Minneapolis North HS beat Ubah Medical HS 143-4 last night. North had 8 players in double figures. Ubah Medical had 2 players with 2 points each.

Western Christian (I believe that is an Iowa school)

Yes, it is located in that heavy Dutch Reformed NW corner of Iowa. They have a good basketball history (both boys and girls I believe) because it is the religious school of choice in a very religious area and people tend to be tall in that corner of the world.

The issue is that many charter schools are so bad at sports they really shouldn't be in the MSHSL.

I looked up a rural charter school not too far away from where I live. I guess they must be aware of that because when I pulled up athletics, I saw the choices of "archery, speech, and knowledge bowl."

Poor kids need to hit the books and forget about basketball. Pick up games at the local Y won't put your name in the paper when you lose by 140 so maybe get your balling in there.
Maybe join a wheelchair league. 🤔

The 98-2 halftime score is more of an issue imo. No way starters only played 10 minutes. But even if they did scoring 100 points in a half needs to be manufactured.

It doesn't matter if starters played or not when it's this bad of a matchup.

It would not have been difficult to keep a halftime score under 50.

This is silly and sad.

North belongs in AA. That's not the issue. Caledonia is a AA school and is better than North. The issue is that many charter schools are so bad at sports they really shouldn't be in the MSHSL.
Charters and privates should probably have their own divisions in MSHSL.

Or, of course, the much easier option would be that not every team automatically makes the playoffs.

Multiple issues here.
1. Why is a team eligible after only playing 5 games?
2. Knowing this is going to happen, why don't sections give byes like they do in D1 College Conference tournaments? (Have seeds 9-16 play 1st round. Winners play seeds 5-8, and top 4 are in the QF round.)
3. Why are 1A and 2A teams that schedule non-conference games against 3A and 4A schools allowed to play in 1A or 2A?
4. Why are charter and private schools allowed to play against community public schools?

Just to start the list of issues.

Multiple issues here.
2. Knowing this is going to happen, why don't sections give byes like they do in D1 College Conference tournaments? (Have seeds 9-16 play 1st round. Winners play seeds 5-8, and top 4 are in the QF round.)
3. Why are 1A and 2A teams that schedule non-conference games against 3A and 4A schools allowed to play in 1A or 2A?
4. Why are charter and private schools allowed to play against community public schools?

I don't get this either. Why have a team if you're only going to play so few games? Are they having such a hard time scheduling teams?

Charters and privates should probably have their own divisions in MSHSL.

Well, they do in some other states but I guess it depends upon the private and charter school. Minnehaha has no problem playing larger schools here and Imhotep Charter (Philly) is a power house in that state.

Multiple issues here.

Exactly right. Surprised this wasnt at least mentioned today on some of the national talk shows, never heard of score like this. MSHSL needs to consider a mercy rule if you are down by 98 at half lol?

Looked up Echo Charter School in Echo, MN; about 70 students in grades K through 12. US News claims that they have 22 students in grades 9-12. So, I guess all or almost all of the high school's boys would have to play for the team for them to have a full practice squad.
They played games against 9 man junior varsity teams from their area about 7 or 8 years ago. Not sure if that’s what they still do

You know that a kid from a highly ranked school isn’t automatically good academically right?

I think he was referring to the ranking of the school (I posted a link to that from US News). It's not bad but I wouldn't call the school highly ranked. No place is going to release rankings of individual students.

I think he was referring to the ranking of the school (I posted a link to that from US News). It's not bad but I wouldn't call the school highly ranked. No place is going to release rankings of individual students.
That’s not at all what I’m saying.
I’m saying the quality of the high school doesn’t dictate a kids ability to achieve later in life.

a kid from a bad high school can be a doctor and a kid from a good high school can be a screw up

I’m saying the quality of the high school doesn’t dictate a kids ability to achieve later in life.

a kid from a bad high school can be a doctor and a kid from a good high school can be a screw up

Yes, of course, but he just made a flippant remark. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

I recently heard an interview where they were discussing these charter schools and their basketball teams. For the most part, the players are all new to the sport and love learning and playing the game. They do not expect to win, but still enjoy the camaraderie and experience. Sounds pretty good to me. Also, at what point can you back off on your effort and not be insulting the other team? It was a game not a practice or demonstration sport. Although, admittedly this was a bit extreme. I would like to see what happened after the game.

