Minneapolis North HS beat Ubah Medical HS 143-4 last night. North had 8 players in double figures. Ubah Medical had 2 players with 2 points each.

Never heard of it. Why even schedule this game?

https://www.ubahmedicalacademy.org/

The mission of Ubah Medical Academy is to provide students with a rigorous education that will prepare them for college and the pursuit of medical, or other meaningful careers in our community. As a public charter high school, Ubah Medical Academy is open to all students, but our program is inclusively designed to meet the unique needs of international students and their families in a culturally sensitive environment.

Poor kids need to hit the books and forget about basketball. Pick up games at the local Y won't put your name in the paper when you lose by 140 so maybe get your balling in there.

How and why do you even play that game? I thought it was a misprint when I first saw the score

The mission of Ubah Medical Academy is to provide students with a rigorous education that will prepare them for college and the pursuit of medical, or other meaningful careers in our community. As a public charter high school, Ubah Medical Academy is open to all students, but our program is inclusively designed to meet the unique needs of international students and their families in a culturally sensitive environment.

I never heard of it either so I went to the US News profile (Ubah)

According to the US news profile, Ubah had 312 students so there are plenty of smaller high schools in Minnesota and I don't know why they would want to play North High. US News said they were 62% female though.

It was dumb to schedule the game. The only other thing that is bothersome is that it seems that North must have full court pressed them in the first half- I can't think of another way to score 98 in the first half while limiting the other team to 2. In an 18 minute half that is almost 3 made two point shots per minute. If they shot 70% (mostly layups and dunks) they would have to shoot every 15 seconds. I'd like to know how many shots Ubel got up in the first half and how many times they even got the ball past half court....

How and why do you even play that game? I thought it was a misprint when I first saw the score
On Twitter someone brought up the lack of a shot clock in high school basketball so that score is pretty shameful.

Game is on the schedule so you play it, and North shouldn't be expected to not try. But to score 143 points in a high school game you have to be pushing the tempo. At some point when you are up I don't know...say 50 points....the coach should have done something to drastically slow the pace of the game. To just keep on piling it on against a team that clearly wasn't able to offer any resistance is pretty pathetic on North's part.

Looking at the box score, it appears North could've played other players a lot more...starters all got their "numbers".....

No one scheduled the game, it was a playoff game. Also, I highly doubt the school takes their sports all that serious to begin with. They only played 8 games all year. Who knows, they might not even practice because they are too busy studying and being smart. Obviously no one wants to get beat down that badly but I'm just going to go out on a limb and say the kids that lost probably had a ton of fun in a weird way. Not to mention, when they are all running the country they will all have the last laugh!

North offered to call the game at halftime. Ubah said no.

McKenzie isn't a prick. He has blown out teams before. Don't hear anything bad about him. Unfortunate that this game had to take place.
Blowouts happen, especially in high school sports. But as has been pointed out, to score 98 points in one half of high school basketball you have to be playing at a really fast pace.

I wasn't at the game, but sure seems like the North coach could have done something to slow his guys up a little. Put in a passing requirement, work on jump shots, find a way to focus on something that will help you in a tight game down the line as opposed to just steamrolling an overmatched opponent en route to a 139 point victory.

No one scheduled the game, it was a playoff game. Also, I highly doubt the school takes their sports all that serious to begin with. They only played 8 games all year. Who knows, they might not even practice because they are too busy studying and being smart. Obviously no one wants to get beat down that badly but I'm just going to go out on a limb and say the kids that lost probably had a ton of fun in a weird way. Not to mention, when they are all running the country they will all have the last laugh!
This was a section playoff game. Does every team make the section playoffs? I have no idea, but I'm trying to remember back to when I played 25+ years ago and I don't recall if we were in some sort of section tourney every year or not.

No one scheduled the game, it was a playoff game.
the MSHSL is obsolete
Should be disbanded and start over.
need a new model.
not as bad in hoops but they’re ruining football.

Not everyone needs to make the playoffs.

This was a section playoff game. Does every team make the section playoffs? I have no idea, but I'm trying to remember back to when I played 25+ years ago and I don't recall if we were in some sort of section tourney every year or not.
Every team makes the playoffs

I saw where the coaches were posting the halftime scores on social media during the game.

This pops up from time to time with charter schools that apply for membership to the MSHSL.

There is a school in SW MN called the "Echo Charter School." same type of deal.
their boys and girls BB teams would play a few varsity games during the season, and then they would lose in the 1st round of the section playoffs by something like 83-18.

