the SAs will get from the sales or how much they will have to pay to Fanatics' partner (OneTeam) to administer the deals. As a point of reference, a sporting goods store in Michigan previously agreed to pay something like 10% of the purchase price to the SAs for personalized jerseys.

Hard to envision too many people in this market paying for customized college football jerseys, but star players at Alabama, Ohio State, etc. might make some significant cash.

That's not NIL, that is a cost of attendance stipend. I think the whole Big Ten has that.
You’re correct…they get a stipend. The football players get $1000/mo when they are in school. June and July, they get nothing.

just a thought - the companies that advertise on Gopher Football or basketball radio broadcasts - they could all be doing some kind of NIL deal with Gopher athletes - even tie it into their advertising.

those are companies that already support Gopher sports.

(so which Gopher athlete wants to be the spokesperson for Washburn-McReavy funeral homes.......)
GopherHole could sponsor 3 or 4 athletes, and do weekly 5-10 minute video interviews with those players to get some good insider info. I’m on Orangebloods.com down here in Texas, and they have probably a dozen UT athletes across several sports that they sponsor. The weekly videos are really good.

On the other hand, you could say that the Alabama's of the world were already getting the best players and those players were already getting paid under the table.

This just moved those payments over the table, but keeps everything else roughly the same.
Long run, this is probably the lasting effect. NIL simply legitimizes and sanitizes the formerly dirty “bag man” practice, removing the stain of that illicit undercurrent from certain SEC football powers … and, perhaps, giving some non-SEC powers with rabid, rich boosters a way to legally match the full gamut of offers made by SEC powers without “breaking the rules.” Also, allows top college players to be paid massive amounts without transforming them into university employees (the most highly paid employees). Unless we gain a cadre of rabid boosters willing to toss millions at the football program with no return other than gaining a five star commitment or two, I don’t see the Gophers competing in the upper NIL echelons.

Long run, this is probably the lasting effect. NIL simply legitimizes and sanitizes the formerly dirty “bag man” practice, removing the stain of that illicit undercurrent from certain SEC football powers … and, perhaps, giving some non-SEC powers with rabid, rich boosters a way to legally match the full gamut of offers made by SEC powers without “breaking the rules.” Also, allows top college players to be paid massive amounts without transforming them into university employees (the most highly paid employees). Unless we gain a cadre of rabid boosters willing to toss millions at the football program with no return other than gaining a five star commitment or two, I don’t see the Gophers competing in the upper NIL echelons.
100% accurate. And the current state of Minnesota boosters not coming to the table with NIL money will hurt recruiting in the long run. These kids know where they can and can’t go to line their pockets. Live on $1000/mo stipend at Minnesota, or go make 10X or more at a competitor school? That is the time we live in now.

100% accurate. And the current state of Minnesota boosters not coming to the table with NIL money will hurt recruiting in the long run. These kids know where they can and can’t go to line their pockets. Live on $1000/mo stipend at Minnesota, or go make 10X or more at a competitor school? That is the time we live in now.
We weren't getting the guys who will be in line to get the big paydays already, and we won't start getting them now. I truly don't see this having a massive impact on our recruiting. I will start to worry when we start hearing about the Wisconsin's and Iowa's of the world shelling out tons of money to their players while we do nothing.

Texas A&M spending thousands is a non-factor for us because we weren't getting the guys they are buying anyway.

We weren't getting the guys who will be in line to get the big paydays already, and we won't start getting them now. I truly don't see this having a massive impact on our recruiting. I will start to worry when we start hearing about the Wisconsin's and Iowa's of the world shelling out tons of money to their players while we do nothing.

Texas A&M spending thousands is a non-factor for us because we weren't getting the guys they are buying anyway.
i think the question that could be asked is does a guy like Bateman stay committed if he's getting an extra 50-100k from GA compared with here, and now can get it legally? it's going to make it tougher to hang onto under the radar players who bloom late potentially.

Where a team like Minnesota could be hurt is when underclassmen have a breakout year, and see greener pastures in schools that have players signing lucrative NIL deals. The portal makes it easy for good players to leave and go make the money. And the flip side, portal players could also covet programs that have more NIL deals in place, making it tougher for Minnesota to land some portal kids they really want.

i think the question that could be asked is does a guy like Bateman stay committed if he's getting an extra 50-100k from GA compared with here, and now can get it legally? it's going to make it tougher to hang onto under the radar players who bloom late potentially.
Interesting question, of course the other question is would a guy like Bateman legitimately been offered 50-100K by Georgia? Obviously there are crazy sums of money being tossed around but I still think most of that money is going to a small group of players.

You’re correct…they get a stipend. The football players get $1000/mo when they are in school. June and July, they
Where a team like Minnesota could be hurt is when underclassmen have a breakout year, and see greener pastures in schools that have players signing lucrative NIL deals. The portal makes it easy for good players to leave and go make the money. And the flip side, portal players could also covet programs that have more NIL deals in place, making it tougher for Minnesota to land some portal kids they really want.
For the reasons pointed out above, doesn't NIL implemented in this way take a little of the fun out of following these sports? Like to get your opinions.

