Michigan State - Minnesota Basketball Game Time Change - 11am!

What's done is done. Happy or not with the decision, it's time to move forward - either you attend the game or give away/sell your tickets.

I guess the thing I do like about this thread, is for the first time this season (or for longer than that) it seems like people really care. People are fighting and upset that they may not be able to go to this game. I think we were too apathetic a few years ago to really worry about missing one home game. That's a good sign, our program is going in the right directions. It's when we're not arguing and debating that we have to worry!

Piss poor non con sched makes every Big 10 game a must. Especially MSU.

Very, very poor decision to change game time, with only 20 days notice and given the holidays.

Maturi will be allowed to live BUT...

My friend's flight gets in at 8:30a.
I will say again that it is stupid to do this, with ONE little word: TIVO

As others have said, with a poor non-con, and the Michigan State game with Tom Izzo one of the premiere games at Williams, its pretty aggravating. If it were Northwestern, I'd be happy to have the game at 9am. Wait til you shell out $1200 for your tickets and the decisions of the athletic office will have a different impact. The supposedly apathy sensed at the Barn is one part smoldering resentment with the University's tendency to screw season ticket holders for the simple reason that...they can, and they know the HAVE us.

This is a big deal for many, and the last point of my rant: The football team lost a million to nothing against Iowa at home to end the season.

What is the point of this?

i think the point is that moonlight is mad about the basketball game time change and is taking it out on the football team.

i prefer not to have to get up and go to a basketball game at 11:00. i would rather it be played at 5:00. but it really doesn't affect me one way or another.

i have sympathy for those that can't come to the game now because they have to work. that doesn't seem fair. lots of my friends think it's great. that makes the party all that much longer and that's sometimes a good thing and sometimes a bad thing.

i wish they would have kept the game at 5.

If you have to ask

you don't want to hear the answer.:D
But I will give you one anyway.
This is the BT opener and possibly the premiere game this year, and was given to begin with a bit of a questionable berth considering its importance. For many season tickets holders to have to miss the game (a $70 investment) because of work on a non-holiday so that people can watch a game on TV live when there is technology to solve the problem for a team that, incidentally (and least importantly as it was listed last in my rant), looked hideous it's last time(s) out, well...

Yes, you can go ahead and rip me for my lack of generosity to and enthusiasm for the football program, but those of us who financed the Monson years expect a little more than this for our money. I've heard plenty of b!tching from ftball fans about crappy start times in the fall because of the Twins and their post conference play, and it seemed to me that the level of play was oft mentioned. BUT those were still Saturdays. While it may not win me points with the fans here, I did notice that the last few games of the season were, well, less than scintillating and I can sincerely hope that they redeem some respectability in this opportunity.
It shows again that those in academia lack perspective on the rest of the world. Most of do not get a 3 week winter break once we grow up.

For the record I also was looking forward to - coming home from work - and watching the game. Still lagging behind technology and am without Tivo and I don't have the NFL network either. Will miss out on both like a lot of people. Bites.

It baffles me how this basketball board continues to rip on the football program over and over. Small man disease or what? I have season tickets to football and basketball and am on the waiting list for hockey (will get in probably 20 years). I love all gopher sports.
You should be congratulating the football program for going to a bowl game.
Go and look at the programs that are NOT bowling this year....Michigan, Illinois, Tennessee, Purdue, Arkansas, Arizona State. Who would have put the Gophers above those teams going into this season? Who would have put the program as a whole above those teams?

As far as bottom tier bowl games go the Insight is nowhere near the low as the Music City and Sun Bowl. If we could rewind time and replace all the December trips to Nashville with Phoenix I don't think we would be bashing the Gophers like a lot of bowl bashers have. I would love to see how Wisconsin or Iowa would have traveled to Nashville or El Paso year 2-3 years in a row. Phoenix is another story.

As far as the 11am start goes I think we truely screwed up by scheduling it on NYE in the first place. I would rather see a 2PM start but at least they are trying to do something, and that is a lot more than they have done in years past.