I covered a HS FB playoff game once involving the MN School for the Deaf. They put up a pretty good effort but just didn't have enough talent.

Now, to be clear, teams can opt out of the section playoffs or simply forfeit, so the losing team vs Mpls North chose to play the game. No one forced them to play.

but, as long as you have a system where everyone qualifies for the playoffs, you are going to have mismatches, especially in the 1st round where you might have the #1 seed playing the #16 seed.

Agree that the "every makes the playoffs model" is wrong and should be replaced. You should have to earn your way into the playoffs.

Furthermore, why is this school allowed to field its own varsity team? Wouldn't it be much better if they simply did a co-op with another school? Like Hopkins?

This pops up from time to time with charter schools that apply for membership to the MSHSL.

their boys and girls BB teams would play a few varsity games during the season, and then they would lose in the 1st round of the section playoffs by something like 83-18.

I covered a HS FB playoff game once involving the MN School for the Deaf. They put up a pretty good effort but just didn't have enough talent.

Now, to be clear, teams can opt out of the section playoffs or simply forfeit, so the losing team vs Mpls North chose to play the game. No one forced them to play.

but, as long as you have a system where everyone qualifies for the playoffs, you are going to have mismatches, especially in the 1st round where you might have the #1 seed playing the #16 seed.
You mentioned the MN School for the Deaf; Ubah beat them 71-33 in December -- one of their three wins. They were 3-4, and their losses were somewhat competitive, including a one-point loss.

One major problem is that North basketball doesn't belong in AA. I don't know what you do about that.

You mentioned the MN School for the Deaf; Ubah beat them 71-33 in December -- one of their three wins. They were 3-4, and their losses were somewhat competitive, including a one-point loss.

One major problem is that North basketball doesn't belong in AA. I don't know what you do about that.
If North beats Ubah by a score of 71-33, this thread isn't here.

Has North been beating other AA schools by 143-3??? Something just doesn't seem reasonable about that score. Like if high schoolers were playing against middle schoolers.

Is the classification purely by student population or does level of typical competition play into it?

I notice that Minneapolis North has a low student population for a big city high school that isn't a magnet school.

It was dumb to schedule the game. The only other thing that is bothersome is that it seems that North must have full court pressed them in the first half- I can't think of another way to score 98 in the first half while limiting the other team to 2. In an 18 minute half that is almost 3 made two point shots per minute. If they shot 70% (mostly layups and dunks) they would have to shoot every 15 seconds. I'd like to know how many shots Ubel got up in the first half and how many times they even got the ball past half court....
Perhaps North uses the Bob McDonald philosophy of basketball. "It's the other teams responsibility to rise to our level, not ours to drop down to their level.

North belongs in AA. That's not the issue. Caledonia is a AA school and is better than North. The issue is that many charter schools are so bad at sports they really shouldn't be in the MSHSL.

Looked up Echo Charter School in Echo, MN; about 70 students in grades K through 12. US News claims that they have 22 students in grades 9-12. So, I guess all or almost all of the high school's boys would have to play for the team for them to have a full practice squad.

Looks like North has scored over 100 pts 4 times this year in the regular season with another 3 games in the 90's.

they beat Mpls Roosevelt 80-18; and they have won a number of games by 40-pt or even 50-pt margins.

North is 22-6 overall, with losses to Chicago Simeon, Park Center, Edina, Western Christian (I believe that is an Iowa school), East Ridge and Wayzata.

North is ranked #1 in the State in Class AA according to the QRF system on Minnesota-Scores.net.

North belongs in AA. That's not the issue. Caledonia is a AA school and is better than North. The issue is that many charter schools are so bad at sports they really shouldn't be in the MSHSL.
I'll take your word for it. the Ubah game was an outlier, of course. Here are scores from last year's Section tournament:

North 102 SW Christian 48
North 60 Litchfield 38
North 84 Holy Family 47

Litchfield gave them a good run. This year, North is 22-6 and has beaten De La Salle, Hopkins, Moorhead and Johnson. Lost to East Ridge and Edina by 1 and in OT to Wayzata.

They got exactly what they deserved,when they fielded a team.
They will think twice next year,not everyone gets a trophy, boys.

I never heard of it either so I went to the US News profile (Ubah)

According to the US news profile, Ubah had 312 students so there are plenty of smaller high schools in Minnesota and I don't know why they would want to play North High. US News said they were 62% female though.
I hope these students don't have ambitions of becoming MDs based on the academic ranking.

Top Bottom