Last edited:

All possible, but we are making a ton of assumptions about just how much money is being just handed out and how many players actually have access to it. I also think we are overestimating just how much money will be the driving force for the majority of players in regards to their college days.

Most NIL deals are not going to be life changing sums of money. So while a little extra is obviously going to appeal to players it isn't likely to be the driving force behind decisions when your ultimate goal is to make it to the NFL, not just make a little side cash in college.

We all pool our resources....we can probably get enough to buy all the players McDonalds for a whole week :)
How about the boys set up a lemonade stand on University Avenue and we match their profits.

All possible, but we are making a ton of assumptions about just how much money is being just handed out and how many players actually have access to it. I also think we are overestimating just how much money will be the driving force for the majority of players in regards to their college days.

Most NIL deals are not going to be life changing sums of money. So while a little extra is obviously going to appeal to players it isn't likely to be the driving force behind decisions when your ultimate goal is to make it to the NFL, not just make a little side cash in college.
I totally get what you’re saying. Down here in Texas, NIL deals are huge, so I’m probably seeing things a little differently. NIL is still relatively new, and I can see it going in the direction of the haves and have nots…especial when the portal enters the equation. I hope I’m wrong.

I totally get what you’re saying. Down here in Texas, NIL deals are huge, so I’m probably seeing things a little differently. NIL is still relatively new, and I can see it going in the direction of the haves and have nots…especial when the portal enters the equation. I hope I’m wrong.
The haves and have nots are already a thing in college football, NIL isn't going to change that. I guess I just choose to take the wait and see approach because right now it is all so new and tons of assumptions are being made about its impact.

When we start losing recruits to our main rivals because we aren't offering enough side money I will get worried.

I just think it is funny when people talk about NIL unleveling the playing field in college football and basketball. That playing field hasn't been level for a long long time, NIL isn't going to change that.

The haves and have nots are already a thing in college football, NIL isn't going to change that. I guess I just choose to take the wait and see approach because right now it is all so new and tons of assumptions are being made about its impact.

When we start losing recruits to our main rivals because we aren't offering enough side money I will get worried.

I just think it is funny when people talk about NIL unleveling the playing field in college football and basketball. That playing field hasn't been level for a long long time, NIL isn't going to change that.
Minnesota lost LB Itayvion brown to Michigan State last year which has an NIL deal with a booster/former athlete that gives Spartan players $500/mo. If we can't match that number, we lose players to Michigan State. MSU added 14 transfers last year from Power 5 schools around the country so I see them as a force going forward. .

Minnesota lost LB Itayvion brown to Michigan State last year which has an NIL deal with a booster/former athlete that gives Spartan players $500/mo. If we can't match that number, we lose players to Michigan State. MSU added 14 transfers last year from Power 5 schools around the country so I see them as a force going forward. .
Unfortunately, $1000 /mo just isn’t much money to live on, even with room and board being free. My nephew still has to pay for monthly parking on campus, clothes, shoes, haircuts, toiletries, etc….it adds up fast. Some kid’s families don’t have money to send them, and every little bit counts.

Unfortunately, $1000 /mo just isn’t much money to live on, even with room and board being free. My nephew still has to pay for monthly parking on campus, clothes, shoes, haircuts, toiletries, etc….it adds up fast. Some kid’s families don’t have money to send them, and every little bit counts.
Huh? No rent, no food expenses (unless you want to eat out).....that's a lot of spending money. I'm sure my daughter who is a freshman would love to have a $1000 per month to spend however she would like.

Are you suggesting that Brown, who transferred to Michigan State in March 2021, was enticed by the NIL deal at Michigan State that wasn't allowable under NCAA rules until July and wasn't announced until September? That's some foresight.

Are you suggesting that Brown, who transferred to Michigan State in March 2021, was enticed by the NIL deal at Michigan State that wasn't allowable under NCAA rules until July and wasn't announced until September? That's some foresight.
I don't know the reason for brown transfer (it was officially pre-NIL) but seems more than a coincidence that Spartans announce NIL payments to players within a few months and brown is on the payroll. Moreover Spartans have been very aggressive going after transfers.

I don't know the reason for brown transfer (it was officially pre-NIL) but seems more than a coincidence that Spartans announce NIL payments to players within a few months and brown is on the payroll. Moreover Spartans have been very aggressive going after transfers.
I don't doubt that there will cases where NIL factors into whether and/or where a player transfers, I just don't think it had anything to do with this particular case.

True, but there are only a finite number of roster spots on those helmet school rosters, which are going to be the top X.

Mostly, we weren't getting those kids anyway, at least not off the bat (pre-transfer).

Huh? No rent, no food expenses (unless you want to eat out).....that's a lot of spending money. I'm sure my daughter who is a freshman would love to have a $1000 per month to spend however she would like.
$100 - parking
$100 - fuel
$70 - 2 haircuts per month
$200 - basic groceries and toiletries to keep in apartment
$150 - clothes/shoes etc
$150 - only 2 nights out with girlfriend each month
$200 - one night out with position group every week
That’s almost $1000 for just some basic expenditures. And they get nothing in June or July even though they are required to be there. So they actually get $10,000/year which comes out to $833/mo. That’s not much money.

Top Bottom