If this is a money issue and you are worried about your $35 face ticket value you should be more pissed at having to pay good earned money to see High Point, Concordia-St. Paul, Georgia State, St. Cloud and Northern State.

Except the Sun Bowl goes to the #4 Big Ten team.

1) The Sun Bowl no longer gets a Big Ten team.
2) When the Sun Bowl got a Big Ten team, it was never the #4 team. It was the #5 team.

The Insight gets the #6 Big Ten team now. I think the reason most feel the Insight is better is because Phoenix is a far superior destination than El Paso.

My point was that the Sun Bowl is/was more prestigious in that it got the better team, even if I confused my Texas bowls. El Paso seems like a fun place too, just saying.

Which Big Ten team went to the Music City Bowl?

And which Big Ten team went to the Music City Bowl?

None. What's that have to do with it? His point is Phoenix was the better destination. Had the Gophers gone to Phoenix instead of Nashville or El Paso, then people would not have complained as much.

They used to, obviously, and it has nothing to do with anything, just curious.

I have to work New Years Eve day, but I was able to sell my tickets to someone I know that is able to go. I am not happy I will not be able to see this game but at least I have some Gopher fans sitting in my seats.

Quit bitching so much and tell me if the bowl game will be carried by a local affiliate. Have not heard one word from the U athletic dept. or administration. Do the Gophers really have a marketing dept. Can't the tell us they are trying to get it locally televised even if they made it up.

This is great news. I'm glad the final game for football took precedence over a regular season game of basketball.

Quit bitching so much and tell me if the bowl game will be carried by a local affiliate. Have not heard one word from the U athletic dept. or administration. Do the Gophers really have a marketing dept. Can't the tell us they are trying to get it locally televised even if they made it up.

the Football game will only be shown on NFL Network. no local TV has the rights to the game. the rights to the game is only to the NFL Network sorry.

the Football game will only be shown on NFL Network. no local TV has the rights to the game. the rights to the game is only to the NFL Network sorry.">>>>>>>>>>

No local TV has the rights so just drop the whole thing right? That's not how you get things done, though it is very Gopher like. Instead of just giving up what not jump start the brain and get creative. I can come up with many ideas but I will just mention the one that worked it Kansas. They (I assume the University) or some one made arrangements to air the game on the local Fox affiliate. That's wasn't too difficult.

DON'T JUST STAND THERE - DO SOMETHING

Or even pretend you are doing something. I sure hope there is no Marketing Degree coming out of the Carlson School of Mgmt.

The TV situation really sucks..was not aware that the NFL Network was televising the game.. I wish (someone who knew this) would have asked Mr Maturi .. on the Sid & Dave CCO show this morning .. why this is happening and why a local channel (45?) wouldn't be interested in trying to pick the game up locally. It would have been interesting to hear Mr Maturi's response.. after all, he did state his salary this morning in an honest way.......so I would have expected an honest answer again from Mr Maturi. However, I'm sure his answer would have been something about TV having the say in what gets shown on what network etc...."It's out of our control." Sadly, that's the case.
Go-Gophers-2 & 0 to start the Big Ten.....

People: It's all about MONEY!!!!! It does NOT matter how much we bitch and moan. MONEY TALKS!!!

AND....all it ever says to me is "GOODBYE". Money does not give a rip about us peons. But....I am still rooting for the Gophers to beat KS.

The TV situation really sucks..was not aware that the NFL Network was televising the game.. I wish (someone who knew this) would have asked Mr Maturi .. on the Sid & Dave CCO show this morning .. why this is happening and why a local channel (45?) wouldn't be interested in trying to pick the game up locally.

FYI - Comcast IS picking this up locally. The U administration DID work very hard to get it done. Basically, if you have Comcast, Dish, or Direct TV, you will get the game. Info linked below.

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=38605&SPID=3280&DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=3637224

Well that is good news. For folks w/o DirecTV-Dish-Comcast ... that's what friends are for, or that's what bars are for.

Top Bottom