I recently heard an interview where they were discussing these charter schools and their basketball teams. For the most part, the players are all new to the sport and love learning and playing the game. They do not expect to win, but still enjoy the camaraderie and experience. Sounds pretty good to me. Also, at what point can you back off on your effort and not be insulting the other team? It was a game not a practice or demonstration sport. Although, admittedly this was a bit extreme. I would like to see what happened after the game.
I’m not upset by the score at all. It is what it is. I am upset by how bad the MSHSL is. Their one job is competitive fairness and they fail miserably in the two sports I care about:

For the most part, the players are all new to the sport and love learning and playing the game. They do not expect to win, but still enjoy the camaraderie and experience.
Then they shouldn't be in the MSHSL.

Just that simple. Have their own league of "new to the sport, small, immigrant-focused charter schools" that play amongst themselves.

By far and wide, this game is the fault of the MSHSL.

Again, if you are looking for consistency from the MSHSL, you are going to be waiting a very long time.

almost every decision they make is done on a knee-jerk, short-term type of reaction. there just doesn't seem to be any long-term thinking or planning behind it. it's like "here's a problem - fix it today" with no thought to future implications.

I have covered HS sports in 3 states, and the MN HS league is easily the most screwed up. FWIW, Iowa has separate organizations for Boys and Girls Sports, and IMHO they do a much better job.

McKenzie says none of his starters played after halftime.
My question is, "why did your starters play at all?"
Because he doesn’t want the team to have two full weeks off before they play in the state quarterfinals
He could have left his starters at home. I think this happened during COVID in hockey. I believe Maple Grove basically sent its JV to a Playoff game knowing they would win.

He still had 3 section games after this game. They beat Watertown-Mayer on Saturday by 45. Now play Tuesday in Semi-Final and Final later this week. He had options, but by no means is he required to let up.

He could have left his starters at home. I think this happened during COVID in hockey. I believe Maple Grove basically sent its JV to a Playoff game knowing they would win.

He still had 3 section games after this game. They beat Watertown-Mayer on Saturday by 45. Now play Tuesday in Semi-Final and Final later this week. He had options, but by no means is he required to let up.
I would argue it is the responsibility of coaches in non competitive games to run up the score as much as possible to draw the attention of people who don’t realize how awful the MSHSL team is doing at their jobs. Bad for the kids short term. If it draws enough attention to the stupidity of MSHSL it is better for kids long term

MSHLS literally wrecking football in the state.
I don’t have as many complaints in basketball. This would be one.

while we have 7 team sections in some places we have a top 10 team in the state all classes playing in a 16 team section in AA in a 1-16 matchup.

At least give a waiver for some double byes in the 16 team sections to give some teams some competitive games. Sheesh

Fox 9 did a story about it (pretty sure this hasn't been posted yet)

North was in a no win situation with this one for all the reasons that have been discussed in this thread. That said I don't buy McKenzie's "we did all we could" line. You don't score 98 points in one half if you are doing "all you can" to not run it up on the other team.

He should just come out and admit they tried to hang 100 on them in the first half because the other coach ticked him off by refusing to back out of the game. :)

Fox 9 did a story about it (pretty sure this hasn't been posted yet)

North was in a no win situation with this one for all the reasons that have been discussed in this thread. That said I don't buy McKenzie's "we did all we could" line. You don't score 98 points in one half if you are doing "all you can" to not run it up on the other team.

He should just come out and admit they tried to hang 100 on them in the first half because the other coach ticked him off by refusing to back out of the game. :)
He should’ve told his kids not to play in the playoffs. That’s the right lesson here.

those north kids have finite high school games. Why do the north starters have to sit one of their chances?

the starters played for 10 minutes.
next year there is going To be a shot clock and if the MSHSL doesn’t pull their heads out of their asses stuff like this will become more common.

The easiest compromise for the MSHSL is to put in a rule that you have to have played a minimum of X games to qualify for the playoffs.

This allows them to save face with their "everyone makes the playoffs" ideology.

The easiest compromise for the MSHSL is to put in a rule that you have to have played a minimum of X games to qualify for the playoffs.

This allows them to save face with their "everyone makes the playoffs" ideology.
Or just have a 16 team section be 5-6 rounds instead of 4 to give teams byes

Top Bottom